Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schoolboy with three-inch ponytail sparks row

Still Waters

A schoolboy has been withdrawn from lessons after his father refused to cut off his son's three-inch ponytail.

Connor Wallwork, 11, has sported the unusual hairstyle since he was a toddler, but has now been told by staff at Westhoughton High in Bolton that it breaches their strict uniform code.

The pupil, who had just started at the Greater Manchester secondary school, was told he'd have to be taught in a classroom on his own until he had it cut.

Now the boy's father has claimed that the school is infringing his son's human rights and has withdrawn the youngster from classes.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• Blackwhite

• The Silver Thong

• shadowhive

Well..the pony tail is barely noticeable and I fail to see how this causes a issues especially when there are other problems. However I also wonder why this is even an issue now because it seems to me the boy was able to wear the hair that way before.

On the other hand the school does have a dress code and it is no different that if he went to a workplace and enforced a dress code. We may not like it but that is life. All these places are perfectly within their rights to demand that certain basics be observed.

Also..I like the pony tail and see nothing wrong and calling the boy "stupid" for having his hair that way and calling the father "stupid" for allowing it simply accomplishes nothing.

Anyways..life is life. If the pony tail needs to go then so be it.

There are human rights that allow people to have a tacky "rat tail"?

Does that apply to mullets as well?

I bet all of those people dying in Africa are so glad that the human rights they strive for to keep their belly filled will cover a ridiculous hairstyle if need be.

I wouldn't say its a human rights issue, but its definitely sexist to allow women to have pony-tails but not males.

My fiancée has long hair, and works in nursing, and always ties it back. His hair isn't as long as some of the women he works with, and yet he always gets hassle for it, even though there is absolutely no difference between his hair and the women's he works with; they're both neatly tied back. I consider it unfair for him to get hassle over it when a woman with the same type of hair doesn't get mentioned.

I wouldn't say its a human rights issue, but its definitely sexist to allow women to have pony-tails but not males.

what does the school uniform policy state? The very policy they agreed to when sending the child to the school. The school I work at has a list of approved ways of wearing hair, if the hair touches the collar it must be worn in a pony-tail (or two), male students are not allowed to have hair that touches the collar.

what does the school uniform policy state? The very policy they agreed to when sending the child to the school. The school I work at has a list of approved ways of wearing hair, if the hair touches the collar it must be worn in a pony-tail (or two), male students are not allowed to have hair that touches the collar.

Which is sexist. Which was my point.

I concur. If you don't let boys hair touch the collar then the girls shouldn't t either

So make the girls cut their hair... such is life right!?

Is it? By definition, sexism would be the blind acceptance of stereotypes regarding girls and boys. It seems to me that they did not go into this blindly; they very specifically set out in writing guidelines for male and female uniform policy. The purpose of a uniform (as the name pretty much states) is for the males to dress the same and the females to dress the same.

On what grounds can someone claim that a dress code for boys and a dress code for girls is sexist? There hasn't been a society yet in the history of civilization that has not acknowledged the gender difference. Claiming that boys and girls should have same dress code is sexist; it utterly and blindly ignores the stereotypes between boys and girls. Remember that stereotypes exist for a reason.

Girls at most secondary schools in Britain can choose to either wear skirts or trousers. Some usually wear a skirt if it's a warm day and trousers if it's a cold day.

However, boys can only wear trousers at secondary school whatever the weather and woe betide any boy coming to school wearing shorts on a hot day.

It's yet another example of schools being sexist against boys.

Edited by Blackwhite

male students are not allowed to have hair that touches the collar.

Why not? It's just one of those stupid, petty rules that serve no purpose.

He knew the rules. Looks like another child and parent trying to create a story out of nothing.

Besides, it looks ridiculous.

Whether it looks "ridiculous" or not is just a matter of opinion. In my opinion, most people wouldn't care that he has a tiny little ponytail and probably won't even notice.

The school (which I've noticed is Westhoughton High in my hometown of Bolton) should be more concerned with giving him an education rather than fussing about a poxy little ponytail. They should be more concerned with what's IN his head, not what's on it, especially when what's on his head causes no harm to anybody.

And, in my view, if girls can choose whether to wear skirts or trousers at school it's only right that boys should be able to choose whether or not to have ponytails in their hair at school (many boys and men have ponytails).

Edited by Blackwhite

Whether it looks "ridiculous" or not is just a matter of opinion. In my opinion, most people wouldn't care that he has a tiny little ponytail and probably won't even notice.

The school (which I've noticed is Westhoughton High in my hometown of Bolton) should be more concerned with giving him an education rather than fussing about a poxy little ponytail. They should be more concerned with what's IN his head, not what's on it, especially when what's on his head causes no harm to anybody.

And, in my view, if girls can choose whether to wear skirts or trousers at school it's only right that boys should be able to choose whether or not to have ponytails in their hair at school (many boys and men have ponytails).

Rules are rules. The parents were made aware of the dress code before he started. No bleating about human rights, if the parents dont like the rules then just move him... Simple. Of course they should have chosen a different school in the first place if his , or the parent's vanity were more important than schooling...

Why not? It's just one of those stupid, petty rules that serve no purpose.

If it prevents children wearing rats tails or mullets to school, it's not purposeless ;)

It's one of those "this school projects an image of smartly dressed and well presented students, stick to that or go to another school" rules, like how we have a dress uniform for outings and formal days and that the teachers all must wear certain clothes in certain ways on such days. It's all image.

There is a lesson to be learned here:

"Remember Junior, if you are invited to play in the homes of other children, it is not up to the parents, but rather up to you, to decide which rules you should follow and which rules they should have to change in order for you to play in their homes."

We moderators have to deal with similar issues on these forums on a fairly regular basis.

Edited by aquatus1

Just curious and this question may be ignored without prejudice ...

What happens if the child is transgendered.

This is happening more and more these days with a pretty popular little girl ( born a boy and still with boy parts) now given permission by her parents to be herself and dress the way that makes her feel most comfortable. As a stereotypical girl. How would this subject be approached?

I'm honestly asking a real question. I realize it may seem obsurd to some people And I understand. I hope we can still discuss this in a professional manner.

If not then please just dismiss this. All views are absolutely welcome though as I would prefer an open discussion.

Just curious and this question may be ignored without prejudice ...

What happens if the child is transgendered.

This is happening more and more these days with a pretty popular little girl ( born a boy and still with boy parts) now given permission by her parents to be herself and dress the way that makes her feel most comfortable. As a stereotypical girl. How would this subject be approached?

I'm honestly asking a real question. I realize it may seem obsurd to some people And I understand. I hope we can still discuss this in a professional manner.

If not then please just dismiss this. All views are absolutely welcome though as I would prefer an open discussion.

In all honesty, I suspect it would come down to how the child wishes to represent themselves in class. Either as a boy or as a girl. No halfways, not yet anyways.

So then it is quite possible even with certain rules in place that if represented as a girl from the beginning then the rules for girls would be honored.... or in your opinion should be honored?

For one it is against dress code, second it`s really freakin ugly and as fluffy said. It`s a rat tail and to be honest we called it much worse in my day. Is it ok for a girl to have a haircut that conforms to the regulations and then dye her hair blue and purple. Probably not. Cut the embarassment off and move on. For those that say it`s some form of sexism, hmm ok make girls cut there hair like boys or make boys grow there hair like girl if you want to go that route. Don`t think it will work.

Cut the thing off as his father is trying to live his outdated look through his son. The father should grow one and see the ridicule he get`s. Uniforms are for that very reason.

Being from the UK i went to both primary and secondary with rather long hair (at one point almost touching the bottom of my spine), it was never an issue unless someone tried to make it an issue. One teacher did request i cut it. I asked on what grounds do i have to cut my hair. He replied for your own good and to prevent bullying. I have never been bullied in my life so this was ludicrous. I personally believe he just wanted to boss me into changing something i have had my whole life ( up to that point).

Having Long hair never effected my grades, it never prevented my performance in school and never stopped me making friends. I do not see why hairstyles should be forced its not the military it is school.

I just do not understand the problem, is his hair effecting his grades or causing him to be disruptive to other students? Or is this about that school trying to preserve an image and a boy with long hair could be frowned upon as a ruffian?

Edited by Vaise

For one it is against dress code, second it`s really freakin ugly and as fluffy said. It`s a rat tail and to be honest we called it much worse in my day. Is it ok for a girl to have a haircut that conforms to the regulations and then dye her hair blue and purple. Probably not. Cut the embarassment off and move on. For those that say it`s some form of sexism, hmm ok make girls cut there hair like boys or make boys grow there hair like girl if you want to go that route. Don`t think it will work.

Cut the thing off as his father is trying to live his outdated look through his son. The father should grow one and see the ridicule he get`s. Uniforms are for that very reason.

Have you entertained the notion that the child may prefer it and wants to keep it. Maybe the child doesn't care about ridicule or how others view him. It may have nothing to do with the father. I may have missed the part where it said the father wished him to keep it and If I did then my question is a non sequitor. If that's the case I apologize. And my my have you an emotional attachment to this subject I am not aware of?

Edit for spelling

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Have you entertained the notion that the child may prefer it and wants to keep it. Maybe the child doesn't care about ridicule or how others view him. It may have nothing to do with the father. I may have missed the part where it said the gather wished him to keep it and If I did then my question is a non sequitor. If that's the case I apologize. And my my have you an emotional attachment to this subject I am not aware of?

Edit for spelling

The entire reason for school uniforms and dress code is not to have students singled out. Maybe you have missed the point of what a dress code is. Who cares what the kid or the father want, that is not the point at all is it... It`s a dress code that the father and son sighned up for. Maybe when the kid is older and want`s to be in the military lol they will take the dress code to court then as well LOL