Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is There Anybody Out There?

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA
Image credit: NASA
Jill Tarter has two claims to fame. Not only is she one of America’s most respected space scientists, she was also the model for the heroine of a blockbuster Hollywood film. When Jodie Foster graced the silver screen in Contact, as the head of a programme trying to locate alien signals from the cosmos, it was Tarter’s story she was bringing to life.

Despite the Hollywood hype, the scientist nevertheless retains her reputation for hard-headed science.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Scotsman

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicTJ

• Novo

• Fluffybunny

• AztecInca

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope its a signal! PLEASSSEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Geez it's been a LONG time since I've been here. Glad to have found this place again.

The fact that this signal is 1,000 light years away from any known or perceived planetary systems, to me at least, is more compelling than if it were coming from a system.

The reason for this thinking is because it virtually eliminates any possibility that it is coming from something natural. There has to be something there! Other than good, ole' background noise, empty space doesn't just 'hiccup'.

I'm gonna be watching this story very closely. I hope there is a way they can amplify the signal.

One other thing that's interesting, though. With the old "Wow!" signal, it only happened for a brief time, and hasn't been heard again since. This one continues to be observed.

One other thing that's interesting, though.  With the old "Wow!" signal, it only happened for a brief time, and hasn't been heard again since.  This one continues to be observed.

257591[/snapback]

I would be willing to bet that there are aliens out there still snickering about that one:

Fred: Bob, watch this...

**Points laser towards earth...presses button briefly**

Fred: I bet this is going to sooo confuse those idiots...

Bob: Whatever you do, don't send it again...leave me hanging for a good 50 years...

**Bob and Fred laugh hysterically**

Geez, thanks for the signal guys... rolleyes.gif

LOL!

Nobody ever really thinks about the very real possibility that if there ARE aliens, they could be complete comedians.

Sorry everyone it was me, i went for a lesieurely stroll in my spacecraft downnear the region of space between the constellations Pisces and Aries and I forgot to pack my lunch so i sent a signal home to my mum to bring me some! Oooppps! LOL!

Hopefully it really is a signal form another intellignet species, what a discovery that would be, if only!

Can you imagine how advanced they'd be by now.

One thousand years ago they had radio.

Just think about where the human race was then.

Not even close to being able to produce radio waves.

How many new discoveries would they have made by now?

Assuming the signal is authentic of course.

257778[/snapback]

IF there anything like us, they blew the hell out of themselves.. the radio signal is troop movment orders or something laugh.gif

This becomes very interesting if you co-relate this phenomenon with the flying triangle phenomenon. The technology & the timing ?