Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beached whale found 800 metres ashore

Biff Wellington

Marine experts have been left baffled after a rare whale was found over 800 metres from the shore in the Humber Estuary, Skeffling, East Yorkshire.

The 33ft mammal is thought to have died after getting caught in shallow waters – rolling onto its own blowhole before getting swept inland by the tide. Experts are “95 percent sure” the whale is a female from the rare Sei species – only three of which have been found stranded on the British coast in the last twenty years.

Source

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfpower

• Space Commander Travis

• Biff Wellington

• BaneSilvermoon

There isn't too much of a mystery as to how this whale ended up 800ft inland. There are things called "tides"...

The Yorkshire Wildlife Trust has since carried out a post-mortem examination on the mammal with the British Zoological Society. Experts who examined the animal said they are 95 per cent certain it is a female Sei whale and say it could simply have been looking for food when the tide turned.

The trust's Kirsten Smith said: 'With the high tide the whale probably got carried up on to the salt marsh, got pushed further in shore and then got stuck when the tide went out.

'The area where the whale was found is salt marsh, which is still connected to the sea.

'The salt marsh is one of several components of the Humber Estuary, and is further in than the mud flats and sand components.

'Sometimes whales come into the shallow water looking for food and get stuck.

'It can be illness or confusion in individual animals, but for it to happen twice in the area, and with reports of another whale nearby now, that could be more than just coincidence.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043105/How-did-Sei-whale-beached-middle-field-East-Yorkshire.html#ixzz1ZRcvvKB4

Why would god kill an innocent creature though?

...It is interesting though!!

There isn't too much of a mystery as to how this whale ended up 800ft inland. There are things called "tides"...

And this is potentially horrible journalism. For one the "baffled" experts seem to know exactly what happened. Then there's this...

“It is sad. It was in shallow water of about 4ft to 5.25ft, making contact with the bottom,” said Andy Gibson, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. “This was about 800m offshore. When it gets in that situation it rolls onto its side and it can cover its blowhole.”

The guys being specific as to the exact depth of the water it drowned in. He doesn't seem very baffled to me. And he used the word "off-shore", not "ashore" as the article title stated. One means at sea, one means inland... very different words. I'm also seeing locals saying it drowned 800m FROM shore and they moved it from the water onto land (where we see it in the pictures) for forensic testing, though the article does seem to suggest the corpse was rolled further inland by the tide. I'm not sure how much I trust a news story with multiple obvious errors in it though. And I'm curious how many (few... any?) places in the world actually have flat enough land that the tide could come in 800m.

Earlier this month a fin whale washed up dead near Spurn Point, North East Lincolnshire after getting stranded at Immingham.

The Journalist also doesn't seem to know that Spurn Point is in Yorkshire, not Lincolnshire.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

Did the whale have any strange, surgical like incisions?

Had all of it's blood been drained from it's body?

Could be a whale mutilation!

First our cattle, now our whales!

Damn dirty aliens!!!

whales have been doing this for years after all thats how we all ended up here isnt it :)

NSW National Parks remain totally baffled on finding whale bones on top of Mt Peter a few miles from here. But I'm pretty sure I have the answer. I was conducting an oral history interview with an old bloke and he told me a funny story. He said he and his fishing buddy had found a whale washed up at Nelson's Bay. They decided to winch it onto a boat trailer and dump it up on Mt.Peter a few miles inland "so the ants would clean the bones". I could barely hold back laughing when he remarked "we never went back and I sometimes wonder what became of it" ^_^

800 METERS you imbecile. Not 800 feet. Learn to read before making yourself look like a moron.

Half a mile inland? Did it stop drop and roll the whole way there?

"***** 'ell, he must have been going at some speed."

Maybe he was seeking new lands to discover? Decided to be like the dolphins, come ashore and grow feet instead of flipper. Sad, he didn't think it trough

Maybe he was seeking new lands to discover? Decided to be like the dolphins, come ashore and grow feet instead of flipper. Sad, he didn't think it trough

Maybe his children will learn from his mistakes.

800 METERS you imbecile. Not 800 feet. Learn to read before making yourself look like a moron.

Always with the aggressive useless posts. And in reality it doesn't even matter if he got the feet and meters mixed up since the journalist who wrote the article got his information from, and quoted, a guy who said the whale drowned 800m OUT TO SEA. At that point it doesn't make much difference whether the whale was 800ft out in the ocean or 800m out in the ocean when it drowned. The one exception being if someone is actually studying the causes of whale drownings in the area.

Maybe Scotty had a transporter malfunction. Those Klingon ships...not too reliable after all. ^_^

It's not a reliability problem. It's the confusing labels on the control panel. Or... scotch.

This sounds tabloid-esque... Has any legitimate scientist or research body confirmed this?

The Sei whale is a baleen whale, which typically do not beach in the manner of the toothed whales, frequently in groups. It was likely a sick or dying animal, it is either beach, or drown, for marine mammals on their last reserves.

Maybe his children will learn from his mistakes.

Only time will tell!!