Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scotland to ban Smoking

Talon

Whats that supposed to mean ant-girl?

ummm that if you smoke outside and you raise sheep...thats not good for em either lol

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seraphina

• Talon

• Phenomenon

• Velikovsky

AHh well in countries with climates like ireland and scotland if people are forced to smoke outside all winter constantly i can see quite a few quitting.

252301[/snapback]

I guess you've never smoked then tongue.gif

Smokers always SAY they're gonna quit, but few do because of the weather.

Smoking is a surprisingly powerful addiction.

Are we winning? It would be interesting to see the smoking statistics for the past four decades compared with now. Even if it was just the sales statistics from cigarette companies. Has there been a drop. Even with all the information about what cigarettes do to an individual, new people begin smoking all the time. Will the next generation of smokers - the ones who smoke outside or in specially designated buildings be less in number?

Oh I'm not talking about numbers smoking, I'm talking about action being taken to combat anti-social behaviour such as subjecting others to smoke which is unwanted, unwelcome, unbecomming, unhealthy and undesired.

Are we winning? It would be interesting to see the smoking statistics for the past four decades compared with now. Even if it was just the sales statistics from cigarette companies. Has there been a drop. Even with all the information about what cigarettes do to an individual, new people begin smoking all the time. Will the next generation of smokers - the ones who smoke outside or in specially designated buildings be less in number?

AHh well in countries with climates like ireland and scotland if people are forced to smoke outside all winter constantly i can see quite a few quitting.

252301[/snapback]

I visited a northern city in Canada's Arctic after a similar ban was implemented. At -40 degrees celcius there were still many people braving the cold to smoke. Really....what's cold as a deterrent compared to a long painful fight and eventual death from cancer.

I visited a northern city in Canada's Arctic after a similar ban was implemented. At -40 degrees celcius there were still many people braving the cold to smoke. Really....what's cold as a deterrent compared to a long painful fight and eventual death from cancer.

This is very true.

However its also is a greta point for the banning of it.

At least then its only the smokers who are killing themselves an risking that death.

We non-smokers made our choice when we lloked at the facts , its not our fault smokers were stupid enough to start.

NO-ONE can even plead ignorance anymore, everyone knows the dangers.

Thats why they should have their right stripped.

Hey.....question.....

Should a country have the right to refuse medicare to an individual that becomes ill with a direct link to smoking? Should the individual instead have to pay for themselves?

Of course this question only makes sense for countries where medicare is a responsibility of the government.

Edited by LoPar

I'm a smoker. It is a bad habit and I wish since the government is taking control of private businesses, they ought to just do away with smoking all together.

Don't they have a law in New York also to where you cannot smoke on the street?... and I believe in another state, you cannot smoke in your car if you have children??

Joc most pubs HAVE to employ staff, this mean sthey are bound by laws taht entitle workers to be able to work safely.

Yes but if you don't want to work in that environment...no one is forcing you to. Go work at a smoke free establishment. Why don't you just take responsibility for your own lives. If you don't want to be around people smoking...then don't. But if you allow the government to make all those little decisions for you, it is only a matter of time until you will be pulled over for speeding Wun, and the police officer will scan your drivers license and give you a ticket not only for speeding, but because according to the information in your file, you haven't consumed enough carrots this year.

Yes but if you don't want to work in that environment...no one is forcing you to. Go work at a smoke free establishment. Why don't you just take responsibility for your own lives. If you don't want to be around people smoking...then don't. But if you allow the government to make all those little decisions for you, it is only a matter of time until you will be pulled over for speeding Wun, and the police officer will scan your drivers license and give you a ticket not only for speeding, but because according to the information in your file, you haven't consumed enough carrots this year.

So true Joc, I could'nt agree more. laugh.gif

With everything that we know about smoking, and how bad it is, and how bad second hand smoke is... you'd think that people would be behind regulating it.

You can't avoid smokers all the time, and especially not if they're allowed to smoke in bars and restaurants.

If smoking didn't affect anyone besides the smoker, it'd be an entirely different story. But unfortunately, that isn't the case. So in comes the restrictions.

I always hear about 2 different studies on second hand smoke. One says it does no harm and the other one doesn't. If it does harm you, I can imagine what a city bus can do to you.

Joc, thats like saying I should be allowed to open a bar where you're allowed to kill people inside!

Hey.....question.....

Should a country have the right to refuse medicare to an individual that becomes ill with a direct link to smoking?  Should the individual instead have to pay for themselves? 

Of course this question only makes sense for countries where medicare is a responsibility of the government.

252384[/snapback]

As heavily taxed as cigarettes are I say yes. We're contributing billions of dollars to the state and federal budget.

See smoking is patriotic grin2.gif

Should a country have the right to refuse medicare to an individual that becomes ill with a direct link to smoking? Should the individual instead have to pay for themselves?

Not if the direct link is from second-hand smok. However, if your a smoker yourself you should certainly be put to the back of the lists (which the NHS does anyway) while people who arn't out to waste the hospitals time by self inflicted disease should be treated first, even if that measn continually pushing the smokers to the back due to new victims of their addition being brought in for treatement.

Not if the direct link is from second-hand smok. However, if your a smoker yourself you should certainly be put to the back of the lists (which the NHS does anyway) while people who arn't out to waste the hospitals time by self inflicted disease should be treated first, even if that measn continually pushing the smokers to the back due to new victims of their addition being brought in for treatement.

252701[/snapback]

Sounds fair I can live with that, don't refuse service but you have to wait.

Should a country have the right to refuse medicare to an individual that becomes ill with a direct link to smoking?  Should the individual instead have to pay for themselves? 

Hey, I never thought about that. IMO, anyone who is younger than the age where they may have started smoking out of ignorance SHOULD pay for medicare for an illness that is caused by smoking. Even lung cancer treatments should be payed out of his own pocket, since its smoking that increases his chances of getting lung cancer greatly!

As heavily taxed as cigarettes are I say yes. We're contributing billions of dollars to the state and federal budget.

Then contribute more and pay for your own medicare.

And cause billions of damage to yourselves and others.

Show me a statistic that says smokers cost more than they contribute.

The government is making a profit.

Why do you think its still legal despite how much some people hate it.

Nobody said it costs more than it contributes, rolleyes.gif but there is a reason why taxes are through the roof, and its to make sure that there is money to undo the damage it does although while making a profit. And lets face it, we live in a capitalist society, the whole nation is geered to making a profit, doesn't care about individual people's health as long as it can make a buck.

252757[/snapback]

Thats because things like lung cancer and other sicknesses arent put up in statistics cuz one could never be sure if it was caused by cigarettes or if it would have happened anyway.

That's wonderful. I hope they put a ban on smoking there. (We are working on a ban here in Cincinnati).

If you don't want to be around people smoking...then don't.

Joc, this quotation is a prime example of why I hate smokers so much...the sheer overwhelming bloody mindedness of some of them.

Yes Joc, you're free to smoke if you want...we have no right to tell you how you kill yourself, and you're free to inhale as much poison as you like. However, you have no right whatsoever to make that same choice for the people around you.

Being a smoker does not give you some kind of special privilage to decide where other people are able to sit comfortable in their free time. Smoking is a choice that you made...the coworkers of smokers haven't made it, the families of smokers haven't made it, and the children of smokers haven't made it, but because of the same attitude you've expressed, you've just made the choice for them.

If smokers feel the need to smoke, then they should do it in privacy, away from other people, simple as that. Do you think a person should have the right to walk into a bar, start picking their nose, and then insist that everyone around them eats it with them? Because that's exactly what smoking in public is like.