Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How bad can it get if the US falls into

conspiracybeliever

NEW YORK (AP) — Are investors overreacting to the prospect of a recession?

The slightly better jobs report on Friday notwithstanding, the odds of a recession appear to be climbing, and that's bringing back scary memories.Though stocks may look cheap thanks to record corporate profits, that was also true the last time the U.S. was heading into a downturn. Based on recent recessions, profits could fall a third if the economy crumbles.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conspiracybeliever

• DieChecker

• Travelling Man

• Corp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How bad can it get??

Maybe to the point where people are leaping out windows?

Personnally I think mostly another Recession will hurt the Elderly/Retired, as they generally don't have a steady income, other then Social Security, and thus they draw off retirement accounts. Accounts which usually are attached to investments. Investments that would loose value and lower dividends. Of course Unemployment would be the other pain with a recession.

I think the signs are there that we are dipping into a 2nd recession. Maybe Obama is not directly responsible, but it has been the Custom in US Politics to always blame the party in power whenever things fail to turn around. Thus Obama is going to have to just take the blame.

Blamestorming and pointing fingers at the Tea Party is going to work as much as finger pointing ever has... which is to say, practically never. The Tea Party Republicans will likely be re-elected, as they did Exactly what they said they would. They represented their constituancy that elected them, based on their election platforms. Few other Republicans or Democrats can say that.

Edited by DieChecker

How bad could it get? Probably a lot worse than the Great Recession. There are more people now than there were then. At that time, there wasn't a New Deal yet, and now there are lots of people dependent on the results of the New Deal that will falter into the dust if things crumble. There's also a lot more people now that have no connection with self sufficiency to help them through another big recession. A lot of people wouldn't have a clue how to feed themselves without an outlet to go get food from.

I imagine there would likely be more violence since there are more people packed together in cities now than ever before. Mob and riot mentalities flare up more easily where there are more people packed together. Crime too, it's easier pickings when you have a lot of people packed together.

I don't necessarily think we will crumble into crap, but if it happens, it's sure to be rather ugly.

How bad could it get, mass rioting food riots like in Napoleon era France. Mass looting, destruction of infrastructure. Rape squads like in Yugoslavia. Ethnic clashes unfortunately. FEMA enforcing curfews with the aid of the U.S Military. Violent clashes with the various Government agencies. Municipal police departments and first responders overwhelmed or simply absent so they can protect their own families. Total breakdown of basic services, empty shelves at Grocery stores. No electricity, no phones, no running water, raw sewage in the streets and water, cholera and typhoid outbreaks. Elderly and the very young dying off in mass. Sadness, desperation, violence, suffering, children starving to death, pets being consumed as food, and at the worst end of the spectrum people resorting to cannibalism, like in 1920's Czechoslovakia, and to a lessor extent after hurricane Katrina. This is just the 1st 12 DAYS. After that it probably gets better because not too many people would remain alive.

Every calamity entails a chance, and that is what we have to see foremost. And just keep hoping that some fall of the donkey and realize that it is not business to multiply money, but business is generating money through production and trade of products... but then again, I have too much faith in my fellow men...

I'm half heartedly hoping it gets a little worse... I'm waiting on just a slightly lower interest rate to refinance my morgage. :w00t::tu:

I'm half heartedly hoping it gets a little worse... I'm waiting on just a slightly lower interest rate to refinance my morgage. :w00t::tu:

Well with just a little luck enough people will die off or be murdered, however you want to look at it, so there will be enough money leftover to get you more in your pocket! :tu:

This little glitch that has been called "The Great Recession" is nothing compared to the recession we saw in the early 1980's. In many regions in the US, we had unemployment that was reaching 30+%... which is WAY over what we have now.

The 80's is when I entered the job market... so I remember VERY vividly. Companies were going under faster than they could fill out their incorporation paperwork.

Okay, I'm old... I'll admit it.

This little glitch that has been called "The Great Recession" is nothing compared to the recession we saw in the early 1980's. In many regions in the US, we had unemployment that was reaching 30+%... which is WAY over what we have now.

The 80's is when I entered the job market... so I remember VERY vividly. Companies were going under faster than they could fill out their incorporation paperwork.

So you think it's all being blown out of proportion?

So you think it's all being blown out of proportion?

Overall, the situation in the 80s had similar unemployment to right now.

post-66314-0-19957200-1318361249_thumb.p

Buying a house here, I'm with you on that. :tu: