Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jupiter mistaken for distress flare

Still Waters

Lifeboat crews launched a rescue mission after a member of the public reported seeing distress flares over the North Sea that turned out to be the planet Jupiter.

Tynemouth RNLI and a RAF helicopter were called out at 7.45pm on Monday to locate a potentially troubled vessel six miles off the coast of Tynemouth Longsands, North Tyneside.

They saw a number of fishing boats making their way back to the Tyne but an extensive search proved fruitless.

And after an hour out at sea it was found that the informant had mistaken the bright sparks of Jupiter for flares.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woopypooky

• Still Waters

• Mike 215

• xScorpinix

Reminds me of the time that I mistook a golf ball for a death star.

well I was sailing off the mountainous shore of Crete,looking for a flashing nvigation light

I was sailing off shore near some mountains at night,looking for a flashing navigation beacon. Suddenly I saw it. well after navigating by it for a few minutes it turned out to be a cars headlamps winding down a windy road.

I don't buy it. No way a single, stable object could be mistaken for a flare!? Maybe he was drunk and it appeared to move about? Or the coast gaurd was lazy and just excepted that as an explanation?

Jupiter has been mistaken many times by the uninformed though how you mistake a steady planet for a moving flare that travels in a arc and falls quickly is beyond me. Maybe this was the 1st time this person ever looked at the stars and planets or like it was said a convenient explanation for the coast guard.

I was looking at Jupiter the other night from my balcony in Sweden. I've never seen it so large and bright before, could even make out some of it's moons with a cheap pair of binoculars. When I lived in England I needed a powerful telescope to see them. The sky in Sweden is much clearer at night though, especially now winter is coming.

• 2 weeks later...

IT sounds like a UFO case and with the navy covering it up by claiming it was a planet.

Derp.