Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My thoughts on EMF

Searching4Truth91

In my opinion, the whole EMF thing is a feeble attempt to somehow scientifically justify the whole "ghost hunting" phenomenon.

I have to give kudos, however, to whoever came up with it because it's brilliant. Let's take something that is pretty much found everywhere on the planet and then correlate it to the existence of ghosts.

If folks want to move the study of ghosts out of the mystical and into the scientific, fine. But let's take it the whole way and scientifically study the correlation.

Again, where's the proof of a link between the two?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark is Back

• Evo

• A rather obscure Bassoon

• _Only

That's a good argument from a skeptic perspective. The same could be said about temperature fluctuations, IR/UV fluctuations, etc. Nothing really is proven, or truly known about anything in the field, so there has to be a starting point. As you said

If folks want to move the study of ghosts out of the mystical and into the scientific, fine. But let's take it the whole way and scientifically study the correlation.

While groups mainly use EMF detectors/meters to find sources that could be an alternate explanation for activity, a 'debunk'; like a badly grounded fuse box or wires grounded to plumbing, things that can be easily explained and followed to potentially dangerous levels of emission, which could be blamed for any of the symptoms, or claims of the home owner.

Some are also attempting this through the use of K-II, Digital EMF, GaussMaster, MelMeter, ParanormalPuck, Ovilus, etc., etc., etc. All of these devices are built around the principal of EMF detection and measurement which helps in the study the correlation between supposed paranormal activity and the presence or fluctuation of EMF to see if it those theories do have some basis.

You're really criticizing, and encouraging, the use of EMF detectors all in the same statement.

The real problem isn’t with the devices; it is the fact that all of this is still just theory or an idea. Originating at every angle from "Energy cannot be destroyed this comprises the spiritual body" to "Manifestation requires the draw on, and collection of, energy thus causing an EM spike"

Not sure why, just determining if it works at all before we narrow down the exact how.

It does seem like some brilliant scheme though, I can see that, but I've also seen some correlation through testing.

Edited by Mark of R.I.P.

Think the danger of being accused of pseudo-science begins with the correlation between actual energies (electromagnetic), and new age theories (spirit energy).

Energy =/= "Energy" Or does it...?

No, I'm guessing it doesn't. As always, a high in the sky claim like that without proof should be left up there in the skies.

Someone should event a device that lets you see EM waves. That would be extremely useful. Perhaps a sort of visor which sends out a kind of radar-like signal that reacts with EM waves and sends a signal back to the visor which then creates an image.

Think the danger of being accused of pseudo-science begins with the correlation between actual energies (electromagnetic), and new age theories (spirit energy).

Energy =/= "Energy" Or does it...?

No, I'm guessing it doesn't. As always, a high in the sky claim like that without proof should be left up there in the skies.

It already is considered a fringe, psudo-science. I don't think it has the same connection implied, but it doesn't mean that it's not still some correlation without being directly connected. I'm not proclaiming a "cum hoc ergo propter hoc" situation, but we cannot ignore that there is correlation between activity and EM field readings. Why we don't know, that's why we're trying to study it.

While I agree that the two energies are not alike, I don't believe this dismisses the entire plausibility of the correlation.

The real problem isn’t with the devices; it is the fact that all of this is still just theory or an idea. Originating at every angle from "Energy cannot be destroyed this comprises the spiritual body" to "Manifestation requires the draw on, and collection of, energy thus causing an EM spike"

That's kind of my point - instead of a bunch of folks stumbling around in the dark with their gadgets screaming ".4, .5, 1.2 OMG it's proof of a ghost!!!", how about we do some real scientific testing.

It seems that the hypothesis is well defined at this point - so let's prove it.

That's kind of my point - instead of a bunch of folks stumbling around in the dark with their gadgets screaming ".4, .5, 1.2 OMG it's proof of a ghost!!!", how about we do some real scientific testing.

It seems that the hypothesis is well defined at this point - so let's prove it.

EXACTLY - that's what we've been working on :D

Could we humans,stumbling around in a group in the dark,hyped up and in a very excitable and nervous state,produce EMF or affect the background EMF.

Could we humans,stumbling around in a group in the dark,hyped up and in a very excitable and nervous state,produce EMF or affect the background EMF.

Through the studies I've personally conducted on that, the answer is yes and no. The levels of EM we produce are not great enough to cause a distinct change in most of the current equipment being utilized. While a heightened sense of fear or general adrenaline spike will cause the heart to beat faster and the brain to fire more often sending electrical impulses through the body (think, system checks) we don't pump out enough to be an actual interference.

This is not to say some people out there aren't running on a higher charge, or otherwise - just that the general person isn't affecting it strictly through EM.

HOWEVER movement can - most of that equipment, if carried, will fluctuate even over a steady source if the angle is changes (sensor field and range is only so great) or if moved rapidly. So be careful.

Through the studies I've personally conducted on that, the answer is yes and no. The levels of EM we produce are not great enough to cause a distinct change in most of the current equipment being utilized. While a heightened sense of fear or general adrenaline spike will cause the heart to beat faster and the brain to fire more often sending electrical impulses through the body (think, system checks) we don't pump out enough to be an actual interference.

This is not to say some people out there aren't running on a higher charge, or otherwise - just that the general person isn't affecting it strictly through EM.

HOWEVER movement can - most of that equipment, if carried, will fluctuate even over a steady source if the angle is changes (sensor field and range is only so great) or if moved rapidly. So be careful.

So when you measure an abnormal spike in EMF and you have ruled out all natural causes,is this paranormal then ?.Do we know everything about EMF?.

So when you measure an abnormal spike in EMF and you have ruled out all natural causes,is this paranormal then ?.Do we know everything about EMF?.

Working on it. One day... one day... it shall be known how EMF works.

it takes A LOT to rule out everything - we've even gone as far as creating and testing a faraday cage to eliminate as much external interference as possible - and have achieved 'responses' where spikes suddenly appear in a place they shouldn't be.

It's a long process to eliminate every possible cause, and usually requires a lot of follow up. I even went as far as to completely dismantle one of the devices on site because it was the only one on a table getting any kind of hit - everything tested fine on the board so I couldn't explain that one.

But like I may have mentioned, we scrutinize everything and without something to verify what we experience it can be paranormal all day - we don't and won't categorize it as evidence or solid proof.

We also do not know everything about EM fields, look at the research being done in universities where they can control someone's ability to tell the truth, or replicate emotions and stimulate reactions using EM alone.

it takes A LOT to rule out everything - we've even gone as far as creating and testing a faraday cage to eliminate as much external interference as possible - and have achieved 'responses' where spikes suddenly appear in a place they shouldn't be.

It's a long process to eliminate every possible cause, and usually requires a lot of follow up. I even went as far as to completely dismantle one of the devices on site because it was the only one on a table getting any kind of hit - everything tested fine on the board so I couldn't explain that one.

But like I may have mentioned, we scrutinize everything and without something to verify what we experience it can be paranormal all day - we don't and won't categorize it as evidence or solid proof.

We also do not know everything about EM fields, look at the research being done in universities where they can control someone's ability to tell the truth, or replicate emotions and stimulate reactions using EM alone.

So if you get a hit then it may be paranormal but you will never know for sure...

So if you get a hit then it may be paranormal but you will never know for sure...

Never is a strong word, just it's very hard to consider. We do have hits, that are unique and correspond directly with EVPs and Temperature fluctuations (all earmarks) - that we catalog. We may not show all the corresponding pieces for entertainment in presentations so that we don't bore people, but that has happened.

While still we can't say for sure exactly what may have spoken or interacted it is by definition paranormal, and it is also completely unexplainable with the environment and standard science.

This is why it's still a touchy field.. We're shy one Dan Aykroyd and a pair of ghost traps to be able to move this to a completely controlled environment for continuous testing.

touchy field.. We're shy one Dan Aykroyd and a pair of ghost traps to be able to move this to a completely controlled environment for continuous testing.

Sorry, think he moved on to UFOs awhile ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDyWZmMtqg

:alien:

:lol:

Never is a strong word, just it's very hard to consider. We do have hits, that are unique and correspond directly with EVPs and Temperature fluctuations (all earmarks) - that we catalog. We may not show all the corresponding pieces for entertainment in presentations so that we don't bore people, but that has happened.

While still we can't say for sure exactly what may have spoken or interacted it is by definition paranormal, and it is also completely unexplainable with the environment and standard science.

This is why it's still a touchy field.. We're shy one Dan Aykroyd and a pair of ghost traps to be able to move this to a completely controlled environment for continuous testing.

would it be possible to manipulate EMF to maybe force a ghost to materialise or open a portal ? maybe if you could shield. yourself from its effects.You know maybe be a Tesla in the world of paranormal investigation.

would it be possible to manipulate EMF to maybe force a ghost to materialise or open a portal ? maybe if you could shield. yourself from its effects. You know maybe be a Tesla in the world of paranormal investigation.

Looking for a further understanding of what is before we start trying to manipulate EM like that, but the EM pump was designed with a similar concept - "give them enough power, they should be able to interact"..

But the idea for something to do just what you suggested is on paper, just not sure how plausible it is yet or if it's cost effective. (it was designed for other purposes, but having seen the plans it's paranormal potential is huge) Think of it as dialing down the EM interfierence so that all that is left is the entity... That one is still out of reach for now... but no worries.

Looking for a further understanding of what is before we start trying to manipulate EM like that, but the EM pump was designed with a similar concept - "give them enough power, they should be able to interact"..

But the idea for something to do just what you suggested is on paper, just not sure how plausible it is yet or if it's cost effective. (it was designed for other purposes, but having seen the plans it's paranormal potential is huge) Think of it as dialing down the EM interfierence so that all that is left is the entity... That one is still out of reach for now... but no worries.

I hope not for long.I feel that understanding EMF could be the key that opens a lot of doors.

I hope not for long.I feel that understanding EMF could be the key that opens a lot of doors.

Yup, but even then, which key? There are different kinds of EMF. We can rule out light: seems like that one actually interferes with them materializing. It could be that the correct wavelength is more likely similar radio waves. My theory is that certain wavelengths can hurt them or weaken them, such as light. Seeing as how they do not have physical mass, perhaps longer wavelengths not only damage them less, but they can also manipulate them for their own purpose. Its like gamma rays for us: it destroys us. In the case of spirits, seeing as to how they have no body, it can take something lower, such as light, to interfere with their existence in this plane.

Also, when it comes to memory, I think there is more to it than electrons and chemical reactions. The brain "remembers" by recreating memorized patterns of neuron firings; but how do those patterns get memorized? I think there is some wavelength or form of energy that we dont know of yet which ties this all together, for if said energy did exist, then it might make is possible for memory and consciousness to exist after death, and that itself could be the soul: our minds. Perhaps there is a form of undiscovered dark energy or an energy emitted by a sub particle in the atom. Mass/atoms itself is a form of energy, just one that is stabilized and keeps a form. The existence of solid is nothing more than hardened energy, in a sense.

Also, when it comes to memory, I think there is more to it than electrons and chemical reactions. The brain "remembers" by recreating memorized patterns of neuron firings; but how do those patterns get memorized?

I think a few college classes would be able to answer all of your questions.

I think a few college classes would be able to answer all of your questions.

If it would, Alzheimer's wouldn't be hard to get rid of, would it?

lol, I think Mike has a point that some college courses are helpful, but I think he gave the snarky short answer.

Currently science does not have all the answers on the human brain, but they do have several. Personally, I find it an exciting part of the whole ghost phenomena. Understanding how our brain works and how things like EMF affect us can help explain what is going on when we get the spooky going on.

lol, I think Mike has a point that some college courses are helpful, but I think he gave the snarky short answer.

Nah, I was serious. Apologies if it came off in some other way.