Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hank Williams Jr. in hot water

Persia

I heard the analogy - and it was quite clear that it was apparently an innocent analogy about two bitter enemies getting together for "fun". To be honest, I have used that same analogy from time to time.

Then I heard the backstory (paragraph II of Aquitus' post) - and Jr's venom became clear to see. He went BEYOND the analogy to actually equating Obama to Hitler. WAY bad move...

Yeah - I'd can him, too.

Jr's contract for the use of his theme-song is worth about $100,000 or more per year - so this will hurt rather badly.

And regarding the "free speech" argument - this does not extend to employee rights. If I work for McDonalds and go on the air to say that I think that McD's sucks, I can expect to be canned.

Hank didn't go on air and say, "ESPN SUCKS!".

Big difference in what he said and what can get you canned for degrading your employer. His comment did not bash his employer. His employer just didn't agree with what he said about somebody else when it was none of their business.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• SilverCougar

• acidhead

• Sir Wearer of Hats

No, he didn't say that ESPN sucked - he was still a representative of ESPN, though. His actions (comments) reflected poorly upon ESPN, so they told him to take a hike. He still has the legal right to say what he wants - just not as a representative of ESPN.

The inverse also works - had he done or said something that was OMG wonderful, he would have reflected GOOD light upon ESPN - and they would have applauded his act/commentary.

If you are an anonymous worker, employers don't really care what you say. However, when you are easily identifiable as an employee, your actions and words DO reflect on that employer.

I keep hearing this joke about Herman Cain, I'm not sure if I follow it, can somebody help:

9-9-Nein! The Herman Cain Mutiny

Nein, nein, nein

Nein! Nein! Nein!

I think somebone at the Chicago Tribune or National Review needs to be fired :hmm:

I think its frikkin hilarious that this is huge news... when through most of Dubbya's presidency he was called and compared to Hitler and it really didnt get a mention in the main stream...

Democrats.com Article

MoveOn.org

More

Bush reminded the left of non-Nazi villains as well. He was depicted as Attila the Hun, serial killer Ted Bundy, Mussolini, Ahab, Hannibal Lecter, the Anti-Christ and Frankenstein's monster (on the cover of the British edition of book by New York Times columnist Paul Krugman).

Life is full of double standards...

I keep hearing this joke about Herman Cain, I'm not sure if I follow it, can somebody help:

9-9-Nein! The Herman Cain Mutiny

Nein, nein, nein

Nein! Nein! Nein!

I think somebone at the Chicago Tribune or National Review needs to be fired :hmm:

Even I think that pun and play on words is a bit over the top...

And I don't even agree with the plan or like Cain!