Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wow! Way more Atheist then I thought

Magicjax

Ok, I'm not endorsing another site here. But I started a google plus account a few of weeks before it's official launch (From an invite). Now it's officially launched and I created an Atheist circle (For those not familiar it means I started a group that are all Atheist).

I started one for my other interests too of course. Such as one for my fellow magician friends and so forth.

Here's what amazes me. Keep in mind I've only had my account there for a few weeks. I have 37 members in my magicians circle. But in my Atheist circle there are now 361 members in it. It's like they are really coming together there and spreading the word with each other on who is an Atheist and who isn't.

It's actually a good thing. Yes, being an Atheist is a minority right now. But it seems there are so many more today. I remember when I was a kid not very many would admit it even if they where. Today it seems more socially acceptable. And in a way what's happening over there at G+ is evidence of that. I usually don't talk about my religious views unless asked or in a place such as this section of this forum where it's intended to be discussed. But I admit I'm enjoying over there being able to talk to so many others who are Atheist too. Makes me feel less a minority on this subject and know I'm not alone in it (I knew I wasn't but talking to so many who feel the same way is great).

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• libstaK

• joshy

• Missile Punch

• Mentalcase

You are correct in your statements.

I've also noticed the "uprising". Perhaps people have started to consider science as a real entity, instead of the outright lies the bible has taught us!

More people are becoming aware of the lies and the abuse those lies have played.

I'm in a Facebook group that includes over 2000 atheist members.

Can't say that they are universally scientific or necessarily intelligent, however. For that, I'm usually more rewarded with skeptic or scientific groups.

I'm not surprised. Especially on a global society. I guess this might be strange for Americans who grew up in highly religious areas, but elsewhere in the world levels of religiosity are so much lower. In the area I grew up in it was actually a minority if you were religious. If you attended scripture in High School your friends would insult you and pick on you (I decided to visit scripture once, and was soundly abused for it). I think this is a vastly different society than one in which another member several years ago shared that when they deconverted from Christianity his friends (now I'm assuming ex-friends, unless he's forgiven them and they've let go of prejudice) soundly bashed him in the playground for his no longer believing.

There are many atheists in the world, most of them are just like regular people. There's nothing that separates a religious person from an atheist except for a lack of belief. You can't spot an atheist by horns growing from their head or anything like that. You've probably walked past an atheist or ten every day when you go out, but you just walked past them and thought nothing more of it :yes:

~ Regards, PA

Education on all subjects are just a small click or two away. It is easier to find the flaws in religion and their holy books than it is in science sure there are fringe scientists working to refute commonly held theories, but nothing much comes of it. However with religion in their books its very easy to point to the double standards, the stuff that is just silly, and what have you that is the main problem with religion.

Education on all subjects are just a small click or two away. It is easier to find the flaws in religion and their holy books than it is in science sure there are fringe scientists working to refute commonly held theories, but nothing much comes of it. However with religion in their books its very easy to point to the double standards, the stuff that is just silly, and what have you that is the main problem with religion.

:blink: Heard about the latest CERN goings on ? :blink:

yeah neutrinos supposedly going faster than light blah blah blah waiting for confirmation from other people

maybe i should have added "usually" to the area you made bold? my point still stands considering science isnt afraid of changing their books and adding new facts... you know... like how religious folks and their books are basically unchanged except for translation errors

It interests me how important the notion of "atheism" v "believer" is to some people. In Aust we have an Atheist Prime Minister at the moment, there was some noise from the opposition and media about this - but amusingly it all seemed to blow over and dissappear due to lack of public interest :w00t: .

Our Finance minister Penny Wong is publically gay and she and her partner have recently had the happy addition of a baby - in this instance, no one that I know religious or otherwise even blinked and the media stories were appropriately congratulatory as were all the salutations from both sides of parliament.

I mention this because I have to say I enjoy the common sense I see in people of not making assumptions of others based on their beliefs and chosen lifestyles which harm no one and have no conceivable impact on the intellect, moral fibre or capacity for social integration of the holders of the views.

When it comes to what we think of those that are different it is really a case of "much ado about nothing" in most instances IMO.

looks like Australia is a much more tolerant society than the US sadly. can i come live with you libstaK? :-p

:w00t: We don't call ourselves the lucky country for no reason ;)

It interests me how important the notion of "atheism" v "believer" is to some people.

This has always interested me too. I'm Australian also, and it used to confuse me when people I discuss with on the internet would rail against being preached too all the time and complain about being a minority.

In Australia (my part of it anyway) we pretty much don't give any prior thought to someone's religious stance, and if the topic ever comes up we tend to assume in the direction of atheist, but don't decide for sure until they say so or otherwise, and usually we're right. "Otherwise" isn't assumed to be Christian either, though that's often the case.

You might occasionally see a religious stand somewhere, usually at a university or something, but typically they won't start a conversation with you unless you deliberately approach them.

I always just sort of assumed this was the case with America also, because most movies I've seen from there seem to treat religious people as lunatics, and sometimes deranged villains. American TV shows I've seen seem to have a token religious person to give a religious opinion on events, but the main caste will usually be atheists, and often as the show progresses the religious person loses their faith and it's implied they've come to reason...

Edited by Childaeus

:w00t: We don't call ourselves the lucky country for no reason ;)

I thought it was called the lucky country because if you lived there you'd be lucky to survive all the poisonous and deadly animals/insects/sharks/crocs/etc

I thought it was called the lucky country because if you lived there you'd be lucky to survive all the poisonous and deadly animals/insects/sharks/crocs/etc

Well, see thats why we are so easy going with each other, we've got better things to worry about than what anyone happens to believe :D

Well, see thats why we are so easy going with each other, we've got better things to worry about than what anyone happens to believe :D

This is awesome. Too bad the rest of the world can't be like that.

This is awesome. Too bad the rest of the world can't be like that.

Ok I'm gonna fess up, it is no Utopia but I do think having a history of colonisation that only traverses a couple of hundred years - and our first settlers being convicts deported from England with nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a fresh start - that same spirit surely lived in a goodly portion of our mostly "immigrant" population ("mostly" being because our revered Aboriginal natives were here for aprox 40,000 years before us). A young country has fewer hangups, but when you mesh people from all over the world there will be differences in culture and understanding to overcome - well worth the effort in the long run - but not everyone always agrees with that *shrugs shoulders* one the things we need to overcome just like the rest of the world ;) .

Ok I'm gonna fess up, it is no Utopia but I do think having a history of colonisation that only traverses a couple of hundred years - and our first settlers being convicts deported from England with nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a fresh start - that same spirit surely lived in a goodly portion of our mostly "immigrant" population ("mostly" being because our revered Aboriginal natives were here for aprox 40,000 years before us). A young country has fewer hangups, but when you mesh people from all over the world there will be differences in culture and understanding to overcome - well worth the effort in the long run - but not everyone always agrees with that *shrugs shoulders* one the things we need to overcome just like the rest of the world ;) .

Yeah nothing is perfect but that seems like a step in the right direction if you ask me. Very admirable. Keep setting an example for the rest of the world! Atheism, Spirituality, to each his own!

you guys have some of the best socialized medicine in the world. nuff said!

Australia = Awesome

Canada is similar, at least where I live. Nobody cares what a person believes unless you try and shove it in their face.

Ok, I'm not endorsing another site here. But I started a google plus account a few of weeks before it's official launch (From an invite). Now it's officially launched and I created an Atheist circle (For those not familiar it means I started a group that are all Atheist).

I started one for my other interests too of course. Such as one for my fellow magician friends and so forth.

Here's what amazes me. Keep in mind I've only had my account there for a few weeks. I have 37 members in my magicians circle. But in my Atheist circle there are now 361 members in it. It's like they are really coming together there and spreading the word with each other on who is an Atheist and who isn't.

It's actually a good thing. Yes, being an Atheist is a minority right now. But it seems there are so many more today. I remember when I was a kid not very many would admit it even if they where. Today it seems more socially acceptable. And in a way what's happening over there at G+ is evidence of that. I usually don't talk about my religious views unless asked or in a place such as this section of this forum where it's intended to be discussed. But I admit I'm enjoying over there being able to talk to so many others who are Atheist too. Makes me feel less a minority on this subject and know I'm not alone in it (I knew I wasn't but talking to so many who feel the same way is great).

you are far from a minority...........just because i understand the big band theory.........and know how it all started.........doesn't delete my parents influences on me with religeon...........i'm just smart enough to make up my own mind..................