Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] German forest boy baffles police

Saru

Came across this news report today - apparently the boy is rejecting a public appeal to help identify him.

news link

He's hiding something. :blush:

Exactly, has to be a runaway at the very least ... of course, being 17 he could just be looking for a new ID cos he came to the conclusion he didn't like the life he had originally, hmm.

I agree. I find it hard to believe that he would be happy with the way he is and is not even a bit curious about who he is or where he came from.

Could be he is hiding something or hiding from someone and never expected to get the media attention he has received.

It is only a matter of time and I am sure someone will come foreward that recognizes him.

Edited by iamdee1

If he's faking and is hiding something, what are the chances he is not really 17?

I remember watching a show years ago, can't remember what it was called and I can't remember all the details, but a girl claimed to be a teenager and was placed into some sort of government care. As in this case, the girl had no interest in trying to find her parents.

She was finally recognized by someone that knew her and it was discovered she was actualy a very small 24 year old that could not handle life on her own and made up a situation so that someone would take care of her. It was all a hoax.

Maybe a crazy thought, but it would explain why he has no interest in determining who he is or where he came from.

What are the chances he watched the same show?

Edited by iamdee1

• 2 months later...

A 17-year-old boy who claims to have lived in a forest for years has perplexed police in Germany.

What every the case may be it is sad to me.

Yeah, hiding something. Why would he not agree to a DNA test? Two people calming to be his parents could be his parents and the DNA test would resolve the issue.

He should be offered a place in a hostel or home whatever the outcome, could be that his parents were hurting him.

Could also be that he's a nutter.

The whole story doesn't sound right. Something's definitely off on the story.

Remember what Yogi Berra might of said, "The truth is stranger than reality!"

Edited by encouraged

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that he does not know his own age, yet he knows they started this journey 5 years ago, and he knows hos father died 2 weeks? If he is able to keep track of those dates, how is it that he can't leep track of his own age?

• 2 months later...

It looks like he'll remain a mystery -

German authorities said the fate of the mysterious English-speaking ‘Forest Boy’ will forever remain a secret from the world.

'He wants no publicity and we have nothing more to say on this subject,' said a spokesman for youth authorities in Berlin.

'We will not enter into discussions about secrecy or otherwise. There will be no more information forthcoming on this case.'

Despite the German taxpayer stumping up close to £5,000 a month for his upkeep, the spokeswoman said that his wishes 'come first.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103281/Forest-Boy-British-teenager-said-lived-German-woodland-up.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

MAINZ, Germany -- Berlin police on Wednesday released a photograph of the so-called "forest boy," an English-speaking youth who wandered into the German capital nine months ago saying he had lived in the woods for five years with his father.

Investigators have failed to identify him and police are now hoping the image will prompt leads from the public.

The boy has told authorities his father called him "Ray" and that he was born June 20, 1994. However, he claims not to know his last name or where he's from

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/13/12200265-forest-boy-mystery-stumped-german-police-release-photo?lite

• Like 1

Solved.

A MYSTERIOUS "forest boy" who turned up in Berlin last year claiming to have lived in the woods for years is in fact a young Dutch man who left home without a word nine months ago, police said today.

"I can confirm that he is a boy of 20 from Hengelo," a city in northwestern Netherlands, a spokeswoman for the local police, Chantal Westerhoff, told AFP.

He left his home in September 2011 without telling his father or stepmother where he was going and the couple alerted the police to his absence.

• Like 1

"He has admitted that he is a fraud," Thomas Neuendorf of the Berlin Police told the Daily Telegraph.

"He hasn't said why he made up the story or where he came up with the details. But we always had our doubts and now, finally it's over for us," said Mr Neuendorf.

Police say he may now face charges of fraud. "He has been looked after by German authorities since September. He received money, clothes, housing and education and all because he told us lies. There may well be a case of fraud."

Reports said his care cost German taxpayers around £5,000 a month.

http://www.telegraph...-it-all-up.html

• Like 1

"He has admitted that he is a fraud," Thomas Neuendorf of the Berlin Police told the Daily Telegraph.

"He hasn't said why he made up the story or where he came up with the details. But we always had our doubts and now, finally it's over for us," said Mr Neuendorf.

Police say he may now face charges of fraud. "He has been looked after by German authorities since September. He received money, clothes, housing and education and all because he told us lies. There may well be a case of fraud."

Reports said his care cost German taxpayers around £5,000 a month.

http://www.telegraph...-it-all-up.html

Wow after all that. Cant believe how dissapointed I am it was all a hoax.

Wow after all that. Cant believe how dissapointed I am it was all a hoax.

Why? From the beginning it smelled like a hoax, i'm not really surprised.

Why? From the beginning it smelled like a hoax, i'm not really surprised.

Im not really suprised per say just disapointed. I guess I really wanted this to be a true mystery and not another hoax.

Honestly, it serves the police and European authorities right and they should share the costs of his upkeep as a result of their lack of productive effort.

Apparently the boys parents reported him missing and supplied a photo - why did it take so long to match a reported missing person photo with a found person? Europe is big sure but this made the news world wide - missing persons reports throughout Europe should have been scoured in all the neighbouring countries (it's an easy chance for a hit if you're sitting on a case of someone of similar age and description surely?) - was there a lack of co-ordination/co-operation or care that caused a whole nine months to pass before someone checked their current missing youths against a headline story like that?

Alot of heads planted in the sand if you ask me and a good indication of why missing persons cases remain unsolved for so long all round.