Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rick Perry is finished

Mike 215

And another Tea Party candidate bites the dust. He lost the Florida straw poll by a wide margin and that should finish his ambition to run for the presidency.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike 215

• DieChecker

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• Varelse

And another Tea Party candidate bites the dust. He lost the Florida straw poll by a wide margin and that should finish his ambition to run for the presidency.

Are you kidding? How exactly is a Florida straw poll months before any actual voting relevant. Obama didn't even win Florida in 2008. As we all know, Hillary is president right?

I think it might be a tad bit early to get the fat lady to tune up. I am not a fan of perry, nor do I wish him to win, but straw poles are just tiny pools of people being questioned, and not enough to give an accurate idea of what is going on across the state/country as we have seen so many straw poles fail miserably in predicting things before.

Romney won a straw poll, Ron Paul won a straw poll, now Herman Cain. It just means it's anyone's game right now. :hmm: It's good, if people were just letting the media decide, it would be all be Romney or Perry. People are deciding for themselves :tu:

Edited by Halloween78

I agree, the tp is seeing his neocon roots more and more. He isn't Bush light, he's Bush on steroids.

I really think we'll see at least two, maybe three more candidates throw their hat in the ring in the next month.

If anyone's interested, here's a Cain interview after he won the poll. Apparently he was close to calling it quits and went on to loudly(I guess) criticize Obama.

link

"The thing that I've learned about myself in this campaign--because I've never had this happen to me before on a single challenge--is that I've gone to the brink, ready to pull the plug, but came back, twice," Cain said. "I've only had two days where I personally felt, should I pull the plug? For different reasons. That's how frustrating a campaign can be."

When I pressed for details, he said he'd prefer to keep them to himself.

"I can't tell you what those two days are," he said. "But think about the number of days we've been on this campaign. Two ain't that bad."

After a few caffeine-heavy refills at our corner table, I asked him about President Obama's new effort to raise taxes on the wealthy, and Cain just about blew a blood vessel--especially when I mentioned the part where Obama says it's about "math" not "class warfare."

"Can I be blunt? That's a lie," Cain said, before the sound of his voice began to rise noticeably higher. "You're not supposed to call the president a liar. Well if you're not supposed to call the president a liar, he shouldn't tell a lie. If it's not class warfare, it's highway robbery. He wants us to believe it's not class warfare, oh okay, it's not class warfare. Pick my pockets, because that's what he's doing!"

Cain paused, took a breath and looked at me.

"I'm not mad at you, I just get passionate about this stuff," he said. "I have to tell people because I get so worked up . . . . I'm listening to all this bull that he's talking about, 'fairness' and 'balanced approach' to get this economy going."

Where again is the mystery, the unexplainedness, the bizarre, science, or even human interest component in this thread? Doesn't CNN have forums? I understand that not everything on this site deals with actual unexplained mysteries (less than ten percent, probably), but politics? You can't convince me that this falls into any of the categories commonly reported here, and don't try to pull the wool over my eyes by saying "conspiracy theories!" Enough ranting, carry on, enjoy. :)

Edit: yes, I do realize this is a bona fide category in the forums, I just couldn't withstand the temptation to be a jackass. :)

Edited by Muenzenhamster

If Perry is through then everyone else is too. The only interesting thing in this straw poll is that Perry was only 1 percent ahead of Romney.

Where again is the mystery, the unexplainedness, the bizarre, science, or even human interest component in this thread?

The unexplained is probably how the heck Cain won the poll. Probably he took a play from Ron Paul's playbook and filled the event with his own people to vote for him.

The results of the straw polls so far only show one thing: Nobody is really satisfied with the candidates at hand. It is not that anybody is finished as at the end they still need a candidate for prezz. The only thing that one might question is: with unsatisfying candidates how much more does Obama have to loose popularity for any of them to have a chance?

Edited by questionmark

Even several Progressive/Liberal journalists have said that unless Obama brings his approval numbers back up by helping lower unemployment, he is looking at being a One-Termer.

Even several Progressive/Liberal journalists have said that unless Obama brings his approval numbers back up by helping lower unemployment, he is looking at being a One-Termer.

LOL. But you think the f ups in Congress will go unnoticed and they will be happy with a Gop candidate. I mean of all the kindergarten stuff I have seen our Gop majority Congress is about the least confident building group of people I have ever seen.

If the right as if it matters can't come up with a canidate Obama is a shoe in. The pub's right now look like a bunch of geese just making noise. There could only be one to run against Obama and not look like a joke.

I think we will be seeing much of the same as Obama has no serious threat. The Obama bashing and the economy was and is very clear not something that happened on his watch. He's trying to clean it up, but when the mop is still muddy it's kinda hard.

Edited by The Silver Thong

At this point I would even vote for Hillary. :rolleyes:

LOL silver I had to go back And fix my spelling before I posted. When I typed Gop it came up as mop also... I have as few jokes in mind but ill let them stay where they are.

The Zogby poll of Republican voters was done a few weeks before the Florida Straw poll and the result were that Cain got 28% and Perry got 18% with Romney getting 17%. In the Florida Poll Cain increased his percentage to 34%.

Perry would be acceptable to the old Republican Party, but now that the Tea Party ultra conservatives are running everything he is not acceptable because of his stand on immigration, vaccines for young girls and social security.

A few more polls and I predict he will be heading back to Texas. I cannot see he even debating Romney again after when Romney did to him in the Florida debate. He was cut to pieces by the former governor.

I live in Florida and my local newspaper, the Palm Beach Post, interviewed a number of people who voted in the straw poll. They said they were supporting Perry but when then saw the debate they changed their minds and voted for Cain. The candidates were supposed to give a speech to the voters before they voted but Perry left down while Cain gave a great speech.

Social security:

Cain has strongly criticized the current implementation of Social Security, describing it as a "scam." He favors reforming the current system "through free market solutions."

Several times, Cain has referenced the Chilean model of redoing social security. He supports the Chilean model for younger citizens while retaining the current system for current beneficiaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Herman_Cain#Social_security

Social Security:

In Perry's book, Fed Up!, published in the fall of 2010, he said that Social Security was "a crumbling monument to the failure of the New Deal.” He likened the program to "an illegal Ponzi scheme" and also suggested that it was unconstitutional, having been enacted "at the expense of respect for the Constitution and limited government." During the promotion of the book he said that the Federal government should leave health care to the states and focus on putting Social Security on "better and more solid footing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Perry

These are almost exactly the same stands. It is just that Herman did a better sales job with the elderly (1/3rd of Florida voters) so they saw him as less of a threat to their regular check. Both say SS is a "scam" and both would like to rework it to be more effective (in their mind).

The issue which really finished him off with the straw poll voters was his stand on illegal immigration where he passed a law allowing them to get lower rate for collPerry tried to defend his position saying if you do not want to help them then you 'do not have a heart.' Four or eight years ago a Republican candidate could get away with such ideas such as Bush did when he wanted amnesty for p[;illegals. But the Republican Party is now dominated by the Tea Party who wants a perfect conservative candidate (if they exist at all).

So Perry does not qualify and it is over for him.

He passed that law allowing illgeals to get lower tuition, but then the legislature voted against it. He should have gone to the legislature first with ths law, but decided to do it on his own and now he pays the price.