Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephants capable of insight

Von Bismarck

Kandula, a seven year old Asian elephant living in Washington D.C.’s National Zoo, has proven that elephants are as smart as those that spend a lot of time around them have believed. In an experiment carried out by researchers at the zoo, the little elephant figured out all on his own, without resorting to trial and error, how to go get a cube to use as a footstool to help him reach some food that was just out of reach. The research team, led by Preston Foerder of the City University of New York, has published the results of their study on PLoS ONE.

Study shows elephants capable of insight

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xanthurion2

• DigitalDreamer

• xXHellkittiesXx

• Cherry-

Animals are much smarter than we give them credit for.

And they are WAY cute :lol:

I like elephants. Nice find BFB :tu:

Just proves that animals are smarter than some poeple I know.

A lot of people are also afraid of mice...

i know but elephants can just stomp on them and a person would get their shoes/socks/feet bloody and that would be nasty but elephants walk around all day stepping on things so it shouldn't bother them

i know but elephants can just stomp on them and a person would get their shoes/socks/feet bloody and that would be nasty but elephants walk around all day stepping on things so it shouldn't bother them

Unless they don't want to get their feet all nasty and bloody... :P

So many of our four footed brothers and sisters are intelligent and insightful and we are much less for not acknowledging that. In my experience I have learned that the more like an equal you treat an animal, the more like an equal they become.

Well, duh. We needed a study to know this? I realize humans tend to anthropomorphize everything but all one has to do is watch the critters for a while to know that most of them are not just "dumb beasts". Seems to me we should have been blown absolutely away with the fact that a Gorilla could "lie" after hanging out with humans, but there was little fanfare over or interest in, that discovery.