Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real Life Zombie Virus

mentalman

I can remember, years ago, reading a topic on a website, much like this one, about a real life "Zombie virus" that the government created as a biological weapon but had destroyed because it was "Inhumane and extremely dangerous"

Now i can't really remember where i read it and can't find much on-line about it.

But from what i can remember,

For Years and years the military have been experimenting with biological weaponry (Obviously)

And apparently they created a virus that, if exposed to humans, could kill parts of the brain that control emotions, speech, movement and fine motor skills. Basically turning you into a shambling, moaning, dumb **** zombie

I think i'm right in saying once a virus has been created it is never destroyed (Because that would mean the whole thing was a waste of money)

So would that mean that somewhere out there is a virus with the potential to create zombies?

Again i can't remember the whole story but you get the point.

Would anyone like to confirm this?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• MstrMsn

• Wolfpower

• TheMcGuffin

Doesn't sound like something the US would have been involved with, if we had, the "inhumane" crap wouldn't have mattered..... just saying...

Though, this actually does sound familiar. Though, I'm into zombies, so I probably read about it in a book, or saw it on a movie, or something really close to that. I think you may have as well.

Doesn't sound like something the US would have been involved with

Actually, for me, it does sound like something the US would habe been involved with.

There was a chemical weapon called BZ:

"Anyway, not to be outdone by the CIA, the Army Chemical Corps later came up with quinuclidinyl benzilate, or BZ, coined a super-hallucinogen. It affected individuals for three days, "although symptoms - headaches, giddiness, disorientation, auditory and visual hallucinations, and maniacal behavior - have been known to persist for as long as six weeks." Yipes!

Dr. Van Sim, chief of the Clinical Research Division, tried all new chemicals himself before subjecting volunteers to them. "Did he enjoy getting high, or were his acid trips simply a patriotic duty?" ask Lee and Shlain. Sim, who had tried acid on "several" occasions, reported, "It's not a matter of compulsiveness or wanting to be the first to try a material." He later described his first experience with BZ: "It zonked me for three days. I kept falling down and the people at the lab assigned someone to follow me around with a mattress." He later received the Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service, cited for "exposing himself to dangerous drugs 'at the risk of grave personal injury.'" Talk about lying down on the job....

Some 2800 soldiers were subsequently exposed to BZ, most of them knowingly. Air Force enlisted man Robert Bowen noted one paratrooper temporarily lost all muscle control and later seemed mad: "The last time I saw him he was taking a shower in his uniform and smoking a cigar."

http://www.historyhouse.com/in_history/lsd/

"At the National Institute of Mental Health Addiction Research Center in Kentucky in the mid-1950s, drug-addicted African Americans were given LSD, with seven of them kept hallucinating for 77 consecutive days. At this same center, healthy African American men were still being used as test subjects almost 10 years later, this time for an experimental drug, BZ--100 times more powerful than LSD.

In the recently declassified field manual for the Treatment Of Chemical Agent Casualties And Conventional Military Chemical Injuries published as FM8-285 of the U.S. Army, BZ is listed in the glossary and described in Chapter 6 as an incapacitating agent:

BDU battle dress uniform

BZ incapacitating agent

C Celsius/centigrade

Chapter 6, Incapacitants, Section I - General

602. CNS Depressants.

CNS depressants produce their effects by interfering with transmission of information across central synapses. An example of this type of agent is 3-quinuclidinyl benzilate (BZ), which blocks the muscarinic action of acetylcholine both peripherally and centrally. In the central nervous system anticholinergic compounds disrupt the high integrative functions of memory, problem solving, attention and comprehension. Relatively high doses produce toxic delirium which destroys the ability to perform any military task."

http://pages.uoregon.edu/munno/OregonCourses/REL353W05/BZStory.htm

Actually, for me, it does sound like something the US would habe been involved with.

Let me guess, you need people to specify when they use sarcasm?

I might say zombie type behaviour stems from a populace that is indifferent to the out come. So ya America :hmm:

I might say zombie type behaviour stems from a populace that is indifferent to the out come. So ya America :hmm:

Same can be said of many countries.

On a different note, I lost a ton of respect for Canada after the Stanley Cup game.

Same can be said of many countries.

On a different note, I lost a ton of respect for Canada after the Stanley Cup game.

Of course it could be said of many nations but many nations don`t sacrifice the people for a militery complex. Ok maybe a few do.

Ya the riot in Van sucked but finding that the US smuggles guns to drug lords in Mexico kinda sucks more.

There was a chemical weapon called BZ:

"Anyway, not to be outdone by the CIA, the Army Chemical Corps later came up with quinuclidinyl benzilate, or BZ, coined a super-hallucinogen. It affected individuals for three days, "although symptoms - headaches, giddiness, disorientation, auditory and visual hallucinations, and maniacal behavior - have been known to persist for as long as six weeks." Yipes!

Dr. Van Sim, chief of the Clinical Research Division, tried all new chemicals himself before subjecting volunteers to them. "Did he enjoy getting high, or were his acid trips simply a patriotic duty?" ask Lee and Shlain. Sim, who had tried acid on "several" occasions, reported, "It's not a matter of compulsiveness or wanting to be the first to try a material." He later described his first experience with BZ: "It zonked me for three days. I kept falling down and the people at the lab assigned someone to follow me around with a mattress." He later received the Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service, cited for "exposing himself to dangerous drugs 'at the risk of grave personal injury.'" Talk about lying down on the job....

Some 2800 soldiers were subsequently exposed to BZ, most of them knowingly. Air Force enlisted man Robert Bowen noted one paratrooper temporarily lost all muscle control and later seemed mad: "The last time I saw him he was taking a shower in his uniform and smoking a cigar."

http://www.historyhouse.com/in_history/lsd/

"At the National Institute of Mental Health Addiction Research Center in Kentucky in the mid-1950s, drug-addicted African Americans were given LSD, with seven of them kept hallucinating for 77 consecutive days. At this same center, healthy African American men were still being used as test subjects almost 10 years later, this time for an experimental drug, BZ--100 times more powerful than LSD.

In the recently declassified field manual for the Treatment Of Chemical Agent Casualties And Conventional Military Chemical Injuries published as FM8-285 of the U.S. Army, BZ is listed in the glossary and described in Chapter 6 as an incapacitating agent:

BDU battle dress uniform

BZ incapacitating agent

C Celsius/centigrade

Chapter 6, Incapacitants, Section I - General

602. CNS Depressants.

CNS depressants produce their effects by interfering with transmission of information across central synapses. An example of this type of agent is 3-quinuclidinyl benzilate (BZ), which blocks the muscarinic action of acetylcholine both peripherally and centrally. In the central nervous system anticholinergic compounds disrupt the high integrative functions of memory, problem solving, attention and comprehension. Relatively high doses produce toxic delirium which destroys the ability to perform any military task."

http://pages.uoregon.edu/munno/OregonCourses/REL353W05/BZStory.htm

Tremendous!

Thats the kind of thing i mean,,, not exactly but sort of :)

This was a gas of some sort that they tested on monkeys and stuff it made them, how to put id, mong out and get really angry

Something along the lines of 28 days later.

But am i right in saying that they NEVER destroy anything like that,,, they always keep a small sample?

Of course it could be said of many nations but many nations don`t sacrifice the people for a militery complex. Ok maybe a few do.

Ya the riot in Van sucked but finding that the US smuggles guns to drug lords in Mexico kinda sucks more.

Yeah, the difference between the two is vast...

Vancouver: an angry mob of CITIZENS rioting because their team lost a game.

Operation Fast and Furious (still wondering about any copyright infringemnt): The GOVERNMENT doing something stupid, moronic and illegal. Wait, that's just normal business for the government.....

Which is worse? The government doing what many already expect them to do? Or Canadian citizens acting like retards, breaking things, burning things, and injuring each other (as well as anyone wearing an opposing teams colors)??

Not anything against you, personally... just hope you know that...

Then there was the recent lawsuit against the CIA by people who had electrical implants placed in their brains in the MK Ultra program:

"In 1961, a top CIA scientist reported in an internal memo that "the feasibility of remote control of activities in several species of animals has been demonstrated…Special investigations and evaluations will be conducted toward the application of selected elements of these techniques to man," according to “The CIA and the Search for the Manchurian Candidate,” a 1979 book by former State Department intelligence officer John Marks.

"Papers filed in the case describe “electrical devices implanted in brain tissue with electrodes in various regions, including the hippocampus, the hypothalamus, the frontal lobe (via the septum), the cortex and various other places,” Erspamer said, drawing on [research papers] (http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/spytalkheathdocument.pdf) written by government scientists.

“We believe that one of our plaintiffs was given a septal implant at [Edgewood Arsenal] (www.edgewoodtestvets.org),” he said, based on an MRI he has “showing a ‘foreign body’ on the border between the septum and the frontal lobe.”

“A lot of this work was done out of Tulane University using a local state hospital and funding from a cut-out (front) organization called the Commonwealth Fund,” he continued, again drawing on the research papers."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/spy-talk/2010/11/cia_brain_experiments_pursued.html?wprss=spy-talk

Yes and no. They might well keep a small sample. And they might well accidentally destroy it in a few years when people need more room or resources and start cleaning out the dead files.

The CIA's MK Ultra program was also designed to produce zombie-like agents and assassins who could be programmed to forget that they had been brainwashed and would carry out their missions with no memory of their conditioning. A lot of these experiments were carried out on prisoners and mental patients, and rumor has it that the Unabomber, Sirhan Sirhan(assassin of Robert Kennedy), Mark David Chapman (assassin of John Lennon, and John Hinckley (attempted assassin of Reagan) may all have been programmed to play these parts and not recall why they did it--or just give crazy reasons for their actions.

"Could this mind control also create a zombie-like US soldier, one who would follow orders no matter how grisly, or withstand any amount of torture if captured?

The combination of hypnosis, shock therapy and drugs like LSD and Ketamine made this seem a possibility, and were investigated in a mind control research program called MK-ULTRA. MK-ULTRA was funded by millions of U.S. dollars and led by a scientist named Sidney Gottlieb. In his book The Very Best Men, Evan Thomas describes Gottlieb as "born with a club foot and a stutter, he compensated by becoming an expert folk dancer and obtaining a Ph.D. from Cal Tech … he drank only goat's milk and grew Christmas trees, which he sold at a roadside stand." That is, when he wasn't drugging research subjects.

The goals of MK-ULTRA included investigating the following:

Materials which will render the induction of hypnosis easier or otherwise enhance its usefulness.

Substances which will enhance the ability of individuals to withstand privation, torture and coercion during interrogation and so-called "brain-washing".

Materials and physical methods which will produce amnesia for events preceding and during their use.

Physical methods of producing shock and confusion over extended periods of time and capable of surreptitious use.

A knockout pill which could surreptitiously be administered in drinks, food, cigarettes, as an aerosol, etc., which will be safe to use, provide a maximum of amnesia, and be suitable for use by agent types on an ad hoc basis."

http://science.discovery.com/stories/mkultra.html

Edited by TheMcGuffin

Operation Fast and Furious (still wondering about any copyright infringemnt): The GOVERNMENT doing something stupid, moronic and illegal. Wait, that's just normal business for the government.....

Which is worse? The government doing what many already expect them to do? Or Canadian citizens acting like retards, breaking things, burning things, and injuring each other (as well as anyone wearing an opposing teams colors)??

Ya people in Vacouver did act like morons and adopted a boozed up persona. However the passion over a game is far more worthy then the passion of a war. Don`t lie to yourself. I saw the raw passion of your folks dancing in the streets after the killing of Osama and it looked no different then the countries you are liberating.

Americans cheering in the streets and shooting guns over a guys death yup looked real good. How be it he was scum but I could not distiguish between the middle east and the front of washington dc.

Team colors lol your nation has no team but one, so give yourself a big pat on the back. You may think your racial riots were for a good cause because some doped up black man was beatin (King) but it only shows how sad that is. If the Vancouver riots were of the same nature I would hang my head much further.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Never been to a football (soccer) match in Europe?

Pretty much standard over here.

Yea...But then it would spread?

I reckon zombies r awsome...but the real zombie think is soooo fake! I mean it's wrong on so many levels. I am watching this series on tv, it's called the walking dead. It's good but got many mistakes on the fact of how they could exists!

I´m not a mind reader :no: or an native english reader, and sometimes text (in my opinion this case) does not tell you if the writter was being sarcastic or not :wacko: , therefor my comment, because for me your text was not clear if it had a "tast" of sarcams or not. Anyway I had no criticism towards you :tu: .

Take Michelle Bachman and the weather, was she being sarcastic or just being a nut case :huh: ? And she was speaking not writing :cry: !

Sometimes the use of emoticons can help. :yes:

Thanks for reading. :)

Tremendous!

Thats the kind of thing i mean,,, not exactly but sort of :)

This was a gas of some sort that they tested on monkeys and stuff it made them, how to put id, mong out and get really angry

Something along the lines of 28 days later.

But am i right in saying that they NEVER destroy anything like that,,, they always keep a small sample?

I have no idea if your 'zombie virus' is real.

I would suggest that McGuffin's example of BZ is a more likely avenue for research than a weaponised virus.

Chemical weapons are more 'predicatable' than biological/virus based ones.

However, thats not to say that research of this nature hasn't been done with biological agents by western nations.

You are right in saying that usually a sample of a these biological agents/pathogens/viruses is kept, even if the research is abandoned.

The rationale often wheeled out to justify it is that (especially with biological agents) the processes of developing them is long and complex and should that process be replicated by others and used, then it will be useful to already have a sample of the end reult or a similar agent to have a 'jump start' on combating the 'outbreak'.

I think the example of smallpox is an interesting example of this.

Have a look throught the Wiki page on the subject, especially the erradication, post-erradication and biological warfare sections:

Smallpox

Although the article claims that the only remaining stocks of the virus are in the USA and Russia, I've heard it claimed (even in TV documentaries) that the UK and France still hold stocks.

Best

Gene

Yea...But then it would spread?

I reckon zombies r awsome...but the real zombie think is soooo fake! I mean it's wrong on so many levels. I am watching this series on tv, it's called the walking dead. It's good but got many mistakes on the fact of how they could exists!

The walking dead is an awesome series and can`t wait till november for season two. Can I ask how zmbies could exist. The show dipictes the CDC was fartin around and they let somethng out. Pandora`s Box so to speak.

The CIA also experimented with the drugs Tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin, which are illegal in the United States. Tetrodotoxin comes from the puffer fish and is one of the deadliest poisons known, although in smaller, controlled doses it can also make a person into a kind of "zombie".

Tetrodotoxin

Tetrodotoxin (affectionately abbreviated TTX) is a very specific and selective blocker of Na channels. Lethal concentrations are found in puffer fish in the western Pacific Ocean and in California salamanders. TTX can fully block axonal Na channels at nanomolar concentrations and falls just below botulinum toxin in potency. Fugu fish (as the puffer is called in Japan), considered a great delicacy by Japanese, has claimed many lives when improperly prepared and also has offered a quick suicide choice. After the discovery that the toxin was most concentrated in certain organs (the ovaries), chefs were trained and licensed in the art of removing these offending organs before serving fugu.

Upon the discovery that the poison blocked the Na conductance, ovaries removed by chefs were sent to the Sanyo Company which extracted, purified, and sold the toxin to neuroscience investigators. Sir Bernard Katz recognized the possibility of using TTX to isolate synaptic currents by blocking Na channels responsible for action potential generation. He and Ricardo Miledi exploited TTX in their studies of the neuromuscular junction and the squid giant synapse.

Saxitoxin

Saxitoxin (STX) is concentrated by shellfish in North Atlantic red tides. It is a molecule similar to TTX in its structure and its power to block Na channels. Its slightly different structure causes it to bind to the Na channel even more firmly than TTX, making it useful in isolating Na channels for molecular and structural studies.

In the late 1960s, STX, found in the hands of CIA agents who proposed to use it to assassinate Fidel Castro, was confiscated and given to the NIH to distribute to neuroscience investigators!"

http://fohs.bgu.ac.il/nia/NIA2003/neurolab/patch/action/ttx.htm

Ya people in Vacouver did act like morons and adopted a boozed up persona. However the passion over a game is far more worthy then the passion of a war. Don`t lie to yourself. I saw the raw passion of your folks dancing in the streets after the killing of Osama and it looked no different then the countries you are liberating.

Americans cheering in the streets and shooting guns over a guys death yup looked real good. How be it he was scum but I could not distiguish between the middle east and the front of washington dc.

Team colors lol your nation has no team but one, so give yourself a big pat on the back. You may think your racial riots were for a good cause because some doped up black man was beatin (King) but it only shows how sad that is. If the Vancouver riots were of the same nature I would hang my head much further.

There is never any justifiable reason to do what they did. Period.

I agree with you on many things you say here. However, you assume a lot. King, and hell, the Watts riots before them... that has nothing to do with me. I wasn't born when the Watts riots occured, and as far as King goes, I was 15 (also, living a few thousand miles away). Either way, both riots were caused not because of the loss of a game, but because of racial tensions. Sorry, but that's a more important issue than a game. Oh, they were drunk... who gives a flying ****? That's no excuse to act the way they did. Sorry, but they are the bigger a**holes here.

The walking dead is an awesome series and can`t wait till november for season two. Can I ask how zmbies could exist. The show dipictes the CDC was fartin around and they let somethng out. Pandora`s Box so to speak.

Haha yea, but not enough zombies in da last ones!!! Yea, but they actually die, and then they get to walk around! It says the main stem goes lyk back to life, but why do they eat ppl? And why don't they breathe and bleed and ****? But It is a good series! Watched it every wednsday!!

I´m not a mind reader :no: or an native english reader, and sometimes text (in my opinion this case) does not tell you if the writter was being sarcastic or not :wacko: , therefor my comment, because for me your text was not clear if it had a "tast" of sarcams or not. Anyway I had no criticism towards you :tu: .

Take Michelle Bachman and the weather, was she being sarcastic or just being a nut case :huh: ? And she was speaking not writing :cry: !

Sometimes the use of emoticons can help. :yes:

Thanks for reading. :)

Bachman is just a nutcase... could have been sarcasm, but she's a kook, so kinda hard to tell on that.

Seeing as reading English isn't native to you, I apologize. One who has a deep understanding of sarcasm can usually detect it in writing. As far as verbally, depends on if the person speaking is a wacko....