Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The women of Afghanistan

LoPar

Quick Facts - 15,000 Afghan women die each year from pregnancy-related causes. 

One to two per cent of Afghan women have identity cards. That means the rest are without formal papers or citizenship

54 per cent of girls under 18 are married

In Kabul, half of girls under 18 go to school. Outside of Kabul, only nine per cent of girls under 18 go to school

Out of 4 million young Afghans attending school, only one-quarter are girls

40 per cent of the country's 1,038 healthcare facilities have no female health workers

SOURCES: World Health Organization, Management Sciences, UNIFEM, Physicians for Human Rights

While watching the replay of Robina Muqimyar run the 100 metre trial at the olympics I began to wonder how much life had changed for women in Afghan. I discovered this lots of information on this link from CBC's website.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/afghanis...fghanwomen.html

It is worth looking at. Even though women now have more rights they still fear reprisals. Outside of Kabul most still wear the burqa and opt to stay home.

According to the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA), an Afghan women's rights organization, incidents of rape and forced marriages of girls under 18 are on the rise again. RAWA says the Ministry of Women's Affairs has no legal jurisdiction and no power to implement any orders.

How long before things slip right back to the way it used to be for women? sad.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seraphina

• Babs

• Fluffybunny

• LoPar

well it depeds on what you mean by right way lol right way as in what we have in the states? or right way as in waaaaaaaaaaay back when there were housewifes and only men worked.

but a it might take a while for the women in afghanistan to gain the same rights and respect that woman have in the states now. it seems that you have to try and teach the men about how rape is wrong and stuff....and that might take a very very veeeeeeeeeeeeeery long time. and even forced marriages too.

*sigh* but that sure is depressing crying.gif

Edited by Anti_girl17

A culture that a lot of them seem intent on pasting over our own in this ridiculous idea of multiculturalism disgust.gif

I have no intention of ever wearing a that ridiculous clothing they force them to cover themselves up like a taco in...you see, in the west, we've managed to get over the idea that a woman can drive a man sexually mad by showing him her big toe...

We've also gotten over the idea that, if a woman's raped, it was her fault, and she should be severely punished for it.

There's a line where I'm willing to accept "it's another culture, and we shouldn't judge it", and there's a great many things in their corner of the world that I feel cross that line...the treatment of women is one of them.

A culture that a lot of them seem intent on pasting over our own in this ridiculous idea of multiculturalism disgust.gif

We've also gotten over the idea that, if a woman's raped, it was her fault, and she should be severely punished for it.

There's a line where I'm willing to accept "it's another culture, and we shouldn't judge it", and there's a great many things in their corner of the world that I feel cross that line...the treatment of women is one of them.

253712[/snapback]

Well written Seraphina. I agree with you 100%. I also feel that some of these things are not willingly part of their culture. Its obvious since many women in Kabul now go withut the burqa.

Anything can be part of any culture as long as the individual as the choice to refuse or go along.

Under no circumstances should it be right to abuse women or any individual because of culture or religion.

seraphina, i dont think everyone in the middle east has that view. i think the press, governments and exremists do well to create a stereotypical image of the middle east. my family would not react like that, im sure.

we should be understanding of what is obviously a different culture

diffrent culture or not they still shouldnt treat woman as property or as sex slaves.

It really seems like the women of afghanistan are doing well! Not!

Its disgraceful and I could care less wther they are a different culture, men and women are equal and should be treated as such! The americans are over there, they should be doing a damn lot more to give the female population more rights and a fairer go!

diffrent culture or not they still shouldnt treat woman as property or as sex slaves.

bigot, take your hating away from here laugh.gif

ahhh, don't worry guys i don't actually believe this crap, it would seem though, people in my uni classes do:)

It really seems like the women of afghanistan are doing well! Not!

Its disgraceful and I could care less wther they are a different culture, men and women are equal and should be treated as such! The americans are over there, they should be doing a damn lot more to give the female population more rights and  a fairer go!

254277[/snapback]

This is bigger than the 'Americans over there'. This requires a change in attitude across the world. As long as countries sit by and permit these things to happen because - it is within a particular country let them handle it. It should be....its in the world let the world handle it.

If we lose the war on terrorism, 'we' will be like those women over there. Well, us women will be. The men they will kill. We women will be lucky, if the islamists kill us too.

Don't they surgically take off women's clitoris over there, so that she doesn't have any pleasure in sex? Isn't that a tradition over there? disgust.gif

It is to assure the husband that the woman doesn't stray...you know commit adultery. (Although the men can cheat on their wives! wink2.gif ) I hear that the women have painful intercouse because of this little operation for the rest of their lives and problems with infection etc etc. 'painful vaginal problems' all their lives that require more surgery. The women are supposed to have babies...one after the other... until they are spent with exhaustion (and many die) ....that is their duty.

What they do to women there and in the arab world!...I can't help but wonder how those men would feel if the roles were reversed? cool.gif

Frankly, I would rather die than live like that!... where a woman doesn't have any power.... and can't even have 'any' and I mean ANY, say-so, over her body.

Women will be total slaves.

Edited by Babs

If we lose the war on terrorism, 'we' will be like those women over there. Well, us women will be. The men they will kill. We women will be lucky, if the islamists kill us too.

does a moment of the day pass when terrorism doesnt cross your mind?

YOu must be extremley depressed.

Babs, I understand that terrorism is something that needs to be dealt with and is horrible. It appears that your preoccupation with terrorism is bordering on an obsession...

Terrorists are not going to take over america.

is there nothing that can be done to stop the way these human beings are being treated???? huh.gif

You know, sometimes I think that things could be done to educate these people....sometimes I lose all hope. Currently, I'm in the kind of mood where I've lost all hope disgust.gif

It's been said before, and it'll be said again....as a culture, much of the middle east is literally one thousand years behind us. In their way of thinking and their way of living, many of them are at the same level we were during the crusades...the luxury of modern technology doesn't change what's making them tick.

I'm sure you can change the minds of some people...but you can't bring an entire cultural belief leaping up to join the rest of us in something remotely resembling civilisation.

is there nothing that can be done to stop the way these human beings are being treated???? huh.gif

254797[/snapback]

Ban religion all over the world?

254797[/snapback]

Unfortunately it may take several more of what happened in Russia. Maybe these types of things need to happen in more countries to increase the resolve to do away with terrorism. sad.gif

254797[/snapback]

Ban religion all over the world?

254804[/snapback]

or maybe just theirs.. whistling2.gif

Babs, I understand that terrorism is something that needs to be dealt with and is horrible. It appears that your preoccupation with terrorism is bordering on an obsession...

254789[/snapback]

That last statement is the most idiotic statement you've ever made. sad.gif It's thinking like that here in America that will get us into BIG TROUBLE.

Open your eyes, Fluffy! (This is why I am against Kerry and all you european thinkers. We are in big trouble if we go this route of thinking).

Edited by Babs

254789[/snapback]

That last statement is the most idiotic statement you've ever made. sad.gif It's thinking like that here in America that will get us into BIG TROUBLE.

Open your eyes, Fluffy!

254814[/snapback]

This was the tihinking that led to 9/11!! ohmy.gif

It's thinking like that here in America that will get us into BIG TROUBLE.

I think you'll find what's gotten America, and the rest of the world, into big trouble is Bush's amazing master plan to stir the pot....

Fluffy's right...being paraniod and seeing a terrorist on every street corner isn't going to help matters. The US is never going to be, and never has been, in danger of being taken over and turned into a gigantic Islamic state.

Yes, this is why I am against Kerry and all you european thinkers. If we go this route of thinking, we are in big trouble.

This is exactly what I am getting at, Sera, stop hiding your head in the sand...we are all afraid. crying.gif Are you going to let your fear paralyze you, so that you can't fight?...or won't?

Edited by Babs

You know Babs, I'm absolutely terrified that it's people like you who are going to decide who becomes the most powerful man in the world...

People who jump at their own shadow, and operate under the belief that terrorists are on their doorstep, and that they should rush into war to fight the Islamic world.

People who are more concerned with sound bites and party lines than facts or even simple logic.

People who will lookat what a crap hole your country is being turned into by its current leader, and still shout "Bush 2004".

I stand absolutely amazed at you Babs, and people like you....just...no words, seriously.

I give up on you...you are a coward.