Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Us Shielded Saudi's After Sept 11 Links

Guest Lottie

Source:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Bob Graham, intelligence committee chairman in the run-up to the Iraq war, said on Sunday the Bush administration had "taken every step" to shield Saudi Arabia from links to the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Florida Democrat in 2002 helped launch a joint inquiry with the House Intelligence Committee that produced a report on intelligence failures related to the Sept. 11 attacks.

He told NBC's "Meet the Press" that his new book, "Intelligence Matters," makes the case on "the extent to which Saudi Arabia was a key part of making 9/11 happen."

"Yet this administration has taken every step to obfuscate, avoid and cover up Saudi Arabia's actions," he added.

Saudi officials have repeatedly denied ties to the Sept. 11 hijackers, and publicized their efforts to combat al Qaeda.

President Bush's presidential re-election campaign called the former Senate Intelligence Committee chairman's allegations baseless.

Excerpts from Graham's book, which goes on sale on Tuesday, showed that at least two of the hijackers had support from Omar al-Bayoumi, whom the senator called a Saudi government spy and said was a "ghost employee" of a Saudi contracting firm, Erean. The owner of the firm, Graham said, was thought to be a supporter of Osama bin Laden.

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry called for an immediate investigation into Graham's allegations.

"If the White House and the FBI did in fact block an investigation into the ties between the Saudi government and the 9/11 hijackers, then this would be a massive abuse of power," Kerry said in a statement.

The Bush campaign dismissed the issue.

"John Kerry is flailing about making baseless attacks founded on the assertions of a failed presidential candidate," Bush campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

Graham dropped out of the Democratic presidential race in October 2003.

The U.S.-Saudi alliance has been strained since the devastating Sept. 11, 2001, hijack attacks by Saudi-born Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda group. Most of the hijackers were Saudis.

U.S. officials say efforts by the oil-rich kingdom on fighting al Qaeda have increased dramatically.

Source

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• bathory

• snuffypuffer

• Velikovsky

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised, they get oil from it.

Saudi officials have repeatedly denied ties to the Sept. 11 hijackers, and publicized their efforts to combat al Qaeda.

Not surprised by this either, considering that Bush seems to be bombing anything he links with the goup, best to make sure to distance yourself as much as possible.

It drives me nuts to think how the bush campaign has allowed Saudi Arabia to walk away unscathed when the connections to the actual terrorists of 9/11 hit so much closer to saudi arabia than to Iraq.

I think that I personally would have gone after Saudi first...of course the bush family has recieved hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts from the saudi royal familiy...so you can make up your own mind there...

It drives me nuts to think how the bush campaign has allowed Saudi Arabia to walk away unscathed when the connections to the actual terrorists of 9/11 hit so much closer to saudi arabia than to Iraq.

I think that I personally would have gone after Saudi first...of course the bush family has recieved hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts from the saudi royal familiy...so you can make up your own mind there...

256284[/snapback]

Actually, going after Saudi Arabia first could really hurt the USs economy, considering they have lots of money invested in the US. On one hand I dont agree with what they did regarding the situation... but on the other I can understand why they did it.

Actually, going after Saudi Arabia first could really hurt the USs economy, considering they have lots of money invested in the US. On one hand I dont agree with what they did regarding the situation... but on the other I can understand why they did it.

Kinda makes the whole war on terror redundant though doesn't it, blasting the wasps one at a time, instead going after the nest.

1) the 9/11 report cleared the Administration of these claims, this sounds like a desperate smear from the democrats to me

2) yes Saudi Arabia is a problem, however they have the abiulity to easily cripple the worlds economy, even going to war would do the same.

3) makes you wonder, did the US free/take Iraq as a precursor to getting rid of the Saudis?

His claims are not in the 9/11 commisions findings, it just seems like a political move to me

well if it isn't just democrats vs republican, i guess the whole swiftboat case has nothing to do with democrats vs republican, nor does Farenheit 9/11 and Moveon.org

Edited by bathory

rolleyes.gif

i know, in this case its looks like its about money, with Kerry latching on to a soundbite:)

I ask, why aren't these claims in the 9/11 commitees report? HMMMM? answer that please

Have you actually seen Farenheit 9/11? How come it's been revealed that some of the swiftboat vets were lying? Do you have any thoughts that are actually your own?

Have you actually seen Farenheit 9/11? How come it's been revealed that some of the swiftboat vets were lying? Do you have any thoughts that are actually your own?

1) yes

2) that is irrelevant

both are a case of political bull**** used to hurt the otherside

3) obviously, because i'm not agreeing with you

you have to be kidding me, i disagree with you and i'm being a sheep? bahahah, moron, i disagree with you because i'm suspicious of this guys motives, he comes out of the blue and contradicts the 9/11 report, right after the republican convention...that doesn't seem suspicious to you?

oh right, you are thinking for yourself while i'm here sitting in my underpants swinging a cat around by its tail. Now **** and get a clue thanks, i'm simply saying its suspect.

Check Mate MF

Because its written by government lackies.

everyone has an agenda, the 9/11 commision had input by both republicans and democrats and because of this i would say it is a hell of allot more bipartisan than what this guy is saying, i also might note that this very same **** was the Intelligence Commitee chairman in the leadup to the Iraq war, nice job you guys did screening the intelligence that was given to you..

This guy has 3 big motivations for saying what he is saying

1) Money, he needs to sell a book

2) Damage the Republican campaign

3) because its the truth

1) makes sense

2) the timing screams this, and he can capitalise on the controversy and sell a few more books

3) why the **** didn't he say something sooner? why so close to the election, just after the god damn convention?

Sorry, i just get really p***ed off when someone says i'm not thinking for myself, everything here is 100% made in Bathory

everyone has an agenda, the 9/11 commision had input by both republicans and democrats and because of this i would say it is a hell of allot more bipartisan than what this guy is saying, i also might note that this very same **** was the Intelligence Commitee chairman in the leadup to the Iraq war, nice job you guys did screening the intelligence that was given to you..

I have little doubt that it would have gone before the white house to vet out confidential information first. I don't trust any President who didn't even win his own election, to not vet out something like this. I frankly their a committe for the government, they'll of course be in favour of it. Plus the info they based the report on may have been faulty.

Given the almost religious status the President has in America, and to justify America's wars and the death's of American soldiers in the aftermath to its people, I don't trust anything about it not to have some level of bias.

have little doubt that it would have gone before the white house to vet out confidential information first. I don't trust any President who didn't even win his own election, to not vet out something like this.

evidence for all counts thanks

*including stealing the election*

One of the problems in attacking the Saudi's is we'd have to fight American troops. The Saudi's hire ex-military for defense. It's good money to. If I didn't have morals I know where I'd be

evidence for all counts thanks

*including stealing the election*

Oh please, everyone knows Gore got the most votes. And as for evidence, I'm sure the White House has it pacts secretly away in a drawer. Frankly anyone's willingness to read a government report about government actions, and not think that it might be bias or influenced, even in the slightest, is being rather naive.