Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fermi atom smasher powereddown...for good

questionmark

(Reuters) - The powering down of Fermilab's Tevatron particle accelerator on Friday marked the end of a quarter-century of U.S. dominance in high-energy particle physics.

The Tevatron, which accelerates and collides protons and antiprotons in a four-mile-long underground ring, has been replaced by the Large Hadron Collider under the French-Swiss border, which began operating in March 2010. arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• StarMountainKid

• Paracelse

• d e v i c e

$36 million dollars is probably less than the U.S. government has spent on over priced toilet seats, wrenches and nuts and bolts in the last year.

$36 million dollars is probably less than the U.S. government has spent on over priced toilet seats, wrenches and nuts and bolts in the last year.

There where nobody wants to pay taxes even 36 million is too much,

There where nobody wants to pay taxes even 36 million is too much,

Army could stop paying contractors to do their work... like blackwater

I dunno about all this. Let me tell you - none of it will benefit mankind as a whole. It wont cause world peace. Atoms, pfft.

The sole purpose of these expensive facilities is to prove the reality of human theoretical deductions. Aren't humans smart enough to do it in a less expensive way?

I dunno about all this. Let me tell you - none of it will benefit mankind as a whole. It wont cause world peace. Atoms, pfft.

Neither will your tv set, or your computer, or your cell phone. At least, not directly.

For that matter, no one at the time knew what the applications of electricity, or the discovery of radio waves.

Now, with that said, I'm not that bothered with Fermi closing. The work being done there is now being done at the LHC, it's served it's purpose, and did wonderful at it.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the closing of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, which provided a good deal of medical resources that helped in the identification of diseases.