Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing voices when fan is on

Gohot

Many of you have not heard the voices in the fan but it is real. I opened a box fan and looked at its workings and there is a piggybacked black box wired inside that says "frared" like infrared. These were not in the old box fans. The day when att lost power in several states including Tennessee the white noise from my fan was bliss. Sick of hearing this talk. Laptops and smart phones trigger it in our home. Could be iheart or serius (?) spelling? But it is real. I have heard plain voices and multi voices where there is more than one station. I conquered this once but "trusted installer" keeps replacing the missing registry.

Thanks Necromancer, made me uncomfortable with these issues again.

Alibongo. someone needs to call the cops!

Oh the days when you could use a small fan for white noise and not hear creepy voices.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Netlace said:

Many of you have not heard the voices in the fan but it is real. I opened a box fan and looked at its workings and there is a piggybacked black box wired inside that says "frared" like infrared. These were not in the old box fans. The day when att lost power in several states including Tennessee the white noise from my fan was bliss. Sick of hearing this talk. Laptops and smart phones trigger it in our home. Could be iheart or serius (?) spelling? But it is real. I have heard plain voices and multi voices where there is more than one station. I conquered this once but "trusted installer" keeps replacing the missing registry.

I think you're paranoid. The box in my fan read thus

BM cbb61

250v AC

50/60 Hz

Max/Temp 70 C

The second black box is the control. 

'Frared'?  Probably 'farad' - that being the unit of capacitance...  Most electric motors for fans have a 'start/run' capacitor to make them work..

And I found the rest of the post mostly incomprehensible, rather than paranoid. 

I am a bit of an insomniac and generally read late into the night most of the time. I also have a fan running every night and have since I was a child a long long time ago. Like so many others here I hear the voices and music in the white noise at times. This is my take on it based on thousands of long nights and insatiable curiosity about what makes things work.

In your opening post you commented on it being something associated with one ear more than the other. In this is the possible answer. First you need to understand what sound actually is. When something happens, like a book falling off a table and hitting the floor, a disturbance is created in the air. There is no sound at this point, only vibrations in the air. When the vibrations meet an ear drum they make it vibrate and from that vibration the brains interprets it and passes the information on as sound.

The air that is coming off a fan is coming off in waves based on the number of blades and the rpm of the fan. These waves are then distorted by the things in the room and also any other air motions in the air from other sources. In general you don't “hear” these vibrations because they are mostly below your level of perception.

As you lay on the bed with one ear up and one ear down the air passes OVER the ear canal. This will create a low pressure zone in your ear that will cause the ear drum to flutter. Your brain then takes this flutter and tried to make it a “sound” it isn't but the waves in the air from the fan make the flutter happen in a rather rhythmic manner. Since it doesn't match any “normal” sounds then your brain interprets it via all sorts of parameters. I think that what you have going in your mind at the time may in some way influence this interpretation.

Some times I hear the sound of voices as if a radio was tuned to a news channel and other nights I will hear music. In no case can I exactly understand what the voices are saying or the words in a song but I often can clearly identify the genera of the music.

The reason you hear it through your right ear and not your left may be any one of several things or a combination of them. The most obvious is that when you are laying one way your top ear is is at a certain angle to the air motion and then when you roll over the angle on your other ear is totally different.

Another thing is that your ears are not the same. They are shaped differently and this is how you can have a directional sense from your hearing. Your right ear may be more effected than your left because of a slightly different shape.

You have a master or preferred ear just as you have a preferred hand, foot and eye. This ear will be more acute in its ability to sense fine details in the vibrations. Your brain will often give more attention to the signals coming from that dominant ear.

Your brain works hard to offer you a clear understanding of the surrounding environment but the fact is that it is an INTERPRETATION and not always real. This is as true in your vision as it is in the auditory realm. It isn't crazy it is totally normal. We all do it all the time. It is just that most of the time there are filters that are eliminating most of this as the information is prioritized. Late at night when the information flow is so much less the filters will then allow such oddities to come to your conscious mind.

Edited by DanL

I agree that usually the words are not clear enough to make out but at times they are for us. I have clearly heard the 11am news castor, and just the other morning I heard a woman talking about plane fares to London being 569.$$ ? Then the gentleman said it is even cheaper if you buy two. 90% of the time we pick up talk radio. It starts at 5am. Kicks on loud then quiets down to barely noticeable. We have heard wicked church type chanting on Saturday evenings late. Then there are random times when my daughter comes home and her iPhone engages the noise. I have a head tumor and low spinal fluid and acute hearing. I focus on anything that interrupts the smooth fan noise. If it picks up hair or paper and begins having clicks, I can't help but hear the bad over the good. This problem is new to us at this new house. Started in 2012 and so did the smart meter. I know appliances can trigger it at our home. It may play for days straight and skip a day or two. Always hear it start but sometimes it only last a few minutes. It is affecting my sleep, my health! We have had overnight visitors who ask if we were playing the radio all night.... This house has it bad!

This is an interesting subject that I have dealt with most of my life, having been diagnosed and treated for schizophrenia many times (I hear voices and sometimes even see some of the most wonderful things).

For me, at least, the treatments are unneeded and do harm.  I don't think I'm broken and therefore don't need fixing.

Now if my voices were telling me to do evil things, or were scaring me, then it would be different, but, instead, they tell me things like, "Get off your butt and get to work."

I wouldn't go so far as to claim I get any particular wisdom from them -- they are things I already know -- but they do give me reminders.  Usually I get them (they are rare -- maybe less than monthly) when bad things have happened and I'm depressed (another of my little "insanities" and thinking about death).  Ah -- they don't want to die and decide now is the time to scold and tease and so on.  They have even gone so far as to remind me to take my anti-depressive.

I am happy with the way I am most of the time (no one can or should expect to be happy all the time) and would not change it.

I have another thought on this topic. I find this fascinating because like many others here have commented, I'm rather pleased to know that it isn't just me that hears this stuff in connection with a fan at night.

If you will look up “Foxhole Radio” you will find that a rather simple AM radio can be made out of a little bit of nothing. It makes me wonder if maybe there is some odd sort of mechanical thing going on here that is actually creating some sort of accidental “crystal radio”.

We hear it at night because there is less noise and also because our minds are less busy and so we notice things that normally would be filtered out. I have never noticed this during the day when I'm awake and doing things even when the house is quiet.

I also wonder if this may be just that certain minds tend to be better at making something out of nothing than others. I know that I am a person that always wants to know and understand WHY about almost everything. I've always seen pictures in clouds and such so maybe this is just an audio version of that.

I tend to hear music more often than voices. The thing is that a lot of the music I hear isn't of a variety that you would get on radio these days. Radio is mostly Country Western, Rock, A little Pop, Classical, Hispanic, and some Rap/Hip Hop stuff. I don't think anyone anywhere around here puts Polka or Big Band Music on the Air anymore and I have heard both at times. LOL, last night was Salsa!

I have only experienced this sort of audio oddities in one other place. I used to fish a lot at some old flooded sand pits. It was very quiet there because you had to walk several miles to gain access to them. There were actually 4 separate small lakes and in the middle of this cluster of lakes there was an 1800 foot tall radio tower. On several occasions I would hear someone talking and expect to see someone but they would never be anyone but me there. The fact is that there were a lot of “sounds” associated with this tower. The wind passing through the frame and the many huge and long guy wires that held the tower in place made for some rather interesting noises at times but not voices. ???

I will offer one last thing as a question. As far as your general hearing, do you have rather odd hearing as far as sensitivity. My hearing covers a somewhat larger range than the norm. I can hear the sounds made by those supposedly silent things that you plug into your house to chase off rodents and such and can hear the silent dog whistles. I also seem to have a little extended range on the lower end as well and can hear low end growls that others swear they can't hear. As a repair technician this has helped me because I can hear bad bearings beginning to growl before they totally fail and others seem not to be able to do this. ???

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

I just registered so I could reply to this fascinating topic.  I found you via a Google question I posed and will be reading a lot more of the site's topics.  I honestly thought I was going mad because each night I sleep with flat earphones beneath a headband and listen to one of several loud fan videos from a YouTube uploader.  About 40 minutes in and I start to hear what sounds like a distant broadcaster with a gruff voice.   Yesterday I had the bedroom fan deployed and in all seriousness I heard an entire rap song and thought either I was going mad or that this fan was channeling spirit footprints.

• Like 1

Welcome to our mad mad world.

• Like 1

yeah ... I am in late BUT  ... people listen to fan noises deliberately ?  ....     even recordings of them ?  

.....  on earphones   ? !   :huh:      WTF !  

How ya gonna hear anything !   What if a possum comes in and starts trashing the kitchen , how ya gonna wake up and chase him out ?  

Edited by back to earth

This started at our house with the installation of what was suppose to be a traditional land line phone service to a new house. Our service is not a basic landline. It does not work when the power goes out. It is somehow hooked to the electrical system and our land line has the ability to be intercepted both incoming and outgoing. The tv/radio would always kick in when my daughter would get home with her iPhone. The tv/radio always kicks in when we get a phone call on the LL. the jack the installer hooked up in our upstairs is not a traditional jack. After he ran the service from the street and before he installed the jacks in our house he asked where we would be putting our router. ,?.... This should make NO DIFFERENCE in the jack installation. I told him upstairs most likely. He put a usual looking small single port jack downstairs and when he got to the upstairs he suddenly realized he had only one jack! Oh but wait..... He had this large two port "business" jack he would install at no extra charge to us! WHO COMES TO PUT NEW PHONE SERVICE IN AND BRINGS ONLY ONE JACK! This was intentional, this has been a nightmare for six years. Just recently all this has started making sense as to the source of our problems. Our router logs state there is internal and external switches, HPNA, AND MUCH MORE. I started researching our jack and find this brand "Suttle" makes these for voip, tv, data etc..... They make a filter that should go in the line to keep out the radio/tv interference. If you have ATT and especially if you have been forced to upgrade to U-Verse, and hear the "voices" as we do. Start checking the line. We can find nobody to help us with our problem. Att has been out here 30 times at least in the last six years or so. They do not care! The FCC now sides with Att so no help there. If I find what I know to be installed, I will sue them! I don't believe in it but we are tired of this hacked line.! Need help in Gallatin Tn!

And to all you nay-Sayers ..... I am sixty years old and have used a box fan for 45 of those years. I have never heard the voices till this new house. Nobody here is crazy except those who don't hear the voices....... Plenty of blogs on this subject. 

Edited by Netlace

On June 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM, tictoc1957 said:

Thanks Podo. What kind of store would I get a noise generator I brought the Fan down to the living room and used a smaller fan and I just waiting to ear one of the Lollipop guys(the Wizard of Oz lol get it smaller fan smaller noises

If you hear the noise in your fan it will also be in any device with a fan in it. Like humidifier, aircleaner, ect..... Must find the source of the problem. We have the same.

On January 6, 2017 at 11:58 AM, XenoFish said:

I think you're paranoid. The box in my fan read thus

BM cbb61

250v AC

50/60 Hz

Max/Temp 70 C

The second black box is the control. 

I could care less what you "think", moreover what your fan reads. Next time I open the fan I will get a pic just for you who can't think outside the box. You are one of those people who only believe by seeing or hearing for yourself. That is not reality. Regardless of the name of this site, tv/radio can and does run through the electrical system as well as the air in a silent unseen  technology. Some of us can hear this.

On October 31, 2016 at 8:32 PM, WHG17 said:

Looks like no one has been on this topic for a long time.  Are people still hearing voises from fans or when a fan is on?  I have been hearing muffled voices when a fan is on (window fan, space heater fan).  Every now and then the voices are really clear.  I have listened to Johnny Cash (a couple songs I never heard before), repeating a part of the song over and over again.  Told them it was ok to switch from JC, I immediately heard The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.  Now mostly big band.  Nothing clear enough for me to make out the song.  Now and then it sounds like an old radio broadcast.  I have tried recording the voices/music with the digital recorder on my phone, but I can't filter out the fan noise to make the voices/music more distinct.  If I get out my digital recorder, the voices/music stops.  It almost seems like the voices know what the recorder is.  Any suggestions on how to record them?  At first it freaked me out, but now it's just part of the evening.  I've heard these noises in the afternoon, evening, and at night.  There was one night where they were rather loud, and my dog barked at them.  She tried to locate the sound, and couldn't.  She then barked at me like it was my fault she couldn't find where the noises were coming from. 

My dog also barks at the devices . One evening it was terrifying satanic loud evil noise and she slept on my chest. She only weighs three pounds thank goodness. The dog barking proves it is real for the unbelievers (most of the posters) in this post. Usually it is talk radio, occasionally music or sitcoms. 

On October 31, 2016 at 9:03 PM, ChrLzs said:

It's not about mental illnesses, it's about what you can evidence, not what you can claim.  But, cool story anyway...

Actually it's about whatever the poster wants to post. It's their post!

When a bird fly's overhead the air displacement causes radio signals to oscillate .  

1 hour ago, ROGER said:

When a bird fly's overhead the air displacement causes radio signals to oscillate .  

No it doesn't.  Not in a measurable or relevant way.  FWIW, the bird itself, being of much greater density and different dielectric to the air, will, in theory, disrupt the signal more than the tiny air pressure gradients caused by its wing wake...  But still, that effect is not something that could be detected as a radio signal oscillation that would then result as voices...

If you claim otherwise, please cite an example.

18 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

No it doesn't.  Not in a measurable or relevant way.  FWIW, the bird itself, being of much greater density and different dielectric to the air, will, in theory, disrupt the signal more than the tiny air pressure gradients caused by its wing wake...  But still, that effect is not something that could be detected as a radio signal oscillation that would then result as voices...

If you claim otherwise, please cite an example.

Exactly. Electromagnetic waves or signals pass through most solid objects and structures with ease.

My cat is afraid of thunder. It doesn't mean Satin is walking to and fro in the earth--and up and down in it.

• Like 1

This is just another way of people wanting their beliefs to be real...how can a voice be projected through a fan.....where is the larynx, the tongue? And if there were talking spirits then why would they come through the fan....a man made electrical devise?