Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange flashes in my house.

DetestfulSeven

Hello everyone this is my first time on this forum and i would like to share some of my experiences with you great people. It starts out like this, a friend and i were sitting in a sitting room in my apartment talking to each other late at night and in the corner of the room that we were both facing we seen a flash of light that was almost exactly like a camera flash,we have seen it several times in the same area on different occasions. This is the environment in which it happened which is what puzzles me. There are no windows, the door was closed and the only electronic thing in the room is the light which is right next to us, so it's just 2 couches and one lamp. There we no sounds, smells or any environmental variable that i know of that could have contributed to this. I would really like to hear from you all, please feel free to ask any questions, i'll be more then happy to answer. One more thing, when it happens it's in the same general area, we have seen it directly and with peripheral vision several times.

Hello everyone this is my first time on this forum and i would like to share some of my experiences with you great people. It starts out like this, a friend and i were sitting in a sitting room in my apartment talking to each other late at night and in the corner of the room that we were both facing we seen a flash of light that was almost exactly like a camera flash,we have seen it several times in the same area on different occasions. This is the environment in which it happened which is what puzzles me. There are no windows, the door was closed and the only electronic thing in the room is the light which is right next to us, so it's just 2 couches and one lamp. There we no sounds, smells or any environmental variable that i know of that could have contributed to this. I would really like to hear from you all, please feel free to ask any questions, i'll be more then happy to answer. One more thing, when it happens it's in the same general area, we have seen it directly and with peripheral vision several times.

Keelian reprogramming? :blush:

Care to explain lol?

Late paranormal researcher John A. Keel collected reports of (and himself claimed to have experienced while living in a New York apartment building) unexplainable yet reoccurring flashes of light, akin to a camera bulb going off. He theorized that this was carried out as some form of mental reprogramming by unknown forces in an effort to manipulate or alter the subconscious of certain susceptible individuals.

I don't know if I necessarily share his notions behind the phenomenon, but, assuming that you are telling the truth, you should find some small solace in the fact that others have been reportedly encountering similar occurrences at least as far back as the nineteen-sixties.

If, as you say, what you have been observing is frequent and geographically static, you should try to video record it. While this would prove nothing regarding its origin, and despite the fact that you say that your friend has likewise witnessed it, this would prove that the phenomenon is not wholly subjective and the result of some visual/cognitive issue on your part. Once you capture it on video, you know that it is not a product of your mind (e.g., you just think you are seeing a flash).

From there, and this goes towards uncovering the reason (both paranormal or mundane) behind why it is occurring, you could keep a journal and record exactly when you observe it (time of day, day of week, who in your home is where). Then you have data from where to begin experimentation.

Edited by Mike G
  • Like 2

Actually i have wrote down the times it happened. But capturing it would be a good idea. This will be difficult as there is no pattern for the occurrences.

Edited by DetestfulSeven
  • Like 1

This also happened to my my mother and I and then my best friend at the time when I was a teenager. All three of us agreed that it came from the corner of the room out of the corner of our eye and lit the entire place up "brighter than the sun" for a split second. It happened once when my mother and I were watching TV at night and when my best friend was at home sitting on her couch and hers came from the garage (which is right near the couch). Very odd feeling but sort of comforting in a way as well, considering at the time my mother and I and my best friend were all going through really hard times when that happened.

Edited by rcade21

This also happened to my my mother and I and then my best friend at the time when I was a teenager. All three of us agreed that it came from the corner of the room out of the corner of our eye and lit the entire place up "brighter than the sun" for a split second. It happened once when my mother and I were watching TV at night and when my best friend was at home sitting on her couch and hers came from the garage (which is right near the couch). Very odd feeling but sort of comforting in a way as well, considering at the time my mother and I and my best friend were all going through really hard times when that happened.

Glad we're not the only ones who have experienced this, i really wonder what strange phenomenon is behind this or if it is a easily explained thing, either way it would be nice to know.

Glad we're not the only ones who have experienced this, i really wonder what strange phenomenon is behind this or if it is a easily explained thing, either way it would be nice to know.

Yeah, I thought I was the only one. Up until now I haven't really said anything about it, just kind of stuck it in the back of my mind, I may have mentioned it before on the forums but probably awhile ago. My mom still remembers it, too. She has seen some weird stuff in her lifetime, some she won't even speak about.

I think some people may be more prone to experiences like this than others. I'm sure some skeptics it's happened to before, is just shrugged off.

Edited by rcade21

Wow, very interesting. I don't see flashes of light but I do hear a gunshot on occasion that no one else does as well as other things that I won't get into here.

There are just too many things out there that can't be explained. You'll probably never know for sure what it is.

Intesting thread. I shared this story on another thread some time ago. My mom and step dad sold their house and business in the 80's and bought a 54ft sail boat. They sailed around the coast of the US and Mexico for many years. She told me that one time it was really warm so they slept out on the deck of their boat one night. They were in the open ocean and there was no boats or land that they could see. As they lay on the deck talking and looking at the stars, (she said it was a cloudless sky that night) suddenly there was a huge flash of blinding light. She said it seemed to come from everywhere all at once and it was as bright as the sun. She also said that she felt like someone had been over the top of their boat and had taken a huge flash picuter of them! They were a little freaked out so they went down into the cabin to sleep the rest of the night. She also told me that after that they did see it again although not in the same place and years apart. Freaky....

sorry double post!

Edited by Rocketgirl33

How intriguing! This, although sounds somehow familiar, has never happened to me before. But sometimes in my room (which once upon a time was a garage that an old lady died in) I can see a blurry, faded sort of light, whether it be in the corner of the room or on an object. And this is when no light is coming from anywhere, and when I direct my vision on it, it disappers.

Perhaps, if you believed in spirits, your room or some of the other places mentioned in the stream above ^^ could be haunted, like somehow the spirits that once lived in that area still exist. Maybe they're stuck there. Or maybe it's just a replay of what happened once upon a time.

It's far fetched, I know. Just a theory. Hope you can find a solution!

Stuff like this happens to me pretty often at times. I made a thread not too long ago :rofl:

But the other night it was happening every few minutes or so, and I tried to set up my camera to have a good view of my room. But all I did was end up wasting tape... I didnt catch any very clearly, but I could see a few of them around the corner out in the hall and you can kind of see it on the tape.

I spent some time recently having my eye looked at in Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, turns out I have a trifurcated optic nerve which had all the doctors quite excited as its quite unusual.

Anyway, one of the symptoms that I was asked about which I had been experiencing, due to tiredness and stress was occasionally seeing little white flashes, usually when lying in bed at night before sleeping. Obviously nothing outside was really flashing, but my optical/neuro systems led me to think something was. It was just the occasional flash, not repeated or continuing, but it was very easy to believe that it was a legitimate flash of light.

Since going to bed earlier and changing my diet up a bit my eye has got altogether better.. The flashes don't happen so often either.

But I don't know what it is if multiple people are seeing them, distant lighning/camera flash maybe?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi i had almost the same thing happen to me ..It was around 4 in the morning and me and my gf were in bed and i turned around and i closed my eyes and i saw a bright flash like if some one was useing a camera and i opened my eyes to see this bright light shine up from the floor next to are bed and it went out .like if some one closed a book and till this day we dont know what the hell it was..very Strange .. :huh:

Hi there, I was reading your entry and decided to tee it up for you. I had 3 ideas on this.

1) Watch the 1981 movie , "Looker". If you haven't seen it, its about a technology that this bad company uses to paralyze people. They put this technolgy into small pistol-like devices which emit a blast of powerful white light when fired directly or even semi-directly at a person. It overloads the optic nerve and paralyzes the person. It does so for hours or seconds depending on how strong and direct the "shot" was. The people hit by this light don't know they have been hit by it or for how long they have been "out".

What if this is real and you and the others are actually being zapped with this? Are you certain that you aren't "out" for awhile after being shot with this flash?

While you ponder that seemingly silly thought, on to number 2

2) Check the movie "Crawl Space" Can't remember the year-early 80's I think. This was a movie about a creepy landlord who secretly lived , more or less, in all the tenant's rooms. He did this by crawling through their crawl spaces and watching them. It isn't a good movie so I don't really remember it well but I would imagine that he was taking pictures of the people-mostly women. There would have to be a flash in order to get a good picture. Even if you own your home, are you completely certain there couldn't be someone who could sneak around in your attic, crawl space or other?

Before you laugh, one day I was in my backyard (garden for you Euros), and I saw this guy crawling out of the crawl space of this house next door. When he realized that I saw him he waved, dusted himself off, and walked away. Problem was, he didn't live there because no one lived there at that time. It was a rental house. The house has since been rented. Is he still there?

3) After reading Wyvern's reply, I said to myself, "Oh, that!" I don't know if its the same thing, but after reading that reply I realized that I had seen this flash also a few times. I was hoping it was the Looker thing so I could steal that weapon, but I think it was just super fatigue. I don't know if its the same thing as your's, but it was a bright light which lasted about 3 secs maybe. It was not a light that blinded me, but a bright quick flash.

Hope this helps, even if not, I did recommend some crappy 80's sci-fi movies for you. So you got that going for you anyway.

bob

Sounds like a visual hallucination, possibly brought on by eye strain or injury. Additionally, drugs and alcohol could also contribute.

This is happening to me too in my sons room above his bed I've seen it a few times but can't even tell where it I coming from. I thought it was electrical too but it seems to be right in the air not next to anything. There had been a large TV by his bed and it started having strange electrical problem ( when plugged in the back would crackle and snap) I had to get rid of it because I was scared it wouldstart a ffire but the lightflaah has still happened. Let me know if you figure anything out becauseiI really can'tfigure out the source and no it would be iimpossible to get a picture it happens so randomly and so fast that it would be too hard to catch I haven't even gotten a good focus on it visually its just like they said though a camera flash from nowhere

I too have seen it , very noticable. It turned out to be supernatural . I recently learned of this word/ descripton of what is called : preternatural.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have seen it , very noticable. It turned out to be supernatural . I recently learned of this word/ descripton of what is called : preternatural.

So I'm curious what clarified the cause to you and what you believe it is. Naturally with it happening on my sons bed I would be curious of the implications.

• 5 weeks later...

This happened to my family back in the 80's. I was around 9 years old and my parents had company over. All of a sudden, a bright burst of light just quickly flashed. Everyone literally looked around thinking what the hell was that. Till this day my mother remembers that day and always wondered what it was. The home we lived in was in an old part of St. Louis. According to records, the home was built in 1901 and it is a shotgun style home. The basement was extremely creepy and I also remember hearing things. As a young boy, I was not sure what the hell I was hearing but I remembered being very scared. I was so scared that by the early 90's, each night I could not sleep unless I had my blankets completely covering me. We finally moved in 1992 to a newly built home in the suburbs and I remember my first night at the new house. It was such a HUGE relief, and I got the best sleep in years. My mother witnessed many things in that home and she never told us until we moved and got older. I will be posting her stories eventually in order to get some input on what may have happened at that house. I still have occasional nightmares of either living there or moving back, and having the same level of fear, until I wake up and realize it.

• 2 weeks later...

I as well have experienced this, along with my mother. I wake up often every night and I am a very light sleeper so when I wake up it's very hard to go back to sleep. Anyways one night I woke up and saw "the bright light" it was so bright, a bright I had never seen before and it was coming out of my moms room. I was scared at the moment, almost shocked, didn't move but kept looking at it. It lasted for about 30 seconds, and towards the end it dimmed down very beautifuly. This morning my mom told me she had seen the bright light in her room last night. I've always wondered what it was, but am comforted knowing I'm not the only one whose experienced it.

I am glad to have found this thread as I experienced this for the first time about two weeks ago. I was lust settling in to bed and had just turned my fishtank light off so the room was dark. Suddenly this bright bluish-white flash of light went off. It seemed just like a camera flash actually. That is how I described it as well. It seemed to have a limited area of influence as it did not light the entire room, just one area. And I feel like it may have been a spherical shaped light but it happened so fast I am unsure.

I saw it once more last week but only out of the corner of my eye and really only the light reflecting off of the wall. I have not seen it since. Strange.