Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two Legged Dogman Experiences Database

NatureBoff

A creature from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. It appears to be a man in a dog suit seen with an old man inside a hotel room. The old man's name is Horace Derwent, the former owner of the Overlook Hotel. Though his name is not mentioned in the movie, it is in the book of the same name. The dogman's real name is never brought up.

The dogman is the scariest thing I've ever seen!

(I work in a shoe store, men’s department.)

Me: “Good morning, just let me know if you have any questions today.”

Customer: “Thank you. I am looking for shoes.”

Me: “Well, you are in the right store. What kind of shoes?”

Customer: “Shiny grey.”

Me: “You mean a silver shoe?”

Customer: “Exactly! But let’s just call it shiny grey.”

A creature from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. It appears to be a man in a dog suit seen with an old man inside a hotel room. The old man's name is Horace Derwent, the former owner of the Overlook Hotel. Though his name is not mentioned in the movie, it is in the book of the same name. The dogman's real name is never brought up.

The dogman is the scariest thing I've ever seen!

Thanks for the banks of info!! The photo was especially interesting and a genuine case of a two-legged dogman caught on camera.

Haymarsh.jpg

Edited by RingFenceTheCity

Don't really think my original post that was pasted onto this thread, from my original one, belongs on here.... but.... it's anyone's take - i just wanted to let you guys know I posted it in a different thread, not this one...

-Elizabeth :)

This is Elizabeth's post from her thread:
Hi there... :)

Interesting... I got the feeling that "he" is more "person" than animal, but I could for sure be wrong... it WAS crazy how fast he de-figured and shot to the other side of the house...

Isn't it odd that we don't have lots of reports of 'rino men' or 'giraffe men' and yet many reports of dog men. Isn't it freaky that it centers around an extremely common animal that most of us would see every single day. Its almost like most, if not all, of the 'dog men' sightings are, wait for it......DOGS.

LOL!!!! :lol:

I can't remember whether this is posted in this thread or not, but I think this is a cousin of the dogman. Notice the black shiney coat and the standing on hind legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it odd that we don't have lots of reports of 'rino men' or 'giraffe men' and yet many reports of dog men. Isn't it freaky that it centers around an extremely common animal that most of us would see every single day. Its almost like most, if not all, of the 'dog men' sightings are, wait for it......DOGS.

I agree with your point but not that all are dogs my OP was re-posted here as many others have been, i had never herd of dog-man before my OP was posted on this thred and i know what i saw was not a dog dor do i think its the "Dog-man" i dont know what it was but i have studdied and worked with animals since i was a small child and i have never known a creature like the one i saw. i have reserched it and still found nothing matching or close to it.

• Like 1

I agree with your point but not that all are dogs my OP was re-posted here as many others have been, i had never herd of dog-man before my OP was posted on this thred and i know what i saw was not a dog dor do i think its the "Dog-man" i dont know what it was but i have studdied and worked with animals since i was a small child and i have never known a creature like the one i saw. i have reserched it and still found nothing matching or close to it.

Sorry, I made a mistake. You saw a wyvern. It's detailed on the coat of arms of the 1st Duke of Marlborough. Notice the centre symbol is that of a rampant black-dog. See here:

1st_Duke_of_Marlborough_arms.png

Sorry, I made a mistake. You saw a wyvern. It's detailed on the coat of arms of the 1st Duke of Marlborough. Notice the centre symbol is that of a rampant black-dog. See here:

1st_Duke_of_Marlborough_arms.png

That center symbol is ABSOLUTELY NOT a rampant black-dog. It is a sable LION rampant regardant.

That center symbol is ABSOLUTELY NOT a rampant black-dog. It is a sable LION rampant regardant.

It's a subtle reference imv.

It's a subtle reference imv.

Everything seems to be a reference in your view... But it's heraldry, and that's a lion, no reference to a dog in any, shape or form.

Everything seems to be a reference in your view... But it's heraldry, and that's a lion, no reference to a dog in any, shape or form.

Heraldry is connected to church stone masonry. The wyvern is a typical feature:

Ardfert Cathedral

The pre-12th century block of masonry is clearly visible in the north wall. One of the two smaller churches is a fine example of late Romanesque and the other is a plain 15th century structure with a carving of a wyvern on one of the windows.[2][3] In the north-east corner is a double rectangular niche containing a grotesque head with lips pulled back to reveal large teeth. This may be a variant of the 'mouth-puller' motif often found in Spain and western France

• Like 1

Heraldry is connected to church stone masonry. The wyvern is a typical feature:

Ardfert Cathedral

The pre-12th century block of masonry is clearly visible in the north wall. One of the two smaller churches is a fine example of late Romanesque and the other is a plain 15th century structure with a carving of a wyvern on one of the windows.[2][3] In the north-east corner is a double rectangular niche containing a grotesque head with lips pulled back to reveal large teeth. This may be a variant of the 'mouth-puller' motif often found in Spain and western France

Ya know, when you directly quote from an external website, you are supposed to provide the link... Here's the link to your direct quote that you didn't provide... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardfert_Cathedral Unfortunately, that Wikipedia entry does not connect heraldry to church stone masonry.

It also has no bearing on the fact that the animal in the center of the coat of arms you provided is not a dog in any way. The animal in the center of the shield of the arms is still a sable lion. Note that I did not dispute your statement that the arms supporters are wyverns, as indeed they are. Your quoting my statement about the lion with an unlinked quote about wyverns on a church is just a dodge.

Dogmen-type cryptids have been depicted in church stone too..

so no defence? every time and you try to change animal or subject

NatureBoff,

Go to the Nashville, Tennessee alternate news radio show in my signature. Click on start, let it load a while, go a little past center for my true unexplained story. I was the only caller that night with the show's guest Annie Wilder. Her new book "Trucker Ghost Stories" include the strange creatures that you mention. Congratulations on the 18 pages about your inquiry. I will read everyone of them.

SCANIA Hit! was finally told by me on U.S. radio with 32 replies....that is off topic but my last comment is on your topic. :yes:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152891

Pass by the SCANIA veneer log truck "Big bump!" story if you want just to catch my last comment and question related to large man-like-wolves. For many years listening nightly to Coast to Coast AM in the States. There have been so many spooky encounters told to expert werewolf guests and by Open Lines callers about huge man-like wolves along North America's wilderness roads and highways. :huh: Those stories never cease to amaze me! :no: I spent 16 years in and out of woodlands, a lot late in the night, and I hope I never see what you did!

Female looking through the window:

Update 7/16/13:

Well, after a relatively quiet year the lights and unexplained activity is back! Three weeks ago my husband and his mother who never believed us when we told her about the flashes of light were spending the weekend at the cabin. Later in the night after my mother-in-law went to bed my husband saw some flashes a ways off in the woods. He attempted to get his mother out of bed to come look but she was too scared to look. The following weekend they were up there again. The first night was cloudy and rainy. My mother-in-law said she saw 2 bright falling stars. When my husband asked how she could see them when it was so cloudy she did not know. The second night was a stormy night with lightening and thunder. They were sitting out on the screened in porch and saw what we call the 'mutant lighting bugs' which look like lighting bugs but about 5x bigger. I saw them myself a few years ago. They flash quick little flashes just like lighting bugs just bigger. Well, they went to bed and in the middle of the night my mother-in-law got up to use the bathroom. That's when she noticed that a entire colony of carpenter ants had comemup through a crack in the wall the were marching across the cabin floor into the kitchen.. She grabbed the broom and began sweeping them up when she looked up and saw 2 huge glowing red eyes looking in at her through the big picture window in the living room. The window is 4 feet off the ground. Well this frightened her so badly that she awoke my husband and asked himfor one of his valiums. I asked her about the incident and asked if it could have been a bear looking in at her and the reflection of light made it look as if his eyes were glowing red? She was insistant that it was no bear and that the eyes were huge and glowing. I said, "Oh, so now you know there are aliens up there!". She said, "There is defiantly something going on up there!"

Thanks for the suggestions about lighting and power lines. There are no powerlines or electricity to this cabinor on the road it is on. How can lighting strike in the same place over and ovef for more than 60 minutes at 2-5 minute intervals on a clear/star-filled night?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Strange Creature Sighting in Western Pennsylvania

I was asked about this in another thread, so I figured I would just post it here instead. This is something that happened to me personally. I'm trying to jot this down from memory in the most straightforward way I can:

I was a teenager (too young to drive, so I think approximately 14 or 15 at the time). I was riding home with my mom. We lived in an area that was kind of between a small town and suburb and was mostly rural. The area was in the process of being developed during those years and later. Today there are many more housing plans and whatnot, but the immediate location is very much unchanged right now.

We were going along and I remember it was a very dark night. Thinking back it seemed unusually dark, so I assume there was no moon. I believe it was summer time and the trees tended to grow around and over the road at the location. That might have contributed to the darkness I noticed in the area.

I should point out that my mom, while not purely skeptical, is definitely not prone to any kind of outlandish thinking. I have never ever heard her react the way she did that night. If she hadn't reacted, I probably would have assumed it was my incorrect interpretation of what we saw.

We came to a stretch of road that was wooded on both sides with a house set back behind a hill and trees on one side (the left based on the direction we were traveling) and nothing but brush and trees on the other. It dipped down slightly then curved back up and to the right again. Right about there something darted in front of the headlights. It was much bigger than a fox but smaller than a full grown deer (which are notorious for darting in front of cars in our area). It ran on all fours and was tall enough to be partially seen over the headlights. I'm pretty sure we were in their mini van, so this wasn't a small car. I remember seeing a moving shape I assumed was its back but I don't recall a tail or any kind of fur/skin covering. It was too dark to make that much detail out. It ran kind of low, I got the impression it didn't have spindly legs like a fawn or young deer might. It definitely seemed to run more like a canine.

What struck me was the head. It literally turned and looked at is as it streaked in front of the car. I don't think it broke eye contact before it disappeared into the brush. I mean full face turn, which didn't seem like a normal behavior for the creatures we usually see running across the road. Usually they focus their attention on getting across, but that could have been a fluke thing.

The headlights hit it and the features looked part animal, part human. I remember a shallow muzzle but it was hard to tell from my front on view. I remember the cheeks as being broader, maybe that gave it the human-esque face appearance. I can't really remember ears but they may have been there because I really only had time to see the face (and I think it startled me so much I didn't attempt to see anything else). It moved really fast and was VERY close to the front of the car as it passed although we never touched it (or again, I assume not since there was no feeling of impact or any damage or scuff marks/fur on the car that we noticed).

My mom didn't have time to slow down until after it had streaked by. And she didn't stop, just slowed down until we were around the next bend. She started saying "WHAT WAS THAT!?" over and over again. I remember covering my ears with my hands and telling her to please be quiet over and over. It was like my mind couldn't work out what had just happened. I was finally able to say I had no idea what it was. I wasn't crying or anything but it really put me on edge (and I think she felt the same way).

I don't recall my dad saying much about it, but he's a very logical kind of guy and probably brushed it off. We never really talked about it after that.

What really made me think is that when we first moved into that house (which was a short distance up the road from the location) the neighbor girl who was about my age told me some weird story about walking down another part of the road and seeing what she thought was a bear. She said it looked like a half bear half dog standing on all fours in an empty field but as they passed by they saw it stand up on its hind legs and walk off. I'm not certain on the location but I think it's one of the areas that have since been built up with houses. Her family was a bit...different. I thought maybe she was just trying to impress me when she told me the story and I didn't think much of it. I kind of regret not asking more questions, but I was practically a kid at the time.

Then more recently my husband (who lived in the area his whole life like I did and traveled that road just as frequently) told me that a few years after my sighting he was driving on that road and saw something very similar and he never figured out what it was.

And just as a point of reference, here is a Google Map of the area we were passing by when my mom and I saw it (the length of road where the trees stretch over the entire width of both lanes - not by the paved driveways. We were heading south east to north west - assuming that up is North on Google Maps):

Shel's Creature Sighting Location - Google Maps

I have thought about asking my mom if she remembers what she saw. I might do that. Learning more about other people's reports have really brought this back into my mind. I think I just tucked it away for a long time. We never did see anything like that ever again. And we were very familiar with the various animals that were often crossing the road, like cats, rabbits, possums, deer, racoons even the occasional fox. None of those looked like what we saw.

Grifynne, Apr 27, 2013

I thought it would be easier to follow if I made this as a separate post. I just chatted with my husband about his encounter. He said he also recalls his mother talking about something similar as well (they live very close to where my sighting was, definitely close enough that a creature could roam that area if it was willing to cross a few more roads or train tracks).

He said he was driving by the same spot where my sighting was when he saw something along the left side of the road. He said it had a head that looked to be about chest high (I assume he meant chest high to a full grown man but I can ask him for clarification) and it had two yellow reflective eyes. He noticed that it couldn't be a deer because deer eyes are positioned on the side of the head while this had eyes in front like a predator.

He also said it did not move like a deer. It started moving away from him and the oddest part is that it also watched him the whole time. He also felt that this wasn't typical animal behavior at the time. It kept staring at him as it moved out of sight (just as it did to my mom and I). From what he explained, he saw it approximately 45 degrees from the driver's side of his car and he just watched it until he couldn't look at it anymore (I assume he meant as he drove by). He said it looked like it was moving laterally from him.

And he said if he recalls correctly, his mom told him about a strange incident once where a similar creature was staring at their house from across the yard. Just to put this into perspective, the house they lived in at the time had a pretty big yard and was surrounded on 3 sides by woods with a small back road on the fourth side that was bordered by trees as well. This is a pretty rural looking area. I guess she looked out the window and saw a pair of eyes peering out at the house from the tree line. My husband said it fit the description of what he saw, so I assume it was the same height.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my mom yet, and perhaps I should ask his mom about it as well.

Grifynne, Apr 28, 2013

Another update:

I just spoke to my mom (and she knew exactly what I was going to ask when I started to say "Do you remember that night when we were driving on Franklin Rd...?" She basically said she remembers it the way I did, with the face watching us as it passed and the eyes standing out the most. To her she said they looked human-esque. She said she did not see any more detail than I did so she doesn't know if it had a tail or fur or anything like that. She felt it wasn't a dog or deer or any other animal and she said she never told me this but she actually saw it 2 or 3 other times since then and that it always seemed to be looking at her when she passed. She also did not notice an eye color, just that it was shadowy and what she interpreted as eyes looked big. She did note that she hasn't seen it in a very long time, almost as if it's not there anymore (or maybe it just got better at hiding). The way she described it though was as if the eyes just appeared out of the darkness and stared at her as she drove by.

Edited by NatureBoff

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen something I would place in the Dog Man category. It wasn't a dog at all though. It was a coyote, albeit far bigger than the norm. It came out of some bushes and ran across the road on it's hind legs. I've seen the two-leeged dog before, the only problem with this "coyote" running on two legs is how they were situated on the animal. The front legs were like a normal coyotes should be. The back legs were situated like a humans legs. The knees bent backwards like a humans. So when it ran across the road, it ran like a human, not like a canine at all. I apologize for the lack of details right now.

• Like 1