Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

~23 People were arrested

SilverCougar

Really not much info on this aside the you tube video.. that is in this blog article.

There is another blog about it as well.. but nothing by the "big news sources".

So according to this... they were trying to close their accounts, told to leave but then locked in by security and then the cops came in force to make arrests.

I really hope more information about this comes to light..

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Odin11

• SilverCougar

• __Kratos__

• Travelling Man

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were locked in then how was the lady at the end of the video out of the bank?

I really hate videos like this. It's just like every other one where cops are supposedly in the wrong. It starts half way through and ends without any real evidence of any wrong doing. But don't get me wrong I'm not taking any sides. Why? No evidence, just what other protesters are saying. But I doubt that it happened just like it said in the story, and I highly doubt that they were all just standing in line quietly. There are 3 sides to this story the cop's and bank's side, the protesters' side and the truth.

Edited by Odin11

She was dragged in by the cops. I guess a planes clothed cop saw her trying to tell the people who were in the bank to wait for the lawyers that are helping those arrested during OWS, napped her for "disrupting the peace" and then he and the cluster of other cops forcefully dragged her into the bank with the others.

But police later arrested 24 people at a Citibank branch near Manhattan's Washington Square Park, saying they were trespassing and being disorderly. Two people were also charged with resisting arrest.

Citibank said in a statement that “a large amount of protesters” entered its branch at 555 LaGuardia Place at about 2 p.m.

“They were very disruptive and refused to leave after being repeatedly asked, causing our staff to call 911,” the bank said, adding that police asked for the branch to be closed “until the protesters could be removed.”

Only one person asked to close an account, and that request was accommodated, Citibank said.

Among the demonstrators withdrawing their money from Chase was Lily Paulina, 29, an organizer with the United Auto Workers union who lives in Brooklyn. She said she was taking her money out because she was upset that JPMorgan Chase was making billions of dollars, while its customers struggled with bank fees and home foreclosures.

"Chase bank is making tons of money off of everyone ... while people in the working class are fighting just to keep a living wage in their neighborhood," she said.

"We aren't going to be a part of this system that doesn't work for us,'' said another demonstrator withdrawing her money, Brooklyn College student Biola Jeje, 20.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Occupy-Wall-Street-OWS-protest-NYC-wall-street-march-oct-15--131915363.html

-------------------------------

Their local news I got a link from a blog to a blog to the daily beast to that page. :P

Funny how after they helped one person they realized how much business they were going to lose on that day and that would look terrible for the managers so they called the cops.

Edited by __Kratos__

But police later arrested 24 people at a Citibank branch near Manhattan's Washington Square Park, saying they were trespassing and being disorderly. Two people were also charged with resisting arrest.

Citibank said in a statement that a large amount of protesters entered its branch at 555 LaGuardia Place at about 2 p.m.

They were very disruptive and refused to leave after being repeatedly asked, causing our staff to call 911, the bank said, adding that police asked for the branch to be closed until the protesters could be removed.

Only one person asked to close an account, and that request was accommodated, Citibank said.

Among the demonstrators withdrawing their money from Chase was Lily Paulina, 29, an organizer with the United Auto Workers union who lives in Brooklyn. She said she was taking her money out because she was upset that JPMorgan Chase was making billions of dollars, while its customers struggled with bank fees and home foreclosures.

"Chase bank is making tons of money off of everyone ... while people in the working class are fighting just to keep a living wage in their neighborhood," she said.

"We aren't going to be a part of this system that doesn't work for us,'' said another demonstrator withdrawing her money, Brooklyn College student Biola Jeje, 20.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Occupy-Wall-Street-OWS-protest-NYC-wall-street-march-oct-15--131915363.html

-------------------------------

Their local news I got a link from a blog to a blog to the daily beast to that page. :P

Funny how after they helped one person they realized how much business they were going to lose on that day and that would look terrible for the managers so they called the cops.

Like I said before. I highly doubt that they were all just standing in line quietly. I would even bet all the money I have in my bank account that they were not quiet, and that they were most likely trying to cause a scene to let people know why they were there.

But again I want to say that of course the bank is going to say one thing and the protesters another.

Oh… I also wanted to say that I have not really been following all this Occupy stuff so I really dont know enough to be for it or not. I'm just going off what I know from this video and maybe 2 others and what I know about how protesters in this era in general act.

-----------------------------------

On a different note, I noticed a growing trend in protesters of this era. I was talking to a friend of the family today, who was and still is big time into protesting. What she and I were talking about was all the people resisting arrest.

In a lot of videos of people being arrested now days you see people trying to pull away from police or run when being handcuffed and you see a lot of pleading and people digging in their heels.

She said that in the 70s you didnt see that, that much, at lest not with the people she protested with. She was part of a protest where they went into the town hall and had a sit-in. She said what they did was let themselves be handcuffed, and then when being taking out they all lifted their hands over their head in pride. And watching old videos you can see this.

She said the difference is that in the 70s they knew they were breaking the law and they were prepared for the consequence, whereas now people are surprised when they are arrested.

What do you all think? Are you seeing the same thing?

Edited by Odin11

Not at all. Today the police are more viewed as the enemy. The million images of them beating, tasering (sp?) and general brutality that's been in our culture for most of our young people's (including my own) it's a different reality. I mean, just look how forceful the police are being there and the videos that have been put up. Some brutes spraying pepper spray into a defenseless girls face just for standing on a sidewalk?

Here's a few videos from the last day or so:

http://www.economicvoice.com/police-brutality-at-occupy-wall-street-rally/50024634#axzz1avUTu8dy

First one is a cop beating up a guy for not wanting to be pushed backwards forcefully.

Second one is a cop using his motorcycle as a weapon to run over a protester.

32 pictures of police brutality against protesters:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/violent-pictures-from-occupy-wall-street-protests

So they're getting beaten, sprayed, harassed and even run over by the law and the law wants respect? These are only some of the videos that we've seen and incidents that have been filmed, so there's got to be more just based on the pattern of heavy handed behavior by the NYPD.

edit: forgot to add in injustice in the legal system...

1318749595263.jpg

One of the images brought back to life and being used by the protesters today to show the inequality against the 99%.

Edited by __Kratos__

No matter how you try to sugar coat it, that lady in the suit OUTSIDE the bank who wasn't even yelling or angry with the police when she just kept repeating "I'm a customer" but who was nonetheless dragged into the bank with no less than a dozen police and security overseeing the action - is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the world today. Seriously - someone explain to me what threat holding up her banking papers and stating she is a customer posed to anyone?

The reason people don't see the wrong in our legal system is because it has been drilled into their heads by the media for many years that we have a growing crime rate which I don't believe is true. What we have is a growing business, our prisons. We're creating crime. The media is craeting a war between the people and the people who are supposed to be protecting the people. They've created this image of the criminal and the good guys protecting the people and it isn't true. So who's side do the people who never participate or see anything but the images on their tv? Those people they think are protecting them, the police, and it's not the case. The police are protecting the banksters, the real criminals.

1318749595263.jpg

One of the images brought back to life and being used by the protesters today to show the inequality against the 99%.

Unfortunately, the difference is that one crime is a Federal offense and the other isnt. The Federal offense carries a mandetory minimum sentence.

Unfortunately, the difference is that one crime is a Federal offense and the other isnt. The Federal offense carries a mandetory minimum sentence.

Perhaps judges should read Crime of punishment by Carl Menninger before giving a sentence

Edited by Paracelse

The reason people don't see the wrong in our legal system is because it has been drilled into their heads by the media for many years that we have a growing crime rate which I don't believe is true. What we have is a growing business, our prisons. We're creating crime. The media is craeting a war between the people and the people who are supposed to be protecting the people. They've created this image of the criminal and the good guys protecting the people and it isn't true. So who's side do the people who never participate or see anything but the images on their tv? Those people they think are protecting them, the police, and it's not the case. The police are protecting the banksters, the real criminals.

It isn't true, crime has been going down almost consistently since the mid 80s. It went up a little in a couple years ago, but then started going back down again.

Not at all. Today the police are more viewed as the enemy. The million images of them beating, tasering (sp?) and general brutality that's been in our culture for most of our young people's (including my own) it's a different reality. I mean, just look how forceful the police are being there and the videos that have been put up. Some brutes spraying pepper spray into a defenseless girls face just for standing on a sidewalk?

Here's a few videos from the last day or so:

http://www.economicvoice.com/police-brutality-at-occupy-wall-street-rally/50024634#axzz1avUTu8dy

First one is a cop beating up a guy for not wanting to be pushed backwards forcefully.

Second one is a cop using his motorcycle as a weapon to run over a protester.

32 pictures of police brutality against protesters:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/violent-pictures-from-occupy-wall-street-protests

So they're getting beaten, sprayed, harassed and even run over by the law and the law wants respect? These are only some of the videos that we've seen and incidents that have been filmed, so there's got to be more just based on the pattern of heavy handed behavior by the NYPD.

1318749595263.jpg

You see, this is just my point. Ive seen the video of the girls being pepper sprayed, its just like I said starts in the middle of it and shows nothing.

You want to know something I went back to look at it again and noticed something. The video was edited, the beginning was cut off, you know, the part when a guy rushed the police was taken down, and the guy holding the camera yelling "POLICE BRUTALITY! POLICE BRUTALITY! Then you see something happen by the barriers and the people in front block the view so you cant see anything. So we really have no idea why they sprayed the people, most likely were because it was all getting out of control.

In the first video of the link, again cant see anything until the police brutality starts. We have no idea what happened before, for all we know that guy could have just threw a rock into the police then run or something like that. Or it could have happened like you said the guy didnt want to be pushed. Oh, and he was not kicked that was a trip, body language tells us a lot if we know what to look for.

Now the 2nd video is quite telling. That the man was not run over is very clear to see. The scooter was moving like 1m/h. If he had been it was because he threw himself in front of it. The whole incident was totally staged. The protester wasnt even in front of the police officer. He just laid down and started writhing in pain like he had been hit. You can even see the cop move around him, (the cop rolled by smooth, no bump) but the guy kicked his leg under the scooter. Did you not notice the 15 people with cameras? And not one of them tried to help him. Lol. Because he didnt need help, because he wasnt ran over. However I will say that it's nice to see a video where the person holding the camera is not screaming like a complete idiot, well there still is an idiot screaming though so I guess it's not that different.

You kind of just helped me prove my point that Ive been trying to make this whole time that these videos and pictures tell us nothing.

I remember in my first psychology class when my teacher was talking about bias thought and how our biases effect how we see things. He showed us a video of a cop hitting a guy and knocking him out (a lot like the first video in the link). He then asked us if it was police brutality or not. Most said it was which I think is what most here would say as well. He then showed us the whole video where you see the guy holding a woman at knife point, stabbing her, then trying to run, which is when the cop hits him to stop him. It showed us what Im trying to say, when videos are seen out of context, we can see many things that the person showing us the video wants us to see, but rarely the truth.

Edited by Odin11

It isn't true, crime has been going down almost consistently since the mid 80s. It went up a little in a couple years ago, but then started going back down again.

Are you sure? Did you include the children in foster care?

I agree. Even with the recession, crime has continued to drop. Percentage-wise anyway.

1318749595263.jpg

I'm curious what is not stated in those pics/cuttings? Did the CEO cooperate with authorities and help take down other corrupt bankers/officials? Did the homeless man have any prior convictions?

Did some digging around and there is no mention anywhere of prior convictions. It looks like the local DA really was pushing for convictions in order to have cred to get re-elected.

Probably Brown got so much time because, what he did was imply that he had a gun, which is a slightly higher level crime then simply stealing, which is what Allen effectively did. If Brown had just stood around and then grabbed a $100 bill off a customer and ran, he probably would not even be going to prison, but would be free with Time Served.

All six received credit on their sentences for cooperating with investigators and testifying at Farkas' trial.

"Mr. Allen's sentence reflects his ultimate cooperation with this investigation...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/mortgage-fraud-ceo-prison-paul-allen_n_881946.html

Edited by DieChecker

Perhaps judges should read Crime of punishment by Carl Menninger before giving a sentence

Yeah, let's base our legal system on a book. Next, perhaps Farenheit 451, 1984, or Starship Troopers!! Or better yet, Lord of the Flies!

I remember in my first psychology class when my teacher was talking about bias thought and how our biases effect how we see things. He showed us a video of a cop hitting a guy and knocking him out (a lot like the first video in the link). He then asked us if it was police brutality or not. Most said it was which I think is what most here would say as well. He then showed us the whole video where you see the guy holding a woman at knife point, stabbing her, then trying to run, which is when the cop hits him to stop him. It showed us what I’m trying to say, when videos are seen out of context, we can see many things that the person showing us the video wants us to see, but rarely the truth.

The same thing happened with the entire nation with the 1:20 (80 second) Rodney King beating video that CLEARLY shows the man getting the tar kicked out of him and some horrid police brutality.

It's a shame that the media didn't show the NINE MINUTE tape where he was refusing police commands, threatening the police, advancing on the police in a threatening manner AND being Tazed twice - and ripping the leads out of himself the second time. The short video didn't show him on the ground as the police were attempting to hand-cuff him and fighting them off, punching and kicking them. It didn't show the cops pulling back to keep from being assaulted again and to keep from injuring Mr. King. The newscasts also very calmly ignored the fact that his blood alcohol content was over DOUBLE the legal limit, and that he was high on PCP.

And when the edited video came out, the cops were the bad guys.

The media disgusts me.

Has to be more to the story. The idea that dozens of people were arrest for only trying to close their account smells rather badly. It really just makes no sense.

Yeah, let's base our legal system on a book. Next, perhaps Farenheit 451, 1984, or Starship Troopers!! Or better yet, Lord of the Flies!

Do you have any idea of who Carl Meinninger is? Don't think so... look it up.. he started the Meininger foundation in Topeka KS several years ago.

Do you have any idea of who Carl Meinninger is? Don't think so... look it up.. he started the Meininger foundation in Topeka KS several years ago.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with Karl Menninger... I have a minor in psychology and studied him quite a bit.

His theses are all pretty amazing - if you live in a world where psychological care is totally free and there are unlimited numbers of providers and you don't really mind when someone fails to achieve success in treatment. We mocked him for his uber-rose-colored-glasses outlook.

Treating criminals as if they are psychiatrically ill is a wonderful idea - _IF_ we don't mind "sentences" being for 100+ TIMES longer than punative sentencing. If you steal a loaf of bread, the courts may put you on six months of probation - BUT with Menninger's idea, you should be treated for mental defect, which could mean YEARS of treatment. So what do we do for you in the meanwhile?

Oh, but WAIT!! There's MORE!

Those poor criminals aren't REALLY mentally ill - they are POSSESSED BY DEMONS!!

Give me a break! You really want to base a criminal justice system on the rantings of a whacked out psychiatrist that based what he believed in the BIBLE and that mental illness was because of demonic possession?

Perhaps you will understand my earlier post... I wasn't just poking fun at basing the system on a book - I was being NICE by not calling him a nut-job, and was only poking fun at the book. Sorry - he's a NUT JOB. And this comes from a guy that came two classes shy of having my BA in Psychology. This guy is more disturbing than Skinner and Freud!

He started the Menninger Foundation more than "several" years ago - he's been dead for over 20 years. It was founded in 1919.

(EDITED to fix a typo)

Edited by Travelling Man