Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schoolboy with three-inch ponytail sparks row

Still Waters

If it prevents children wearing rats tails or mullets to school, it's not purposeless ;)

And why can't kids wear "rat-tails" or mullets at school? The "rat-tail" that that boy has is only three inches long and is barely noticeable. And, if you read the article carefully, you'll see that the boy has ALWAYS had it since he has had hair. He's had it since he was a toddler. He didn't decide to grow it because he thought it looks cool. It is a natural growth.

Edited by Blackwhite

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• Blackwhite

• The Silver Thong

• aquatus1

So if the father decided to dye the kids hair pink from when he was just a wee one and the kid liked it

The father didn't decide to give his son a "rat-tail". Rat-tails are an entirely natural phenomenon and he's had it since he's had hair.

Edited by Blackwhite

I think if the school has some silly, petty, pointless rules which are there for no particular reason (such as boys not being able to have ponytails) then something needs to be done to force the school to get rid of these daft, petty, silly rules and let boys have three inch ponytails if they so desire (most girls' ponytails are much longer than three inches but the school wouldn't be complaining about them).

Get rid of the daft rules and let boys have ponytails. The school should be more concerned about education, not barely-noticeable ponytails. As long as the boy sits and listens in class and gets good grades he can have a mohican or a punk rocker hairstyle for all I care. Grades, not hairstyle, are important.

And there is a right way and a wrong way to go about changing the rules. The wrong way is to make the unsupported and random assumption that the rules are arbitrary and reasonless. Another mistake to make is to assume the rules are daft, petty, or silly, because at that point you have decided that your personal opinion is sufficient to qualify the rules that you dislike, and, frankly, the rules are not yours to qualify.

The third mistake is to assume that boys and girls are the same, but honestly, that should have been plenty obvious by the time you got to grade school. Why people think they should be forced to act the same as each other boggles the mind.

Possibly the worst attitude one can take is that one has the right to insult and ignore any rules one does not personally like, in spite of having signed a contract agreeing to follow those rules, in spite of being in someone else's house, in spite of being about as junior as you can get in that particular society.

The right way is to follow the rules, show that you both understand and respect them, all the while gathering support from the student body to change a rule, based on your reasoned and logical argument regarding both the source, the purpose, and the effect, of the rule you want changed. Not only will this teach you the appropriate way of dealing with society (which does not appreciate someone who has been there for 4 days suddenly dictating what is right and what is wrong), it will also garner you the respect of your peers and even your seniors, even if you do not ultimately succeed.

The father didn't decide to give his son a "rat-tail". Rat-tails are an entirely natural phenomenon and he's had it since he's had hair.

Growing hair is a totaly natural thing. It`s why we have barber shops, scissors and razors. Natural phenomenon :lol:

The problem with these stories, which come up every few weeks it seems, is that they are the equivalent of a child in a grocery store screaming "you're mean, mommy" or some such in order to score a new toy or candy bar. Squawking about how unfair the school rule is to your more-special-than-anyone-else child is the same thing.

It's not the correct way to go about getting a rule changed. It's not mature or intelligent or anything. I'm a little tired of all these stories about parents who think their own child is above the rules of society, or any microcosm thereof. Having an odd hairstyle is not a human rights issue. Anyone who thinks it is should get their head out of their posterior and take a look around the world.

Growing hair is a totaly natural thing. It`s why we have barber shops, scissors and razors. Natural phenomenon :lol:

If my school told me to shave all my hair off I'd object.

If my school told me to shave all my hair off I'd object.

Then don't let your parents enroll you in a military school cuz that's pretty close.

He shouldn't be treated any differently from the other students. Cut the ratty thing off. :rofl:

Sorry but I agree with the school.

Differences can be tolerated if the cause is religion but cultures which are created by people rebelling against society should be excluded from schools. This means children should be removed if they wear pony tails, get tatoos, piercings, smoke, do drugs or promote other rebel cultures.

A schools aim is to set children up for life with good qualifications. It isnt to expose them to the dysfunctional side of society.

Differences can be tolerated if the cause is religion but cultures which are created by people rebelling against society should be excluded from schools. This means children should be removed if they wear pony tails, get tatoos, piercings, smoke, do drugs or promote other rebel cultures.

A schools aim is to set children up for life with good qualifications. It isnt to expose them to the dysfunctional side of society.

are you saying having a pony tail as a male is dysfunctional?

Just curious, but how many successful businessmen do you see with ponytails? Except for maybe wrestlers, I can't think of any.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Just curous, but how many successful businessmen do you see with ponytails? Except for maybe wrestlers, I can't think of any.

Not many, but I know a whole heck of a lot of construction workers, carpenters, roofers, welders, pipe fitters, machinists, mechanics and what not with long hair.

Putting a pony tail in with the like of drug users is ridiculous, i have had a form of pony tail all my life, so i am as bad and or as dysfunctional as a drug user?, i am sorry but i cant help but take offense to that. Just because i have longer hair than someone else does not make me a dysfunctional individual, is this the same for people with shaved heads? Just because a particular group of people aka National front and/Or skinheads shave there heads does not make all people with shaved heads dysfunctional, and same goes for males with long hair. Just because some rebels and hippies in the 1970s had long hair, does not mean i am rebellions. I am a functional member of society as much as the next guy, i have long hair because i have always liked how it looks and it suits me.

But please don't assign having a pony tail to the likes of being a drug user.

Edit: Oh and also, I worked with virgin mobile/media for a long time and met many Execs and Area managers with longer hair than mine. so go figure.

Edited by Vaise

:rolleyes:

Most of those things aren't even remotely comparable

Just curious, but how many successful businessmen do you see with ponytails? Except for maybe wrestlers, I can't think of any.

His dad is determined for his son to keep his ponytail, I'm not sure he'll be able to enforce this for the rest of the boys life.

His dad is determined for his son to keep his ponytail, I'm not sure he'll be able to enforce this for the rest of the boys life.

The dad is determined to allow the boy to keep the hair the boy likes and wishes to keep.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Tattoos are no longer rebellious. LOL that is an old opinion and without looking at the persons profile I would like to go out on a limb and say that person is either middle aged born around the 50's and or adamantly religious. If tattoos offend please do not look at many doctors skin or the even more surprisingly growing in numbers, pastors or ministers. As the previous example has seems growth in my lifetime. As a child I rarely seen tattoos on people though I was not particularly looking either. CEOs are found to have been increasing in numbers also. I don't have any data or research papers to quote but I will look to see if my own observations match any statistical data. If I find they do not match I will gladly post the data anyway.

The question is why isnt he happy fitting in with normal culture?

So because you and others don't like that particular ponytail, the boy must therefore have a problem?

Plus..who are YOU to decide that being "normal" means having the same hair as everyone else. For that matter, how do you plan to define a "normal" culture? Only that which you agree with?

So far I have read plenty of people piling on the hate for the boy because he has a "ugly rat tail" and therefore saying that it should go..because YOU don't like it.

So of a male wears, say, a shirt that is dusty rose in color, that he is therefore "abnormal"?

Anyways...why is this barely noticeable hair thing being focused on when there are actually REAL issues to deal with like bullying or kids being abused.

When I reead the article, I barely even noticed the pony tail and now it is a huge issue because now that is all that anyone can focus on...who cares if he is basically a good kid..he has that "ugly rat tail" so therefore he and his father are freaks. Wow...

Edited by Ryu

I would like to extend the opportunity for you to expand on this idea. As this statement may well bring up quite a bit of animosity from other readers. I'd like for you to explain what is normal why people need to fit in with your idea of normal. How not being Like you will effect society in a negative manner. If people do not meet your standard what actions should we take to eliminate the problem. And do you feel in any way that not showing acceptance, tolerance and compassion for people not like you is a good or bad quality.

I hope you can address my query. I am making sure to try to understand you.

SO by this logic, i am not happy in "NORMAL" culture ok well i don't know what your "NORMAL" culture is? I go shopping for food and luxury's like everyone else, i have a drink with friends, um like everyone else. I am struggling to find the part of your "NORMAL" Culture i am not fitting in with, perhaps you could enlighten me?

All this...because of a hairstyle. its actually pretty pathetic.

There is no such thing as 'normal'. I learned that long ago. It's quite obvious really if you use your eyes. Next time you're out on the street take a quick look around. People will have all different kinds of hair, wear all kinds of different clothes, be different skin colours etc. Just one quick glance around a busy street will show you that 'normal' simply does not exist and it's a rather dangerous concept.

For example in the past being right handed was considered 'normal'. This meant anyone left handed was treated as a freak and forced into being right handed.

That's just one example where the concept of 'normal' has led to dangerous consequeces. It's happened other times as well and, I'm ashamed to say, it continues to happen to this day.

I would like to extend the opportunity for you to expand on this idea. As this statement may well bring up quite a bit of animosity from other readers. I'd like for you to explain what is normal why people need to fit in with your idea of normal. How not being Like you will effect society in a negative manner. If people do not meet your standard what actions should we take to eliminate the problem. And do you feel in any way that not showing acceptance, tolerance and compassion for people not like you is a good or bad quality.

I hope you can address my query. I am making sure to try to understand you.

Why animosity towards me?

The US State determines what is seen as normal culture not me and it disagrees with kids at school with ponytails. This is not about minorities, inequalities and tolerance. Its about rebellion in a child.

The source of rebellion might be low self esteem making him want to carve out his own identity. It might also be attention seeking. You guys wont win this argument because firstly you are turning it into something it isnt and secondly the US State agrees with me.

Finally what adults do is up to them but up until the age of 18 the State has responsibilities towards the child.

Edited by Chimpanzee

Why animosity towards me?

The US State determines what is seen as normal culture not me and it disagrees with kids at school with ponytails. This is not about minorities, inequalities and tolerance. Its about rebellion in a child.

The source of rebellion might be low self esteem making him want to carve out his own identity. It might also be attention seeking. You guys wont win this argument because firstly you are turning it into something it isnt and secondly the US State agrees with me.

Finally what adults do is upto them but uptill the age of 18 the State has responsibilities towards to child.

This is in the UK NOT the US so what the US sttate determies as normal has no baring at all on this.

Also how is a kid wanting his own identity a source of 'rebellion'? You make out that any individuality displayed by a child is something evil that needs to be crushed as soon as possible.

Edited by shadowhive