Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth and Moon from Juno

ScienceDominates

PASADENA, Calif. – On its way to the biggest planet in the solar system -- Jupiter, NASA's Juno spacecraft took time to capture its home planet and its natural satellite -- the moon.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Some past goodies ..

Earth and Moon from orbit of Mercury

Earth and Moon as Seen from Mars

Earth from Saturn

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minera

• Xanthurion2

• ScienceDominates

• nunster

i always imagine that the moon was closer to earth :)

:) "How Far Away is the Moon? (The Scale of the Universe)"

It is close to Earth.

The earth is approx 25,000 miles in circumference...the moon is 287,000 miles away.

The picture is awesome..though I wouldn't want to see it for real.So far from home.

And the larger of the two dots is full of creatures trying to destroy everything they touch. Aliens would do better to leave this hell hole alone and let it's occupants ***k themselves up on their own.

Edited by Rhino666

I would actually love to be that far from earth :)

Something very peaceful about that image.

So much crap is happening on that little blue marble, lol.

Hard to fathom, isn't it? All alone in that vastness. why are we trying so hard to kill each other off?

Hmm, looks like a hydrogen atom. Well, I guess we are fluorine, since there are 9 planets.

Pretty amazing photo, sure makes one think.

Edited by Taut

stupid earth

WOW, I mean that was really deep and meaningful! :unsure:

Which is actually quite observant of you since the moon moves away from the earth at a rate of about 1 1/2 inches a year, so it's not your imagination... ^_^

Edited by Khaleid

stupid earth

It is not the Earth that is stupid but some of the humans living on it.

It is not the Earth that is stupid but some of the humans living on it.

the stupid humans are making the earth stupid

the stupid humans are making the earth stupid

LOL I did not know stupidity was contagious. The earth has been around long before humans and the other species that are now gone before us.

The earth has been around long before humans and the other species that are now gone before us.

i know. what i meant is that people, with their overpopulation, pollution and mining, and other environmental effects, are ruining the world

i know. what i meant is that people, with their overpopulation, pollution and mining, and other environmental effects, are ruining the world

I know what you meant. Humanity is like a virus running amock destroying everything. Eventually the earth will fight back. Look how new life starts after a devastating catastrophe like an earth quake. Mount ST. Helens is returning to life after only 30 years. The Earth will too, unless that is the disaster is a comet that destroys it.

Well if you want proof we are alone here is your picture. No other stars??? For light to reflect off the earth and moon wouldn't the sun almost be behind the camera?

Well if you want proof we are alone here is your picture. No other stars??? For light to reflect off the earth and moon wouldn't the sun almost be behind the camera?

As for your curiousness of no stars, I would think that would have to do with exposure time.. for your second question.. this might be helpful http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2003/05/22/

And take note of sizes even though Jupiter is way behind Earth.

Edited by ScienceDominates

It is close to Earth.

The earth is approx 25,000 miles in circumference...the moon is 287,000 miles away.

The picture is awesome..though I wouldn't want to see it for real.So far from home.

The average distance from Earth to the Moon is 238,857 miles.

That means that if you were to travel there in a car at a speed of 70mph it will take just over 142 days - or over four and a half months - to get there.

Edited by Blackwhite