Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Laser beams could be used to create rain

Still Waters

Firing laser beams into humid air could give scientists control over when and where rain falls, a new study claims.

Researchers from the University of Geneva used lasers to create water droplets in the air, in a development which could eventually lead to man-made weather systems.

Although the technique, known as laser-assisted water condensation, does not work in dry air scientists were able to generate the droplets in very humid conditions over the Rhône river in Switzerland.

The drops created – just thousandths of a millimetre across – were nowhere near heavy enough to fall as rain but the experts hope that by making them hundreds of times larger they will be able to create or prevent rainfall in the right conditions.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• Skeptic Chicken

• Khaleid

• omg lemonade

Top Posters In This Topic

There's gotta be some downside to forcefully removing water particles from the air, right?

Can't imagine why. Nature does it all the time.

But thats Nature just doing it's thing.

Humans forcing rain when Nature isn't obviously doing it for a reason, is like when humanity needs wood. They cut down a tree and mess with so much (animals loosing nesting grounds, oxygen production, etc.). Forcing rain could cause a lot of native or domesticated animals (like squirrels, doves, pigeons, etc. that aren't pets. Not sure if I named their classification properly :\) to have no idea whats happening.

Science has gotta remember, we're not the only things living on this planet. Sure it may help the fauna grow, but it may **EDIT** with the fauna.

**Profanity filters are there for a reason, Skeptic.**

Edited by aquatus1

But thats Nature just doing it's thing.

So who say's Nature is the only one who can do it? Or even that it is the best at it?

Humans forcing rain when Nature isn't obviously doing it for a reason, is like when humanity needs wood. They cut down a tree and mess with so much (animals loosing nesting grounds, oxygen production, etc.). Forcing rain could cause a lot of native or domesticated animals (like squirrels, doves, pigeons, etc. that aren't pets. Not sure if I named their classification properly :\) to have no idea whats happening.

It is possible, I suppose. That said, there really isn't much that would cause us to assume a cause/effect relationship here. And we would have a pretty hard time progressing if we worried about things that we aren't even sure are an actual issue.

Science has gotta remember, we're not the only things living on this planet. Sure it may help the fauna grow, but it may **EDIT** with the fauna.

I suspect not doing anything is going to do a number on the fauna as well. At least this way, we are actively trying to curtail a problem before we finish using up all the wood.

As humans, I say mess with nature all you want, thats what we're here for. I need wood? That trees going down ;)

It does not make sense. Laser beams give off incredble heat. If anything, such a system would vaporize the water in the air and could be used to control hurricanes. In an article entitled CONTROLLING HURRICANES in the Oct. 2004 edition of Scientific American, the writer-scientist proposed using a space satellite to beam down laser beams into a hurricane and destroye it,

As for creating an increase in rainfall, the technology called cloud seeding has ben around for decades.

Can't imagine why. Nature does it all the time.

And how exactly does nature fire lasers into the atmosphere?

Are you referring to lightning? Cosmic rays? Not sure I understand your reference. Enlighten me, please.

And how exactly does nature fire lasers into the atmosphere?

Are you referring to lightning? Cosmic rays? Not sure I understand your reference. Enlighten me, please.

The comment was referring to this post: "There's gotta be some downside to forcefully removing water particles from the air, right?".

We weren't talking about firing lasers, but about removing water from the air. Nature does that all the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, wouldn't creating rain in, say, a desert, without waiting for plant life to grow there and regulate the temperatures, humidity and other factors continually, destabilize the ecosystem and pretty much screw our grandchildren?

Edited by Nerupe

Well, it would definitely destabilize the ecosystem, but we really don't know if it would screw our grandchildren, or even if it wouldn't be an overall advantage for the desert in the end. Unfounded speculation can go both ways, negative and positive.

But it would still be pretty irresponsible to do something like that. Good thing no one is even suggesting such a thing.

That's always the big dilemma when interfering with nature, it usually takes at least a few decades to grasp the full impact on the ecosystem...

When water is artificially forced from the atmosphere in one location, it's taken away from it's future destination. This kind of technology could start(or be used) in wars in the future.

*Happy cloud floating along*

*Gets hit by lazer beam*

*AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!*

*Cloud now dead*

:<

*Happy cloud floating along*

*Gets hit by lazer beam*

*AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!*

*Cloud now dead*

:<

Works out rather nice in a haiku...

Happy cloud in sky