Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
susieice

Indy 500 Winner Killed

susieice

Just saw this on the news but I think it happened yesterday. Whelden was killed in a fiery 15 car crash at a race in Las Vegas. Two-time winner of the Indy 500, the video of the crash is horrendous. Three other drivers remain hospitalized but their injuries aren't expected to be life threatening. RIP.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/44923199/ns/sports-motor_sports/

Edited by susieice

Andami

It actually happened today. My dad was watching the race when the wreck occurred. It was obvious that at least some of the drivers had been wounded or killed by the flying scrap and cars on fire :(

susieice

Thanks for clarifying that. I was rather confused for a minute. This was the first I heard of it and it's in all the news stations breaking news, yet the NBC link is dated October 15. That was yesterday. Thought maybe they held off releasing it until today. The pictures in CNN don't really show the crash but the aftermath. You have to wonder how anyone could have survived a crash of this magnitude. It says a lot for how those cars are built.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/10/16/nr-dan-wheldon-killed-in-indycar-race.cnn

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Sad loss for British Motorsport and a driver few in the UK probably knew much about.With any luck,his loss may make the Indy series come forward from the dark ages and start to think about the drivers safety as F1 does nowadays...RIP...:(

Edited by BrianPotter