Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] German forest boy baffles police

Saru

A 17-year-old boy who claims to have lived in a forest for years has perplexed police in Germany.

He walked out of a German forest, speaking English and knowing only his first name. Police in Berlin are trying to unravel the mystery of a teenager who says he has no idea who he is or where he comes from.

arrow3.gifRead more...

This is interesting. Some kind of amnesia? One wonders were he came from.

Edited by Squirrel93

Sort of like that 'Piano Man' that was around a few years ago.

This is exciting. Sounds a bit like those tales of childred who were brought up by Wolves. I also see it mentions Kaspar Hauser, that's just who I thought of when i saw this.

Edited by 747400

what didd they eat every day for years?

Black forest cake ? :unsure2:

My favourite similar story is the children of Banjos. The short story can be read here: http://paranormal.about.com/od/humanenigmas/a/aa091106.htm under "the green children, and the explanation of what happened channeled from our brothers and sisters in space can be found here: http://unveiledsecretsandmessagesoflight.blogspot.com/2009/08/green-children-of-banjos.html

Edited by Rolci

People need to stop confusing or associating this with feral children - it's not the same at all. Feral children never knew contact with civilization, and can not learn language, thus limiting their assimilation into any culture significantly (possibly entirely). Whereas this boy can speak English and even some German, even if only poor German. And he lived only 5 years wandering with his father.

I think the media jumped the gun on this one. It claims the police are still trying to put the puzzle peices together, which tells me they know only what the boy has said. I think this could be entirely a hoax. Possibly he concocted this elaborate story because he killed his father and needed an alibi.

Edited by Funky Poacher
  • Like 1

Well if he had walked out of the AMAZON forest I could go part way to beleiving this guy. A german forest,five years, no way.How does one eat in a German ice cold winter and in a forest.Could be a little cold in September,time to show one self. LOL

Well if he had walked out of the AMAZON forest I could go part way to beleiving this guy. A german forest,five years, no way.How does one eat in a German ice cold winter and in a forest.Could be a little cold in September,time to show one self. LOL

The Amazon?! What isn't trying to kill you in the Amazon?

Anyway, I agree with Funky. There's definitely nothing feral about him, he either did something he's trying to hide, it's a hoax or he really does have some sort of amnesia. Interesting nonetheless.

I bet £5 that he's lying.

You're on! I've only got Australian pennies.

My wife says I can afford to loose £100.

Edited by encouraged

In the story, he says he and his father, who had died 2 weeks earlier, had been traveling and living in the forest for five years. Maybe his father was a survival expert. One way to survive is by making pit fall animal traps.. and one way you can survive the cold is by digging into the earth... other animals do it all the time.

Hoax. There is no way you could survive by "roaming" in a German forest today.

Reminds me of the "piano man" story a few years back, which also disintegrated.

This reminds me of the previews to the movie Hannah. Maybe he is an assassin?

I agree with lightly about the father perhaps being a survivalist.

Hoax. There is no way you could survive by "roaming" in a German forest today.

Reminds me of the "piano man" story a few years back, which also disintegrated.

It could very well be just another hoax, of course.

But why don't you think it's possible to survive in a German forest?

You can eat pigeons, rabbits, eggs, boar, fish, herbs, roots, and so on.

It's not the issue of surviving in the forest that makes me put my lot in with team "hoax". The fact is he was there for five years - he stated this, but doesn't remember his life before the five years.

Simply ridiculous, pull a twelve year old boy out of surburbia and make him roam the forest with you for five years. If you are his parent, the berating over the loss of TV and McDonalds is not gonna stop for at least 3 of those years :devil: . And, what? At the age of 12 he had no memorable playmates, school events or you know ANY event in life. Frankly, regardless of age most people remember significant portions of their life from 5 years old onward and a few prior to that for most people even ....

Nah, not buying it at all.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

#19 -you make an assumption that he was used to tv, Big Macs etc. Not all kids are brought up with that dependency.

The press have suggested there is a story about the mother of this boy too, but that German police are not releasing details...

I agree, find it hard to believe, but that doesn't eman it isn't true!!

Hope the boy is okay!!

Edited by chainsawcam

As someone whose family comes from the Black Forest, I find it hard to believe that they lived in isolation in a German forest. Forests in Germany tend to be peppered with towns and villages. They either would have stumbled upon a town or some townspeople would have stumbled upon them.

As someone whose family comes from the Black Forest, I find it hard to believe that they lived in isolation in a German forest. Forests in Germany tend to be peppered with towns and villages. They either would have stumbled upon a town or some townspeople would have stumbled upon them.

i agree, the German forest are not Amazon, I'm a mountaineer if you are lost in forest ( i can say for sure in Europe ), try hiking thru the forest and mountains for one day, i'm garantiing you you will stumble upon in some village or a road.

Remember reading about this yesterday, really interesting.

I wouldn't completely rule out the survivalist father angle but I am sceptical.

Just a week or two ago didn't some guy turn up on a beach somewhere in the UK without any memory?

Stuff like this seems to happen a lot more than is reported.

Remember reading about this yesterday, really interesting.

I wouldn't completely rule out the survivalist father angle but I am sceptical.

Just a week or two ago didn't some guy turn up on a beach somewhere in the UK without any memory?

Stuff like this seems to happen a lot more than is reported.

I don't know if it's true or not, but time will turn it out. I am not familiar with german forests but if this had happened in the northwestern U.S, or Canada I could easily believe it. It's filled with survivalist people who rarely interact with the public and the terrain to stay out of sight if you wanted.

I've just been reading that the police are pretty convinced he's telling the truth and are trying to (seen as his primary language is English) determine where he's from, then try and identify the dialect and accent etc.

Stranger stuff have happened (incidents of 'feral children' coming to mind, as well as the Fritzl case) I think that this could easily be possible. Time will tell I guess