Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

48 predator animals escape in Ohio

Stonecoldvampzy

Dozens of predator animals have escaped a Zoo in Ohio where the owner has been found dead. No reports are out about how he passed away. Current details on the escaped animals are atleast one of each: Lions, Bears, Cheatas and Wolfs and Tigers. It is not known how many of wich species have escaped.

I am currently still searching for a english news link as I saw this on the Dutch news.

There is however a interview with a local police office posted on youtube linked here

Lets hope this ends well :S

Edited by StonecoldVampzy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Myles

• Michelle

• MissMelsWell

It is sad that he passed, sad the animals escaped and I hope the best comes of this.

I also hope that they catch all the animals, as we do not need a thread about "big cats of Ohio" soon.. (aside from the cougars)

Surely these animals were kept secure?. Therefore the passing of the owner should not have made any difference other than the animals maybe staving in their secure enclosures. Who let them out?

On a similar note, dozens of crocodiles were freed accidentally here in Thailand when flood waters rose sufficiently for them to escape! :unsure2:

Surely these animals were kept secure?. Therefore the passing of the owner should not have made any difference other than the animals maybe staving in their secure enclosures. Who let them out?

On a similar note, dozens of crocodiles were freed accidentally here in Thailand when flood waters rose sufficiently for them to escape! :unsure2:

Yeah agreed they must have been let out. Question rises to who did it? Surely no one would be stupid enough to let all these run free. Maybe a failed theft attempt?

They are saying now the man killed himself and may have let them loose beforehand. 35 of the animals have been killed.

I am currently still searching for a english news link as I saw this on the Dutch news.

Lets hope this ends well :S

Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said his deputies had shot dead 25 of the 48 animals that escaped

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8836376/Lions-tigers-cheetahs-and-grizzly-bears-on-the-loose-in-Ohio.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8835903/Ohio-residents-warned-as-agressive-wild-animals-including-lions-and-bears-escape-zoo.html

So they just shot them? No animal control? No effort to capture them? No traps? No lures? No? Just straight to the guns then? Gotcha, that's wonderful... :unsure:

I understand needing to protect the populace, but there must have been a better way to handle this.

Edited by Verneph

Thank you Still Waters :) . Couldnt find any links of my own.

Edited by StonecoldVampzy

Dozens of predator animals have escaped a Zoo in Ohio where the owner has been found dead.

Ok, who played Jumanji??

You've been told over and over not to.

Another reason to not allow large exotic animals into the country by legal or illegal means.:no:

From the latest news (watching it on Fox news now) the guy was a scumbag and neglected his animals. They brought in Jack Hanna to help with the situation and his team says the place is disgusting. I'm not sad that he's dead, it is sad that these animals are going to be killed due to an idiot and the local police who are trigger happy on safari instead of dealing with the situation. Idiot humans all around an as usual it's animals who suffer.

The owner took his own life. Everything in that town is closed.

Kratos: I heard that there has been multiple reports against the guy. I didn't hear about the neglected animals though.

Edited by Princess Serenity

Another reason to not allow large exotic animals into the country by legal or illegal means.:no:

The previous govenor had signed an executive order making it illegal to keep these animals. But the current goveror ( Kasich ) let it expire. He's going to have some explaining to do.

And this happened last night. Once it got dark, law enforcement didn't take any chances with trying to trap or corral the animals. Their first priority is to protect the public.

And that meant killing the animals. Sad, but the right thing to do. Better a dead bear than a dead child.

Lots of Chupacabra reports will probably be coming out soon from this part of Ohio, as people don't recognize animals outside of zoos for some reason.

It's so sad so many of them had to be shot and killed. Heartbreaking. However, we're talking about a smallish town, with a limited police force, limited animal control and I'm sure not enough sedative dart guns or supplies to go around for everyone that would have needed them. Unfortunately, this may have been the only way to deal with the situation. How sad. How dare that idiot keep those kinds of animals in the first place, much less terrorize the community and the animals because he was angry, depressed or whatever.

I'm going to guess this goofball got in over his head as so many animal hoarders will. He likely felt like he couldn't put the word out that he couldn't care for these animals for fear that he'd be fined and thrown in jail for their condition and their living conditions. Still, if he were a man, he'd have contacted zoos to come and take the animals. Most zoos would. Especially those bengal tigers who are so rare; only 1400 known to be left in the world.

The whole thing is just tragic, for everyone and for the animals.

It's so sad so many of them had to be shot and killed. Heartbreaking. However, we're talking about a smallish town, with a limited police force, limited animal control and I'm sure not enough sedative dart guns or supplies to go around for everyone that would have needed them. Unfortunately, this may have been the only way to deal with the situation. How sad. How dare that idiot keep those kinds of animals in the first place, much less terrorize the community and the animals because he was angry, depressed or whatever.

I'm going to guess this goofball got in over his head as so many animal hoarders will. He likely felt like he couldn't put the word out that he couldn't care for these animals for fear that he'd be fined and thrown in jail for their condition and their living conditions. Still, if he were a man, he'd have contacted zoos to come and take the animals. Most zoos would. Especially those bengal tigers who are so rare; only 1400 known to be left in the world.

The whole thing is just tragic, for everyone and for the animals.

Agreed.

Do they not have tranquilizers?

This is sad...

Hanna defended the sheriff's decision to kill the animals but said the deaths of the Bengal tigers were especially tragic. There are only about 1,400 of the endangered cats left in the world, he said.

"When I heard 18, I was still in disbelief," he said. "The most magnificent creature in the entire world, the tiger is."

http://news.yahoo.com/lions-tigers-shot-ohio-owner-freed-them-212126865.html

-------------

Weird they were able to catch the leopards but they had to shoot all the bengal tigers. Nearing 7 billion humans and we couldn't have a few people stay indoors for a few days while they were trapped? Knee jerk reaction was to shoot first it would seem.

From the latest news (watching it on Fox news now) the guy was a scumbag and neglected his animals. They brought in Jack Hanna to help with the situation and his team says the place is disgusting. I'm not sad that he's dead, it is sad that these animals are going to be killed due to an idiot and the local police who are trigger happy on safari instead of dealing with the situation. Idiot humans all around an as usual it's animals who suffer.

Actually from what I've read and seen, the animals were all taken care of quite well. The guy who killed himself was known as a good man and had many friends who still stand up for him.

Jack Hanna said that the police did the right thing. I'm not sure if that is true. Did they shoot any camels or a Giraffe? If so then we would know they were just trigger happy.

Weird they were able to catch the leopards but they had to shoot all the bengal tigers. Nearing 7 billion humans and we couldn't have a few people stay indoors for a few days while they were trapped? Knee jerk reaction was to shoot first it would seem.

It's hard to say without living there and having kids who live there.

Again.... If I say anything... I'll get modsmacked.. -.-

Agreed.

Do they not have tranquilizers?

Yes, they DO have tranquilizers.

What happens when a huge cat gets shot with a big, honking dart? They run. In a cage, there isn't a problem. Out in the wilderness, however, there is a HUGE problem.

It was DARK - if a tiger gets tranqued and runs, odds are the cops will lose it in the darkness. Then what?

How many innocent civilians and domesticated animals are acceptable losses for you so that these animals could live? I bet I could find a family that lost their loved one that would argue against your "acceptable number".

It's a shame - but it's the only thing they could do and still keep the public safe.

It is heartbreaking...

Obviously the man didn't care about the animals or he wouldn't have let them loose.

It is heartbreaking...

Obviously the man didn't care about the animals or he wouldn't have let them loose.

It is so sad how so many people only care about themselves. 'this is a tragedy.

I am so close to this.

i just wish they could have taken care of it without violence.