Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Martin Luther King memorial made in China

Persia

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Persia

• FLOMBIE

• SHaYap

• jugoso

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have a Dream that one day little Chinese boys and Girls will be working in a sweat shop making a statue of me"

Quote:

"More than 150 granite blocks, weighing some 1,600 tons, were then shipped from Xiamen to the port of Baltimore, and reassembled by a team of 100 workmen, including ten Chinese stone masons brought over specifically for the project."

I guess there is a shortage of rocks and skilled stone-masons in the US.

This kind of thinking pretty much sums up one of the major problems in the US right now IMHO.

The statue, meanwhile, will be 11ft taller than the statues in the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials. It is unclear how much money was saved by making it in China

That kind of thinking pretty much sums up one of the major problems in the world right now IMHO.

Edited by third_eye

"I have a Dream that one day little Chinese boys and Girls will be working in a sweat shop making a statue of me"

Quote:

"More than 150 granite blocks, weighing some 1,600 tons, were then shipped from Xiamen to the port of Baltimore, and reassembled by a team of 100 workmen, including ten Chinese stone masons brought over specifically for the project."

I guess there is a shortage of rocks and skilled stone-masons in the US.

This kind of thinking pretty much sums up one of the major problems in the US right now IMHO.

Great post!! :tu: That is so true!!

I know how this is being spun, but bottom line, a slap in the face to the many great African Americna sculptors in the US.

I know how this is being spun, but bottom line, a slap in the face to the many great African Americna sculptors in the US.

You are 100% riht. and noy only a slap in the face to AA sculptors, but to every American citizen as I see it.

Who makes these kinds of decisions? If we are really talking dollars and cents here, they mentioned 1600 TONS of rocks bein shipped from China. granted, the guy is an awesome sculptor and was chosen for his ability. But wouldn´t it make more sense at the very least, to bring him and his team to the US to do the work? It must have increased the overall costs dramatically. So what could be the reasoning for this decision and who is responsible? It so so disrespectful to MLK jr and everythin he stood for. Could that have been the goal? Let´s have them build a sculpture of of a great American but we´ll do it in China. I certainly know there is a lot of Racism still in the US and many people are probably upset that any memorial was built for a n***er in the first place. So if we gotta do it, let´s do it in the most disrespectful way possible. That´s how it could be interpreted.

I´m sure in the end it will be chalked up to one or two incompetent people who made bad decisions.

I don´t know, I´m just asking the questions because the absolute absurdity of the situation forces me to do so.

How nice to have a monument like this produced in a country, where racial minorities are oppressed to the fullest! :tu:

Berlin should have had the Holocaust Monument produced in Iran.

How nice to have a monument like this produced in a country, where racial minorities are oppressed to the fullest! :tu:

Berlin should have had the Holocaust Monument produced in Iran.

In second world war,iranian govroment and Reza Shah (R.I.P) were germanophile (old times,race and etc...) (because we weren't agree with the policy of Britain in middle east) and We have helped many Jews to hide.I suggest you do not judge a country by a person not legally elected by the Iranian people.

Thank you .

Edited by Persia

can't say for the accuracy of the sources i've heard lately but it seems the rocks were 'free'

The costs of the rocks were for transport only and because the sculpture was already done, just have to get the rocks over to the US for fitting into the sculpture

Anyone can source for the accuracy of this claims ?

@Persia: I could have chosen a lot of examples, but I chose this one because it is the most blatant one. I did not mean to offend the Iranians with this. I should have added this to my explanation. It was more about the Judaism/Islam clash than about nationalities.

As far as I know are the Iranians still very germanophile, as many Germans are iranophile(sic?), as the university of Göttingen has an exceptionally good Iranian studies department, that is active in this field for over 100 years.

My post has nothing to do with Ahmadinejad.

You are very welcome, Persia, as always! :tu:

Edited by FLOMBIE

can't say for the accuracy of the sources i've heard lately but it seems the rocks were 'free'

The costs of the rocks were for transport only and because the sculpture was already done, just have to get the rocks over to the US for fitting into the sculpture

Anyone can source for the accuracy of this claims ?

Not sure exactly what claims you are talking about. But I must say that I´m happy that the rocks were thrown in for free. Perhaps it would have been better to pay for the rocks (I´m not sure what the going rate is these days, the last rock I bought was a pet rock and that was about 20 years ago) through PAYPAL or Amazon and then they could have thrown in the shipping for free:)

My only hope is that the weren´t sent by FED-EX. 1600 tons equates to 145149 kg. The cost to ship 10 kgs (economy not priority)from China to US is 1547$. Therefore, the total cost would be 14514.9 X 1547 = 22,454,558$.(Tax not Included)

Hoping they chose the "slow-boat from China" method.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty.....there doesn´t seem to be any shortage of rocks in some peoples heads in the US. :rofl:

Not sure exactly what claims you are talking about. But I must say that I´m happy that the rocks were thrown in for free. Perhaps it would have been better to pay for the rocks (I´m not sure what the going rate is these days, the last rock I bought was a pet rock and that was about 20 years ago) through PAYPAL or Amazon and then they could have thrown in the shipping for free:)

My only hope is that the weren´t sent by FED-EX. 1600 tons equates to 145149 kg. The cost to ship 10 kgs (economy not priority)from China to US is 1547$. Therefore, the total cost would be 14514.9 X 1547 = 22,454,558$.(Tax not Included)

Hoping they chose the "slow-boat from China" method.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty.....there doesn´t seem to be any shortage of rocks in some peoples heads in the US. :rofl:

Was just some forums over here posting the claims, the cost of the sculpture only doesn't involve costs of stone as they can't be 'sold' as it belongs to the people of the PRC

I don't know, maybe its Chinese 'Ton's and don't weigh as much :lol:

@Persia: I could have chosen a lot of examples, but I chose this one because it is the most blatant one. I did not mean to offend the Iranians with this. I should have added this to my explanation. It was more about the Judaism/Islam clash than about nationalities.

As far as I know are the Iranians still very germanophile, as many Germans are iranophile(sic?), as the university of Göttingen has an exceptionally good Iranian studies department, that is active in this field for over 100 years.

My post has nothing to do with Ahmadinejad.

You are very welcome, Persia, as always! :tu:

You are a logical person and always follow your comments,all religions have done wrong to our culture and our country, but the Iranian people has more than 500 years without attacking anyone, without harming anyone and more than 80% of Iranian living outside of Iran is the problem of politics.

I only wanted to remind you that these Islamist radicals do not represent the Iranian people and soon Iran will be free.

Thank you for your attention .

• 1 month later...