Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists developing "stay-sober pill"

Still Waters

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

• blueandi

• undertheflow

Just a thought, but alcoholics drink to get drunk, right? Not because they like the taste.

So I'm thinking, give it to alcoholics, they stop getting drunk and therefore stop drinking because there's no point. and they also get to live sober and sort out the thing that made them turn to drink in the first place.

Of course then many will just move on to another addiction...... :rolleyes:

They have already been doing this, but with a twist. A pill that makes an alcoholic extremely sick when they drink alcohol. Its brand name is Antabuse, but there are other similar pills.

Crazy world, huh?

Edited by Jerry Only

They have already been doing this, but with a twist. A pill that makes an alcoholic extremely sick when they drink alcohol. Its brand name is Antabuse, but there are other similar pills.

Crazy world, huh?

Yeah I've heard of that one, but as I understand it, the main problem is they just carry on drinking and put up with the vomiting.

This latest pill would remove the motivation for using alcohol, as it would have no effect.

Definitely a crazy world, but hey, it makes for an interesting one!

:lol:

Yeah a hangover pill would make a lot more sense!

They have those already too.

Might as well be drinking low-alcoholic beer like Sharps or Odouls. I think it's a waste of time and money developing this pill.

Just a thought, but alcoholics drink to get drunk, right? Not because they like the taste.

So I'm thinking, give it to alcoholics, they stop getting drunk and therefore stop drinking because there's no point. and they also get to live sober and sort out the thing that made them turn to drink in the first place.

Of course then many will just move on to another addiction...... :rolleyes:

Actually no everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. I do enjoy my poison, but if I have to put poison in my body, it has to be 12 years old unblended poison of the Scottish persuasion. And I have only one because I enjoy the taste.

Edited by Paracelse

Yeah I've heard of that one, but as I understand it, the main problem is they just carry on drinking and put up with the vomiting.

This latest pill would remove the motivation for using alcohol, as it would have no effect.

Definitely a crazy world, but hey, it makes for an interesting one!

:lol:

If you take antabuse you would not want to risk drinking.If a person does drink after taking the pill there is a small chance that it can actually kill you.Also the effects of it are truly horrendous.Antabuse also stays in your system for up to 2 weeks even after taking just one tablet so there is no taking 1 pill then thinking a day later you can have a drink.Even things like aftershave,deodorants,some foods cooked with wine,muscle rubs with alcohol etc.. can give you a reaction whilst using the tablet.It is only used in the UK as a last resort but i think the US hand it out a heck of a lot more.

Edited by BrianPotter

One thing that this pill would be good for, is destination drivers.

Saving them money, that would have been blown on expensive booze, can now be blown on fuel.

Edited by JohnnyBravo

yeah that could seriously save alot of lives dui and agressive drinkers alike

Actually no everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. I do enjoy my poison, but if I have to put poison in my body, it has to be 12 years old unblended poison of the Scottish persuasion. And I have only one because I enjoy the taste.

I wasn't insinuating that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, just that alcoholics don't use alcohol for the taste, but the affects. My poison is more transatlantic, being the philistine that I am, :rofl:

If you take antabuse you would not want to risk drinking.If a person does drink after taking the pill there is a small chance that it can actually kill you.Also the effects of it are truly horrendous.Antabuse also stays in your system for up to 2 weeks even after taking just one tablet so there is no taking 1 pill then thinking a day later you can have a drink.Even things like aftershave,deodorants,some foods cooked with wine,muscle rubs with alcohol etc.. can give you a reaction whilst using the tablet.It is only used in the UK as a last resort but i think the US hand it out a heck of a lot more.

Thanks for the info, I only have anecdotal references I'm afraid. I still think this new pill would work on some to help with alcoholism, and perhaps gentler than Antabuse, judging by what you have written. As for drink driving what would be your defence for giving a positive breath and/or blood test? I took a pill? I wouldn't like to try it.

What would be the point then. You are to hyper heres a pill, can't sleep heres a pill, have a headace heres a pill. Now this is just getting out of hand. On the one and only good side would be for your kids if they are going to a party and underaged. but still thoese were the best years.

I wasn't insinuating that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, just that alcoholics don't use alcohol for the taste, but the affects. My poison is more transatlantic, being the philistine that I am, :rofl:

Thanks for the info, I only have anecdotal references I'm afraid. I still think this new pill would work on some to help with alcoholism, and perhaps gentler than Antabuse, judging by what you have written. As for drink driving what would be your defence for giving a positive breath and/or blood test? I took a pill? I wouldn't like to try it.

Thats ok...i think the US has a system with Disulfiram(antabuse) where if you are caught under the influence a number of times,you are made to go take the pill or risk doing time behind bars.Some say it is against there human rights though.I suppose it may work in some cases but when you are physically addicted to alcohol you go beyond the phase of drinking to get drunk...you drink to function and go about your daily chores(just like heroin,crack etc..)Some alcoholics drink a litre of spirits when they wake up just to be able to get out of bed.

I wouldnt like to risk the wrath of the police for DUI whilst taking a tab to stay sober...not with our traffic police anyhow...

I can see pubs and clubs spiking their drinks with this stuff to make the punters feel the need to buy more and more making them alot of money in the long run