Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unique Roman Gladiator Ruins Unveiled

Still Waters

They lived in cells barely big enough to turn around in and usually fought until they died. This was the lot of those at a sensational scientific discovery unveiled Monday: The well-preserved ruins of a gladiator school in Austria.

The Carnuntum ruins are part of a city of 50,000 people 28 miles (45 kilometers) east of Vienna that flourished about 1,700 years ago, a major military and trade outpost linking the far-flung Roman empire's Asian boundaries to its central and northern European lands.

Mapped out by radar, the ruins of the gladiator school remain underground. Yet officials say the find rivals the famous Ludus Magnus — the largest of the gladiatorial training schools in Rome — in its structure. And they say the Austrian site is even more detailed than the well-known Roman ruin, down to the remains of a thick wooden post in the middle of the training area, a mock enemy that young, desperate gladiators hacked away at centuries ago.

"(This is) a world sensation, in the true meaning of the word," said Lower Austrian provincial Governor Erwin Proell.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DigitalDreamer

• Still Waters

• Cryptozological Mascot

• Ashotep

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I would want to become a superstar that way. I guess it was entertainment to them like a hockey game is today with lots of bumps and bruises.

A hockey game? Bump and bruises? I hope the next time your in a GAME the ref doesn't give you a thumbs DOWN. You wouldn't be in a penalty box, You'd be in a pine box. Or better yet the lions dinner. Bumps and bruises

A hockey game? Bump and bruises? I hope the next time your in a GAME the ref doesn't give you a thumbs DOWN. You wouldn't be in a penalty box, You'd be in a pine box. Or better yet the lions dinner. Bumps and bruises

A simple correction was all that was needed,Your post could have gone without the snarky comment that you tried to use to belittle another member :tu:

Yeah and stuff! Oh snap! Truthfully, historians aren't quite sure what "pressed thumbs" meant, but the result was the same.