Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Ravinar

53 Percent Vs the 99 Percent

52 posts in this topic

Tiggs

trythis3.png

[Source] - The Atlantic

That's a pie chart illustrating the income levels of those who don't pay Federal Income Tax . The short explanation of why most people don't pay Federal Income Tax is because they're currently living below the poverty level.

The longer explanation can be found here.

Edited by Tiggs

DieChecker

Yep, there's lots of folks that pay their taxes fair and square.. And there's folks that don't pay at all or less than their fair share, some because they don't/can't work, some because they ignore it, and some because they got great tax accountants and great loopholes.

True> I have a friend who is a software engineer and he always tells me that his tax guy just claims the max every year that he can without risking an audit. I suspect that is very, very common. If you can claim all kinds of deductions and get away with it, doesn't that make the honest people some kind of sucker to just take the standard deduction?

Probably that is what the rich do. Just claim that you gave a 25% time donation of various properties to charities. Who may or may not have actually used the properties, and bingo, tens of thousands in deductions for nothing.

Well, the EIC that everyone so famously complains about is actually much better than raising minimum wage or giving welfare because it gives back to the economy more than it takes and actually pulls people out of poverty. That is why when a minimum wage increase is talked about it usually ends in a compromise to raise EIC.

So... the answer to getting wages up is to spend more Federal money, that is not available, because taxes don't bring in enough, because wages are not high enough?

It would seem impossible to bring someone out of poverty up to a Living Wage, by giving them government money. With the amount of people in poverty, we'd need more money each year to pay them then is spent yearly on Social Security, Unemployment and Welfare all put together.

trythis3.png

[Source] - The Atlantic

That's a pie chart illustrating the income levels of those who don't pay Federal Income Tax . The short explanation of why most people don't pay Federal Income Tax is because they're currently living below the poverty level.

The longer explanation can be found here.

Is that household, or individual? Because poverty for individual is like 11,000, and moves up to 22,000 for a household of 4.

I doubt that the people earning 30,000 a year pay no taxes. 30,000 is not poverty level in most parts of the US. Not well off, but not poverty either. Not without having 5 or 6 kids.

But I don't see the chart differnciating between those who have a 6 kid family and those who are individuals.

Edited by DieChecker