Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WA state Dems vote to legalize marijuana

SilverCougar

By a 75-43 vote, Washington state Democrats voted Saturday to endorse Initiative 502, which would legalize marijuana with distribution and sales put under control of the Liquor Control Board.

The party’s state committee adopted a resolution claiming that “thousands” of Washington citizens are “arrested, prosecuted and convicted for simple marijuana possession each year, wasting millions of dollars in police, court and jail resources.”

The resolution said legalization would yield the state $215 million each year in much-needed income, with $80 million going to the state general fund and $135 million used for substance abuse control.

le source

It truly does seem to come down to "Oh hey look! If we stop putting all these people in jail for minor pot possession charges, which costs millions, and legalize it.. we could SAVE millions.. and possibly MAKE millions!"

Down side.. the feds will still arrest you... Because you know... states don't exactly have all the rights you'd think they'ed get.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• MissMelsWell

• _Only

• ExpandMyMind

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see how we in California are mainly left alone with our defiance to federal law, under the guise that marijuana is only being used for medicinal purposes. Need cards and whatnot.

But the proposal to completely legalize and distribute it under the Liquor Control Board? :rolleyes: Bit ambitious proposal. There would be hell to pay from the fed. I can't see this happening, and the Republican side will surely not be as accepting.

I can see how we in California are mainly left alone with our defiance to federal law, under the guise that marijuana is only being used for medicinal purposes. Need cards and whatnot.

But the proposal to completely legalize and distribute it under the Liquor Control Board? :rolleyes: Bit ambitious proposal. There would be hell to pay from the fed. I can't see this happening, and the Republican side will surely not be as accepting.

Eventually the fed will learn to let states decide.

I read somewhere that about half of all of our tax money comes from alcohol and tobacco. Imagine the income if another drug is added...

I read somewhere that about half of all of our tax money comes from alcohol and tobacco. Imagine the income if another drug is added...

Now.. add all the money saved by not having to spend tax money for arresting/prosecuting/imprisoning people who grow/use pot. That would be an astounding chunk of cash.

The party’s state committee adopted a resolution claiming that “thousands” of Washington citizens are “arrested, prosecuted and convicted for simple marijuana possession each year, wasting millions of dollars in police, court and jail resources.”

Those same people are probably still going to be arrested. It will still be illegal to sell on the street, still illegal for minors, still illegal to transport across state lines, still be illegal to distribute, still be subject to being Under the Influence, and so on and so on. Quite probably they will just be able to issue a lot more, but more minor tickets/citations. Citation revenue will likely not fall off, criminal arrests will likely only slack off a little. And the State gets to collect a bucket of taxes.

Those same people are probably still going to be arrested. It will still be illegal to sell on the street, still illegal for minors, still illegal to transport across state lines, still be illegal to distribute, still be subject to being Under the Influence, and so on and so on. Quite probably they will just be able to issue a lot more, but more minor tickets/citations. Citation revenue will likely not fall off, criminal arrests will likely only slack off a little. And the State gets to collect a bucket of taxes.

if it's under the liquor laws.. it will get people to stop buying off the streets.. (or lessen it to a point) Really the only part that will be an issue is the feds.

The Feds would never allow this for the same reason it will never happen (for a long time) here in Britain: It would put half of them out of a job. Seriously, there would be literally hundreds of thousands of people out of a job (Feds and those associated with the 'crime').

The Feds would never allow this for the same reason it will never happen (for a long time) here in Britain: It would put half of them out of a job. Seriously, there would be literally hundreds of thousands of people out of a job (Feds and those associated with the 'crime').

Technically, the Feds have marijuana wrongly classified as a class one narcotic under the current federal law.

Each state has it's own liquor laws. For example here in Washington state where SilverCougar and I live, and this initiative is on the ballot to legalize MJ, we don't have a maximum alcohol content on our liquor. So it's not at all uncommon to see an 11% or 12% beer on teh shelves. However, in other states, like Kansas for example, their beer alcohol content can't exceed 5%. Many states have entire counties that are "dry" where no alcohol can be sold at all, by any establishment at any time (drinkers in these counties travel out of county to buy their alcohol and bring it in for consumption at home).

Like in the case of alcohol, states and counties should be able to decide how and what they sell in regards to marijuana. There are a few states that are on the bleeding edge of pressing to legalize marijana despite what the feds say. Washington is one, California, Colorado, Massechuttes, Oregon and Vermont. It's no surprise that these are all wealthy states, with highly educated residents, who are typically liberal in their politics. All of these states have already legalized medical marijuana, and have had dispensaries for years now.

I always tell a funny story about pot usage in Seattle that I witnessed. Smoking is not allowed in bars, restaurants, or any enclosed space in Washington State. So we were at a club, and some dude lights up a joint in the club... the bouncers call the cops, and physically usher dude outside with his flaming doobie... the cops show up, dude's still smokin' it up outside... they gave him a ticket for smoking in a public indoor area, asked him to put his joint out and don't light it again until after they'd driven away. This is pretty much the police sentiment in Seattle aka "we don't care if you smoke it, although we'd like it if you made an attempt to hide it, and if you're not going to, we'll ask you to put it out until we walk away." It's rather comical.

Of course, the worlds biggest pot festival happens in Seattle every year (in August usually) ... Hempfest, that's pretty much a free-for-all... Hempfest has become a world-wide event and draws a lot of tourism and locals alike. I think they celebrated 17 years of throwing the festival this year.

I remember that huge drumming fest.. circle on a lawn near Folklife. So many people there were blazing and the cops basically stood around the circle to make sure people only smoked in that area. X) That's when I realized how much I do love this state.

I remember that huge drumming fest.. circle on a lawn near Folklife. So many people there were blazing and the cops basically stood around the circle to make sure people only smoked in that area. X) That's when I realized how much I do love this state.

Heh, Folklife has had that drum circle blaze fest for more than 20 years. Were any of the drummers nekkid LOL? Seattle doesn't have any public nudity laws either (as long as you're not being lewd or lascivious) generally you'll spot a few people drummin' like mad in the buff and they're usually a wee bit glassy eyed too. LOL. If you have any personal problems with public pot usage or public nudity, my suggestion is that you don't visit Seattle or Portland Oregon... you might have your little sensibilities offended.

Technically, the Feds have marijuana wrongly classified as a class one narcotic under the current federal law.

Each state has it's own liquor laws. For example here in Washington state where SilverCougar and I live, and this initiative is on the ballot to legalize MJ, we don't have a maximum alcohol content on our liquor. So it's not at all uncommon to see an 11% or 12% beer on teh shelves. However, in other states, like Kansas for example, their beer alcohol content can't exceed 5%. Many states have entire counties that are "dry" where no alcohol can be sold at all, by any establishment at any time (drinkers in these counties travel out of county to buy their alcohol and bring it in for consumption at home).

Like in the case of alcohol, states and counties should be able to decide how and what they sell in regards to marijuana. There are a few states that are on the bleeding edge of pressing to legalize marijana despite what the feds say. Washington is one, California, Colorado, Massechuttes, Oregon and Vermont. It's no surprise that these are all wealthy states, with highly educated residents, who are typically liberal in their politics. All of these states have already legalized medical marijuana, and have had dispensaries for years now.

I always tell a funny story about pot usage in Seattle that I witnessed. Smoking is not allowed in bars, restaurants, or any enclosed space in Washington State. So we were at a club, and some dude lights up a joint in the club... the bouncers call the cops, and physically usher dude outside with his flaming doobie... the cops show up, dude's still smokin' it up outside... they gave him a ticket for smoking in a public indoor area, asked him to put his joint out and don't light it again until after they'd driven away. This is pretty much the police sentiment in Seattle aka "we don't care if you smoke it, although we'd like it if you made an attempt to hide it, and if you're not going to, we'll ask you to put it out until we walk away." It's rather comical.

Of course, the worlds biggest pot festival happens in Seattle every year (in August usually) ... Hempfest, that's pretty much a free-for-all... Hempfest has become a world-wide event and draws a lot of tourism and locals alike. I think they celebrated 17 years of throwing the festival this year.

Thanks for the informative post! That was a good read, Melsy :D

Your state sounds excellent, and the people well informed. Hopefully others will take a (*cough*) leaf out of your state's book and the rest of the West will wake up to the actual facts regarding this plant.

Heh, Folklife has had that drum circle blaze fest for more than 20 years. Were any of the drummers nekkid LOL? Seattle doesn't have any public nudity laws either (as long as you're not being lewd or lascivious) generally you'll spot a few people drummin' like mad in the buff and they're usually a wee bit glassy eyed too. LOL. If you have any personal problems with public pot usage or public nudity, my suggestion is that you don't visit Seattle or Portland Oregon... you might have your little sensibilities offended.

Yeah some were... it was awesome to see. X) Nothing wrong.. everyone having fun.. how could that be harmful in any way!

Like in the case of alcohol, states and counties should be able to decide how and what they sell in regards to marijuana.

Can't really equate states being able to put further restrictions on things, as opposed to making illegal things legal though, right?

Don't get me wrong... marijuana is still illegal in Washington state. If you are smoking a joint in public or carrying even the smallest amount, the police CAN haul your butt to jail... although it would be very very rare that they'd actually do that. Once in jail, it's even MORE unlikely the judge would do anything other than fine you (if that) and let you go.

It's not officially legal or decriminalized here, but the authorities generally won't do a dang thing about it, and they've very publically and officially stated that they're not interested in medical or recreational pot users.

If they legalize it, and restrict it like they do with alcohol (and actually enforce the laws), good.

It could very well be a good tax revenue. It might even help the states out (maybe not the federal government).

However, there are still big issues that will make it difficult to where it actually works out.

First, no matter what anyone thinks, they'll never be able to fully regulate it. They can try, but they won't be able to.

Second, there will be more laws that will make most lawyers and judges go "huh??" And if they don't know what to make of them, how will the average citizen?

Third, as with everything else, this will have opposition (most likely, after the fact), and it will get ugly.

That being said, I really don't care one way or another. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then someone just created a new problem.

Edited by MstrMsn