Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HTML-Kit Tools

Bendy Demon

I just downloaded the trial version of HTML-Kit's web design program called "HTML-Kit Tools"

I did this because:

A: I needed something up-to-date

B: I don't have a web design program on my computer anymore. (WYSIWYG also known as What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get)

I am not a hand coder nor do I know much about HTML coding (or CSS for that matter) so I have some templates saved which I modify then in HTML-Kit since Dreamweaver (what I used to use) doesn't even use proper CSS coding let alone proper HTML code.

Now the older version was nice too and seemed easier to navigate but the newer version seems..umm...a tad disorganized.

Has anyone ever used this program..how about their newer version? Any thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wickian

• arglebargle

• Bendy Demon

• MissMelsWell

I just downloaded the trial version of HTML-Kit's web design program called "HTML-Kit Tools"

I did this because:

A: I needed something up-to-date

B: I don't have a web design program on my computer anymore. (WYSIWYG also known as What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get)

I am not a hand coder nor do I know much about HTML coding (or CSS for that matter) so I have some templates saved which I modify then in HTML-Kit since Dreamweaver (what I used to use) doesn't even use proper CSS coding let alone proper HTML code.

Now the older version was nice too and seemed easier to navigate but the newer version seems..umm...a tad disorganized.

Has anyone ever used this program..how about their newer version? Any thoughts?

Can't say I do. I generally code in notepad++ myself, which offers syntax highlighting for a number of various languages, and has a lot of good tools, most of which I have not even begun to explore.

It's free and I believe it's open source so I definetely recommend getting that one. Though it's not WYSIWYG, but for that it seems like CKEditor seems like a decent tool. It seems very straightforward and easy to use, maybe worth looking into?

Other than that, I don't see why Dreamweaver would be a problem. What do you mean Dreamweaver 'doesnt use proper html and css coding"? I guess it's a little faulty in that it doesn't contain all the tags and properties, and it misformats some, but that's usually easily corrected.

In case you wish for a good source to learn web programming you should check out www.w3schools.com but I guess you already know that.

What do you mean Dreamweaver 'doesnt use proper html and css coding"? I guess it's a little faulty in that it doesn't contain all the tags and properties, and it misformats some, but that's usually easily corrected.

Well..I mean that Dreamweaver uses..or at least the old version I had...bad coding. In fact it didn't even pass the W3.org validation service.

If someone wants to make a website that works on most major browsers then I would think that a program should be using W3 standards so one doesn't have to go back and fix the major errors that the program shouldn't have made to begin with.

In case you wish for a good source to learn web programming you should check out www.w3schools.com but I guess you already know that.

Yup but it is good to review. I guess I should

Anyways..I am gonna check out the notepad++..sounds neat.

Well..I mean that Dreamweaver uses..or at least the old version I had...bad coding. In fact it didn't even pass the W3.org validation service.

If someone wants to make a website that works on most major browsers then I would think that a program should be using W3 standards so one doesn't have to go back and fix the major errors that the program shouldn't have made to begin with.

Yup but it is good to review. I guess I should

Anyways..I am gonna check out the notepad++..sounds neat.

Notepad++ is not wysiwyg though, it's a plaintext editor with syntax highlighting, but the best notepad application out there. Definetely recommend it.

If you just need to make small html/css updates and you want to preview the changes with an error detector, use firefox and download the firebug extension.

Believe it or not, Dreamweaver, even with its "bad code" is still sort of the industry standard. I've always thought Dreamweaver was total overkill haha, and I used to teach it at a Community College too.

I don't do a lot of website development anymore (although I did it for a living for about 20 years, starting in about '93) My favorite editor was always Homesite, and still is today. At one time, it came as a separate uninstalled extra on the Dreamweaver install CDs. Personally I've never found a WYSIWYG editor that I thought got the job done. In fact, I'm faster at wrting the code by hand than I am using a visual editor. LOL. If someone asked me to recommend a visual editor, I"d probably recommend Dreamweaver to be honest. You seem to get the most control with it with the most options and the basic funtions are easy to learn to use.

A free editor with WYSIWYG, W3 compliant would be nice.

Edited by little_dreamer

If you just need to make small html/css updates and you want to preview the changes with an error detector, use firefox and download the firebug extension.

Oh, sweet, sweet Firebug.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And this release hath all too short a date.

I heavily use it to debug javascript in. It's saved my coding life far more times than I care to remember.

Oh, sweet, sweet Firebug.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And this release hath all too short a date.

I heavily use it to debug javascript in. It's saved my coding life far more times than I care to remember.

The world would be in harmony if IE was removed from existence.

There are many usable HTML editors and error parsers (sometimes in one package)but the best results will always be to test them with error detection extensions on the most popular browsers (remember, just because it works with Explorer it does not mean it will also work with Opera or Safari).

Remember: writing is easy, getting all the bugs out hard, especially if you are writing multi-platform (i.e. for all existing browsers)