Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaire's plans to build a floating city

Still Waters

PayPal-founder Peter Thiel was so inspired by Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand's novel about free-market capitalism - that he's trying to make its title a reality.

The Silicon Valley billionaire has funnelled $1.25million to the Seasteading Institute, an organisation that aspires to launch a floating colony into international waters, freeing them and like-minded thinkers to live by libertarian ideals.

Mr Thiel recently told Details magazine: 'The United States Constitution had things you could do at the beginning that you couldn't do later. So the question is, can you go back to the beginning of things? How do you start over?'

The floating sovereign nations that Mr Thiel imagines would be built on oil-rig-like platforms anchored in areas free of regulation, laws, and moral conventions.

The Seasteading Institute says it will 'give people the freedom to choose the government they want instead of being stuck with the government they get'.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• WoIverine

• Rlyeh

• Beastly Decimal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're trying to build Olympus, then leave all of us "normals" (or mortals) here in the heavily governed hell (earth) that they've destroyed. Conspiracies, man...

He's awfully proud for a man who is basically repeating the same thing humans have been doing since they felt Africa getting too small for them.

They're trying to build Olympus, then leave all of us "normals" (or mortals) here in the heavily governed hell (earth) that they've destroyed. Conspiracies, man...

They've destroyed?

This reminds me of a book I once read. But on a much smaller scale.

Hmmm... maybe Atlantis was a man made floating city and not an actual continent. ;-)

I like this quote:

Mr Thiel said: 'the nature of government is about to change at a very fundamental level'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024761/Atlas-Shrugged-Silicon-Valley-billionaire-reveals-plan-launch-floating-start-country-coast-San-Francisco.html#ixzz1WKyXa2q9

Let's hope the change is for the better for democracy, something we have completely lost in this day and age of hackable voting machines with secret codes few people get to assess, that leave no trace of your vote, no verification of if it registered your vote the way you put it in.

Edited by regeneratia

Whatever associated governments won't allow this to happen. It will show everyone that they realistically are losing their perceived "control". Cue civic unrest. Awesome project though, I wonder if this guy can succeed with his "Metropolis" idea.

It will fail because his ideaology fails.

Governments will have no problem with it. The guy is rich, rich people run the world.

They've destroyed?

Well, it's still functional to a point, but it's going down. :hmm:

Well, it's still functional to a point, but it's going down. :hmm:

You gotta blame someone.

Few restrictions on weapons? Guess they'll have to defend themselves from the lower classes.

The United Nations currently only requires that a sovereign state has an effective and independent government within a defined territory. According to current international law norms, states are only required to have an effective and independent system of government pursuant to a community within a defined territory.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty

The Principality of Sealand has an interesting history that may be relevant: post-50472-0-05320000-1314558045_thumb.j

There were several attempted takeovers by invasion and in the British courts, one by pirates if my memory is correct.

http://www.sealandgov.org/About.html

Edited by StarMountainKid

yeah floating city in the middle of the ocean so a hurricane can whiz by and tear it apart in two seconds

It reminds me of a city sim from Secondlife...

A city floating on the high seas would not fall under anyone's jurisdiction so, we're talking an independent nation afloat.

Ehhh sounds stupid to me. Like xanthurion said. Hurricanes will be a big issue. Also, by floating I thought it meant literally floating not a city held up by a slab of land being supported by 4 beams. :/

Flooding will also be an issue depending on how high it will be. But how do people plan on getting on and away from this "floating city" without aircraft? So it's for a few well-off rich people to live on?

This is a bad idea and I don't think it should ever come to fruition for several reasons.

Hmmm... maybe Atlantis was a man made floating city and not an actual continent. ;-)

Interesting thought!

yeah floating city in the middle of the ocean so a hurricane can whiz by and tear it apart in two seconds

Can't say I'd like to be "in the city" when that happened. Can't imagine they can make it storm proof. Hope they've picked their spot well.

You cant ever escape man wanting control over other men, its a genetic flaw in man kind. Even though its a great idea before they know it there will be those telling others how to live,how to pay for it and what they can and cannot have or do. Man is a flawed,control FREAK of nature.