Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of the the 'Crooked Forest'

Still Waters

With their trunks all bent the northward, these trees look like something straight out of one of the more uncomfortable fairy tales.

Surrounded by a larger forest of straight growing pine trees near Gryfino, north-west Poland, this grove of curved trees - dubbed the 'Crooked Forest' - is a mystery.

The curved pines, of which there are about 400, were planted around 1930.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Crypto2357

• Grandpa Greenman

• Cryptozological Mascot

There are similar trees here in north eastern PA that do the same thing. They are located on a plot of land labeled Satan's Hill. There is an old church on top of the hill where its said that satan worshipers use and as you go up the mile long drive, trees that are similar to these line the whole driveway, except they all bend away from the driveway. No real explanation for it. Whenever we tried to get close to the church however we would always be cornerd by individuals in white vans and trucks that forced us off the property. pretty awesome.

There are similar trees here in north eastern PA that do the same thing. They are located on a plot of land labeled Satan's Hill. There is an old church on top of the hill where its said that satan worshipers use and as you go up the mile long drive, trees that are similar to these line the whole driveway, except they all bend away from the driveway. No real explanation for it. Whenever we tried to get close to the church however we would always be cornerd by individuals in white vans and trucks that forced us off the property. pretty awesome.

Your story sounds a little bit... made up. :yes:

Take a break from Hollywood movies for a while.

I've heard of this place before, and there are links on this sight regarding it. Lots 'o weird tales about the place.

I don't think it is much of a mystery to someone who does Bonsai. It is just Bonsai ramped up a notch. :rolleyes:

Except the story is a little bit........true. Check out the book Weird Pennsylvania. Theres a few pages about it. Maybe it should have been a Hollywood movie, but my friends and I know for a fact that its not. Its private property and who knows what they worship, just wierd when all the signs, tree trunks and rocks have pentagrams and 666 all over them and the trees are deformed in that manner.

Edited by Crypto2357

I can't believe the British newspaper The Daily Mail used the American "plows" rather than the British "ploughs."

I can't believe the British newspaper The Daily Mail used the American "plows" rather than the British "ploughs."

I don't see how it matters which spelling is used when they both have the same meaning. It doesn't make the article less interesting either.

Someone forced the trees to grow like this for a reason. They must have had an idea. I see some cool furniture and rocking chairs.

Cool pic, but the growth is utterly normal. The trees just followed the path of available light at the time they were smaller.

Yeah, I think this was more along the lines of someone cultivating the trees to bend. From the article: "the outbreak of the Second World War interrupted the plans of whoever was growing and tending the grove, leaving their plans a mystery." Perhaps the person responsible perished in the war?

Well, we can only guess it was human intervention, but that can't be verified, so it remains a mystery I guess.

Interesting. I am sure there is an environmental factor to explain the abnormal growth yet the picture does remind me of a few European folklore of how plants and tree would become warped or deformed by the occupation of a mischievous or evil fairy, sprite or spirit. Again interesting.

I don't think it is much of a mystery to someone who does Bonsai. It is just Bonsai ramped up a notch. :rolleyes:

Trees can grow in a bent way because of soil compositon, wind, infection, growing on the slope of a hill, and damage.

But this looks like someone - a boat builder - planted trees, and as soon as the trees had grown to a certain hight cut everything that grew straight up and sideways from the trees, except one side branch; boat builders often looked for these bent trees to create the keel of the boat.

These trees were obviously left alone to grow to a mature size (and straight up again) because the one trimming them died or something.