Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where 1st Interstellar Starship Should Visit

Persia

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• DONTEATUS

• Erikl

• Khaleid

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Epsilon Eridani, mentioned in the article, might not be the best choice within 15 light years. It's probably less than a billion years old, so is unlikely to have any but the most primitive life, and probably not even that. Tau Ceti is old enough to have evolved advanced life. It has a distant debris disk, so might well have planets, too. If the 15 light year limit could be extended a little, 82 Eridani, about 21 light years distant, is known to have at least three planets, and is somewhat older than our Sun. It may be the best prospect within ~ 25 light years, based on our current, very limited knowledge. Of course any star might have been colonized from elsewhere, rendering the age of a star system less significant.

Tau Ceti is old enough to have evolved advanced life.

What!? Didn't you play System Shock 2? You know what will happen! :D

I think Alpha Centauri would still be a good bet. Not everyday one gets to jump in on a triple star system for a birds eye view. I would love to see images. Wont get there in my day I would suspect unfortunately.

I think Alpha Centauri would still be a good bet. Not everyday one gets to jump in on a triple star system for a birds eye view. I would love to see images. Wont get there in my day I would suspect unfortunately.

I agree, it should be 1st - lets know our neighbourhood before venturing into the nether regions - it's not just about the search for life and even if it were, it would hardly be the 1st time we were wrong in our assumptions of other planets - we don't actually know if we are right or wrong about other solar systems yet - lets find out the quick and easy way rather than wait for a 30 year round trip of info to reach us.

I agree, it should be 1st - lets know our neighbourhood before venturing into the nether regions - it's not just about the search for life and even if it were, it would hardly be the 1st time we were wrong in our assumptions of other planets - we don't actually know if we are right or wrong about other solar systems yet - lets find out the quick and easy way rather than wait for a 30 year round trip of info to reach us.

:tu: Couldn't agree more. Assuming we could attain 10% of light speed, it would be more than a worthwhile endeavor.

To be honest we still need to work on our solar system. We have no ability to to travel from the Earth to even Mars so the the question isnt being honest with what our real capabilities are unless something has been hidden from us all. We have a solar system loaded with stuff and we are pretty much still stuck on earth. I think Darpa should have focused on the problem facing us now and thats lack of a engine to take us to our neighboring planets. Chemical rockets dont cut it except for probes. Were not ready as a species yet for interstellar travel. Lets focus on our own solar system and the challenges it presents. Lets figure out how we can go to Mars,Jupiter and all the other places here in our solar system 1st.

Why not travelling at light speed itself?

Send nano factories through a relativistic space canon with just enough speed so they'll slow down at the target solar system.

Send many of them and some would fall on a planet or an asteroid. Then program them to start building reception stations to receive further orders from earth. Eventually build a robot that would be able to work there and do whatever we need.

If it's 100 years from now, it's doable. We already have the basics for this science.

It's much simpler and probably less expensive than building a million ton space ship that 99% of it's mass would be to accelerate it to 10% of the speed of light, needs to tackle the issues of interstellar dust at those speeds, and needs to be reliable for more than a century without any maintenance.

Why not travelling at light speed itself?

Send nano factories through a relativistic space canon with just enough speed so they'll slow down at the target solar system.

Send many of them and some would fall on a planet or an asteroid. Then program them to start building reception stations to receive further orders from earth. Eventually build a robot that would be able to work there and do whatever we need.

If it's 100 years from now, it's doable. We already have the basics for this science.

It's much simpler and probably less expensive than building a million ton space ship that 99% of it's mass would be to accelerate it to 10% of the speed of light, needs to tackle the issues of interstellar dust at those speeds, and needs to be reliable for more than a century without any maintenance.

Great idea, unless our nanos arrive to find a civilisation in place and immediately begin dismantling it in order to build a space dock. That might land us in a bit of trouble.

But I imagine a little pre-emptive spectography might allow us to see if a target system was already inhabited. Otherwise, sure intergalactic war!!!

It's other star systems, or planetary systems, not solar systems. Solar System is the name of our system just as Sun is the name of our star. There is only one.

I was but a youngster when we landed on the moon. And, I thought how far into the stars will we be when I am an a man ...

Great idea, unless our nanos arrive to find a civilisation in place and immediately begin dismantling it in order to build a space dock. That might land us in a bit of trouble.

But I imagine a little pre-emptive spectography might allow us to see if a target system was already inhabited. Otherwise, sure intergalactic war!!!

What's that perceived nano death thing that could potentially happen? I forget what it's called, but something about accidentally inhaling massive quantities of nanites into the lungs (via an atmospheric release of them), wiping everybody out. Don't remember where I heard that, maybe Coast to Coast. Grey death, or grey goo, or something.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

It's other star systems, or planetary systems, not solar systems. Solar System is the name of our system just as Sun is the name of our star. There is only one.

Correct, except the name of our sun is Sol, hence... Solar system.

To be honest we still need to work on our solar system. We have no ability to to travel from the Earth to even Mars so the the question isnt being honest with what our real capabilities are unless something has been hidden from us all.

Why send a manned mission? It would be cheaper and easier to send an unmanned intelligent probe. It won't need to be babied and will easily stand the extreme conditions for decades.

LoL sweetpumper is always good for a sideline !

But for real ! THis is exactly why there are Aliens ! We dream,em-Think of then See them,Make movies of them . Its all getting us programed to accept them when your wife or husband ,Girl freind, ect,ect, Pull there face mask off and show off there beautiful Lizzard Faces !

Just Like the Movies !

Edited by DONTEATUS

we should begin to care about our own planet before thinking about going somewhere else.

To be honest we still need to work on our solar system. We have no ability to to travel from the Earth to even Mars so the the question isnt being honest with what our real capabilities are unless something has been hidden from us all. We have a solar system loaded with stuff and we are pretty much still stuck on earth. I think Darpa should have focused on the problem facing us now and thats lack of a engine to take us to our neighboring planets. Chemical rockets dont cut it except for probes. Were not ready as a species yet for interstellar travel. Lets focus on our own solar system and the challenges it presents. Lets figure out how we can go to Mars,Jupiter and all the other places here in our solar system 1st.

I agree :yes:

I think it's too premature to be thinking about traveling so far when we've got so much more exploration to do in the Solar system.

I agree :yes:

I think it's too premature to be thinking about traveling so far when we've got so much more exploration to do in the Solar system.

But but... trinary star system pics!!

But but... trinary star system pics!!

OK, OK, those would be cool, but by the time it would take us to get there with a spaceship (manned or unmanned), technology here on earth will probably have evolved to a state that you can snap an ultra-high resolution Hubble-esque picture of the trinary with your own run-of-the-mill photocamera anyways... :lol:

OK, OK, those would be cool, but by the time it would take us to get there with a spaceship (manned or unmanned), technology here on earth will probably have evolved to a state that you can snap an ultra-high resolution Hubble-esque picture of the trinary with your own run-of-the-mill photocamera anyways... :lol:

But you just can't get three sunsets on one horizon like that! :D

It depends on how fast we can get. If we can make only 10% of light speed, we would be there in 43 years. It would take 4 years for the transmissions to get back here :D I would not see it most likely, but my son would.

LINK

That never really happened.

Prove it.

I will tell you a little secret. We have already been out there exploring other planets and solar systems. How is this possible? We have had the technology since the 1950s to travel to the stars. See Project Orion on google. This project was based on a nuclear pulse concept where atomic and hydrogen bombs would be exploded behind space ships weight thousands of tons to 1/3 the speed of light. The project was ended because of the 1963 test ban treaty which banned the nuclear explosions in the atmosphere.

However, there are other forms of power perfected since such as fusion engines. We are told that after 60 years of research we have not been able to build such an engine. But that is a big lie. Here is an example of a fusion engine the size of an egg which can power a star ship: see US Patent #4,023,065 entitled METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR GENERATING AND UTILIZING A COMPOUND PLASMA CONFIGURATION dated Oct. 24, 1973 by Paul Koloc. According to the NY Times he was a retired US Navy research physicist who called his device a compact thermonuclear reactor suitable to drive space ships. This engine was probably perfected in the 1950s and finally granted a patent in 1973. The device would heat up deurerium fuel to 100 million degrees. It makes the USS Enterprise on Star Trek look like an obsolete piece of junk.

The secret space program. So for decades we have our ships or UFOs vising other star systems and exploring whether they are useful for colonization. It may be hard to believe that men from earth have already walked on planets in other stat systems.

So why the secrecy? They have learned from history. Five hundred years before Columbus Vikings explored North America. What were the people told during those years? The earth was flat and you can fall off it if you travel into the ocean. Then in 1452 the Muslims conquered Constanopole and cut off trade with the east. Now the Europeans are in trouble and need new sources of resourses. So out came the ancient maps and given to the explorers. The Vinland Map was published in Europe a few years later and it showed the coast of North America. The Piri Reis Map was given to Columbus and it showed the Caribbean and South America. And now the entire world was opened to colonization. What I find interesting is that even today there are things about these early Viking explorations that are still secret and the historians are under orders to deny that they explored anything more then Newfoundland.

So I call this the Viking stage of space exploration where secret space missions are common and if we happened to see one of thsoe giant UFOs we are told they are aliens. So when will the government decide to tell us the truth? When they feel the time is ripe and with over 7 billion people and increasng rapidly it cannot be to long into the future.

I will tell you a little secret. We have already been out there exploring other planets and solar systems. How is this possible? We have had the technology since the 1950s to travel to the stars. See Project Orion on google. This project was based on a nuclear pulse concept where atomic and hydrogen bombs would be exploded behind space ships weight thousands of tons to 1/3 the speed of light. The project was ended because of the 1963 test ban treaty which banned the nuclear explosions in the atmosphere.

However, there are other forms of power perfected since such as fusion engines. We are told that after 60 years of research we have not been able to build such an engine. But that is a big lie. Here is an example of a fusion engine the size of an egg which can power a star ship: see US Patent #4,023,065 entitled METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR GENERATING AND UTILIZING A COMPOUND PLASMA CONFIGURATION dated Oct. 24, 1973 by Paul Koloc. According to the NY Times he was a retired US Navy research physicist who called his device a compact thermonuclear reactor suitable to drive space ships. This engine was probably perfected in the 1950s and finally granted a patent in 1973. The device would heat up deurerium fuel to 100 million degrees. It makes the USS Enterprise on Star Trek look like an obsolete piece of junk.

The secret space program. So for decades we have our ships or UFOs vising other star systems and exploring whether they are useful for colonization. It may be hard to believe that men from earth have already walked on planets in other stat systems.

So why the secrecy? They have learned from history. Five hundred years before Columbus Vikings explored North America. What were the people told during those years? The earth was flat and you can fall off it if you travel into the ocean. Then in 1452 the Muslims conquered Constanopole and cut off trade with the east. Now the Europeans are in trouble and need new sources of resourses. So out came the ancient maps and given to the explorers. The Vinland Map was published in Europe a few years later and it showed the coast of North America. The Piri Reis Map was given to Columbus and it showed the Caribbean and South America. And now the entire world was opened to colonization. What I find interesting is that even today there are things about these early Viking explorations that are still secret and the historians are under orders to deny that they explored anything more then Newfoundland.

So I call this the Viking stage of space exploration where secret space missions are common and if we happened to see one of thsoe giant UFOs we are told they are aliens. So when will the government decide to tell us the truth? When they feel the time is ripe and with over 7 billion people and increasng rapidly it cannot be to long into the future.

Dude, crawl from Comicon closet into real life, you've been there for a long time.