Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is God Evil?

Beastly Decimal

OK, let's all assume that God exists. (To clarify, God is the being who created the universe and life.) We'll leave all that other theological junk out of it, like the Holy Books, angels, the Devil, etc. We're talking about God, the Creator, not the religious image we hold of Him and definitely not his "son".

In religion, they try to make God seem like an all benevolent and merciful being, with little exception. But what if the Creator of out universe is a flat out prick, easily irked and ready to throw humans into Hell at a moments notice? What if he is a near omnipotent being with no divine plan at all - an immortal baby killing time by playing with sentient action figures? (I.E. us)

OK, so there is a God, and He is Evil (by the average human moral code). My question is...so what? What are YOU going to do? Are you going to worship Him or tell Him to go to Hell? And if you do tell him to go to Hell, what then? What purpose can your life hold?

If this God created our Universe but doesn't care about us (question to the religious ones), are you or are you not obligated to serve Him? Are you worshiping God because he is omnipotent and benevolent, or are you worshiping Him because He created you and the Universe?

That is all.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoldenWolf

• ItsaDollThang

• Setton

• Beastly Decimal

Top Posters In This Topic

Evil ? What is that ? :devil:

OK, let's all assume that God exists. (To clarify, God is the being who created the universe and life.) We'll leave all that other theological junk out of it, like the Holy Books, angels, the Devil, etc. We're talking about God, the Creator, not the religious image we hold of Him and definitely not his "son".

In religion, they try to make God seem like an all benevolent and merciful being, with little exception. But what if the Creator of out universe is a flat out prick, easily irked and ready to throw humans into Hell at a moments notice? What if he is a near omnipotent being with no divine plan at all - an immortal baby killing time by playing with sentient action figures? (I.E. us)

OK, so there is a God, and He is Evil (by the average human moral code). My question is...so what? What are YOU going to do? Are you going to worship Him or tell Him to go to Hell? And if you do tell him to go to Hell, what then? What purpose can your life hold?

If this God created our Universe but doesn't care about us (question to the religious ones), are you or are you not obligated to serve Him? Are you worshiping God because he is omnipotent and benevolent, or are you worshiping Him because He created you and the Universe?

That is all.

The biblical god evil, yes. The biblical god is moses, he is a b****** child who was discarded into a river by his mother, had royal power under the authority of the Pharaoh of egypt, was forsaken by him: "Let the name of Moses be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of Egypt. Let the name of Moses be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.", he was then banished by Ramses to the wilderness of shur: "Rameses: [banishing Moses to the desert] Here is your king's scepter, and here is your kingdom, with the scorpion, the cobra, and the lizard for subjects. Free them if you will. Leave the slaves to me."

Even Ramses in the ten commandments says: "Let him rave on, that men will know him mad."

He's a reject with an insatiable lust for power. Somebody who was rejected so many times he went insane and tried to take the law into own hand (the torah, the five books of moses).

When you hear about the word creator, think creator of the bible, not the universe, not the earth, not life. He is Satan and he is a liar.

-----

http://bible.cc/daniel/9-11.htm

King James Bible

Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.

He's acting like he is serving some god when in reality he is only serving himself, it's trickery.

Tell him to go to hell, it's like him being banished to the desert.

Edited by HavocWing

And if you do tell him to go to Hell, what then?

You can live life on your own terms.

What purpose can your life hold?

What do you want to do in life? Do it.

That is all.

If you are going to leave out the theology you have to leave out hell, omnipotence, even god as the creator. I would tell any tyrant to go to hell. But the spirit that moves through all things does not act like a man made god.

Well ofcourse if he created the universe and he doesn't care about us , you are not obligated to worship him , so you can worship anyone who cares about you , that's why there are other religions (Satanism , buddhism etc.).

It's about free-will , you are not forced to believe in god , so you can worship whoever you want.

Too many god's are just glorified human beings

I think *if* a god did exist, its concepts of good and evil would be completely alien to us, if anything it would be neither.

That is all.

The way ive always percieved God is an absolute Ahole, he will show no mercy and those that sh!t on him will find out. i dont believe the bible but i do feel as though i know God. i think that he created us but for every action is a reaction. you take over countries...eg england move to australia you get cancer because we dont belong, we had sex with an animal and thats how AIDS started... the way i see it you screw up then i guess you screwed up but its not so easy to be in his good books!

Oh who knows i mean i believe we could be aliens too! the never ending questions of life!

you take over countries...eg england move to australia you get cancer because we dont belong, we had sex with an animal and thats how AIDS started...

Cancer isn't limited to australia, and thats not how AIDS started.. :blink:

I suspect he meant the stronger sunlight in Australia compared to England means greater incidence of skin cancers for the fair skinned, but I'm not sure how it pertains to the thread subject matter....

What purpose? You can show to everyone you are better than God. That enough to have a glory life.

Or you can choose to ignore "God" and religion as a whole. Life can still be good without having to worry about being better then something/someone you don't believe in.

Edited by Ravek

If anyone convinced me God was evil, yes, I'd tell Him to go to Hell. Sure, I'd go there first but there's been a rebellion against Him before...

On the other hand, I don't believe God is evil so I'll continue to serve Him until proven wrong.

God can't be evil. If it created the universe and defined everything and was evil, then evil would be good and good would be evil.

Although I guess if god was really evil he might create good so the he could be evil. That's truly diabolical. In this case we are allowed to experience pleasure so that we can go to hell and be tortured knowing it will never be good again.

The whole concept is just silly.

I wouldn't say god was evil, I'd say he was more indifferent (or unaware of us).

Now some of the gods in religions are undoubtedly evil and do perform evil acts (and I don't believe the whole 'god gets a free pass to do evil because it's god' thing that some do).

Edited by shadowhive

You can anytime create your own religion by portray a kind of evil God. Yet out of human's own basic instinct. They somehow have the intelligence to decide whether to buy in into your religion or not. The fundamental difference between a red unicorn and a potential truth is that, people somehow can tell that a red unicorn isn't worth believing. That's no matter how you are going to the sell the existence of red unicorns, no one will believe, even though over 90% of humans beings are considered religious and are upholding the belief of a deity.

There have been times that I have believed that this was a possibility.

I've always thought about Schopenhauer's quote:

"This world, this scene of tormented and agonised beings, who can only continue to exist by devouring each other; in which every ravenous beast is the living grave of thousands of others, and its self-maintenance is a chain of painful deaths..."

When I think about the fact that the only way I can survive in this world is to kill and consume something that is alive it makes me sad, and makes me wonder about the mindset of the creator, if there is one...

I think of the thousands of living beings and organisims that have died in order that I may live... is this a loving design?

Wouldn't an energy transferece of some sort that didn't involve death have been more in tune with a loving God?

There is a lot of evil stuff going on in this world, torture, pain and violent deaths... yes, it's true that if you didn't have the bad you wouldn't recognize the good for what it is but does the bad have to be so bad?

Why create the possibility for such evil to be committed in the first place?

If you create the possibility for the evil to take place, then you have to accept the responsibility for allowing it to happen.

Gods created in our image can be evil, but the ultimate creator or creator is likely not the one we've created. The "God" of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam isn't really a being I can relate to. No offense intended. Most human made "Gods" don't really mean much to me. They're just archetypes, lesser beings who some of us tend to see as omnipotent. But those beings they're not what created us.

Any "God" who needs to be worshiped, praised and adored isn't what he or she presents himself to be, IMHO. Think Stargate's Ra and ask yourself "Why would a real "God" need people on bended knee?" The Gods of most religions are nothing but emotional vampires who have outright tantrums at the very idea that human beings might not want to offer up their adoration et all. That's junkie, evil overlord behavior and I would think any real being capable of creating a universe or three would shake it's head over that kind of thing.

I don't believe in hell or in any being who would create such a place. It's bunk. Sure there are beings out there who are more advanced than I. Who can create on a vast scale, but that doesn't make them my spiritual overlord. Believe what you want, but that's just not the kind of creator that I can even relate to.

Edited by ItsaDollThang

Gods created in our image can be evil, but the ultimate creator or creator is likely not the one we've created. The "God" of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam isn't really a being I can relate to. No offense intended. Most human made "Gods" don't really mean much to me. They're just archetypes, lesser beings who some of us tend to see as omnipotent. But those beings they're not what created us.

Any "God" who needs to be worshiped, praised and adored isn't what he or she presents himself to be, IMHO. Think Stargate's Ra and ask yourself "Why would a real "God" need people on bended knee?" The Gods of most religions are nothing but emotional vampires who have outright tantrums at the very idea that human beings might not want to offer up their adoration et all. That's junkie, evil overlord behavior and I would think any real being capable of creating a universe or three would shake it's head over that kind of thing.

I don't believe in hell or in any being who would create such a place. It's bunk. Sure there are beings out there who are more advanced than I. Who can create on a vast scale, but that doesn't make them my spiritual overlord. Believe what you want, but that's just not the kind of creator that I can even relate to.

Chances are, a supernatural being that "created" everything, also created evil. With that in mind, why would any being feel the absolute need to create evil, if it wasn't evil itself?

Yea didnt come out quite right! im just saying we cause our own pain..nobody actually knows where it started but yes its one way it was started as well as hunting. Clearly cancer isnt limited to Australia i was trying to say we have a high cancer rate because of the white population dont belong...i dont think God created the diseases we die of we kill ourselves...

another WE made GUNs not him so we kill not him. JESUS! i cant make my point on the computer!!

Chances are, a supernatural being that "created" everything, also created evil. With that in mind, why would any being feel the absolute need to create evil, if it wasn't evil itself?

Who says "God" ultimately created evil? We humans clearly have the ability to create ourselves on a much smaller scale. Maybe we created evil and have only ourselves to blame for it's existence. Mind you I tend to reserve that term for really evil things like serial killers, and mass murderers like Hitler. A natural disaster isn't evil. It's terrifying, unfortunate and sad, but it's just the planet going about it's business.

Humans can't seemingly even live on the planet they were given without mucking it up, constantly arguing themselves into wars, and the like. How many years have we been on this planet? All this amazing tech but have we really grown up all that much? I sometimes wonder.

Maybe we're supposed to learn something from our evil acts. Maybe that is the whole point of it's existence. Maybe we're supposed to leave it behind at some point and be better than we are. If you don't know what evil is than how can you deny it? Stop it? Maybe ultimate good can't exist without ultimate evil to show us the wrong way?

Who says "God" ultimately created evil? We humans clearly have the ability to create ourselves on a much smaller scale. Maybe we created evil and have only ourselves to blame for it's existence. Mind you I tend to reserve that term for really evil things like serial killers, and mass murderers like Hitler. A natural disaster isn't evil. It's terrifying, unfortunate and sad, but it's just the planet going about it's business.

Humans can't seemingly even live on the planet they were given without mucking it up, constantly arguing themselves into wars, and the like. How many years have we been on this planet? All this amazing tech but have we really grown up all that much? I sometimes wonder.

Maybe we're supposed to learn something from our evil acts. Maybe that is the whole point of it's existence. Maybe we're supposed to leave it behind at some point and be better than we are. If you don't know what evil is than how can you deny it? Stop it? Maybe ultimate good can't exist without ultimate evil to show us the wrong way?

According to the calculations of this site (and anyone else who wants to take the time to add up all killings), http://www.drunkwithblood.com, the biblical god is responsible for over 24 million deaths (not to mention the end of the world that is stated in the bible), that is just for biblical stats, not counting the millions more that aren't in biblical history. I don't understand how people can call someone "good" just because they call themselves holy.

Theses people aren't called god, for the most part they are called the most evil people to have ever lived.

http://thepirata.com/top-mass-murderers-in-history/

Edited by HavocWing

Beautifully said, your post has given me a lot to think about. You seem so advanced in your thinking ^_^

I've asked myself the same questions (why would God need our praise?) and, no matter which way I slice it, I cannot find any justifiable reason, and the religious preachers don't seem to have any viable answers...

Not to say that higher power doesn't exist, but I don't think anything on earth can explain it yet. Probably not in our lifetime, even.

Beautifully said, your post has given me a lot to think about. You seem so advanced in your thinking ^_^

I've asked myself the same questions (why would God need our praise?) and, no matter which way I slice it, I cannot find any justifiable reason, and the religious preachers don't seem to have any viable answers...

Not to say that higher power doesn't exist, but I don't think anything on earth can explain it yet. Probably not in our lifetime, even.

The only idea I've got for it (based on Terry Pratchett - a very reliable source, I'm sure we all agree :) ), is that faith is an energy that gives Gods their power. The fewer believers they have, the weaker they are so they tend to tell their followers to convert as many people as they can.