Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viking chief's burial ship found in Scotland

Keel M.

An ancient 1000-year-old Viking chieftan's burial ship has been found on a Scottish peninsula.

A Viking ship, which for 1,000 years has held the body of a chieftain, with his shield on his chest and his sword and spear by his side, has been excavated on a remote Scottish peninsula – the first undisturbed Viking ship burial found on the British mainland.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

• Swadwa

• Muenzenhamster

• BrandOfAmber

neat!

One of the touchy historical subjects for me is archeology. Archeologists are in the same category as meteorologists to me – all too often WRONG, especially when it comes to interpreting ancient ceremonial practices from dig sites. They base their interpretations on a foundation of other miss-interpretations from other cultural finds often bastardized by interpreters incorporating Organized Religion concepts into them. I won’t get into the terrible VIOLATION and cultural taboo of what is nothing more than grave robbing in the name of science. Nothing worse, in my opinion, then someone finding an ancient grave site, and archeologists behaving like a plague of locusts desecrating the grave in the name of science. If you want to know what ancient native cultures did, ask their living native descendants. And if there are no living descendants, then there is no way to verify archeological claims anyway so again you’re left with violating grave sites.

One of the touchy historical subjects for me is archeology. Archaeologists are in the same category as meteorologists to me all too often WRONG, especially when it comes to interpreting ancient ceremonial practices from dig sites. They base their interpretations on a foundation of other miss-interpretations from other cultural finds often bastardized by interpreters incorporating Organized Religion concepts into them. I won't get into the terrible VIOLATION and cultural taboo of what is nothing more than grave robbing in the name of science. Nothing worse, in my opinion, then someone finding an ancient grave site, and archaeologists behaving like a plague of locusts desecrating the grave in the name of science. If you want to know what ancient native cultures did, ask their living native descendants. And if there are no living descendants, then there is no way to verify archaeological claims anyway so again you're left with violating grave sites.

Asking living descendants could only really happen in civilizations from recent times.It could never work where people have been living and existing for thousands of years,like in the case of the find in the article.This is our history and heritage and archaeologists nowadays are extremely respectful of any cremation pits or graves that they find during excavations.They also do not have a free reign to dig where they like and governed by the National Trust organization who limit them to what they can and can not do.

Edited by BrianPotter

Extremely respectful??? Raiding graves of cultures who believed it was taboo to do - I wouldn't call that respect! Also, if Organized Religion (The Church) didn't wipe out those cultures in the first place, you still could have descendants to talk too.

Edited by Swadwa

Extremely respectful??? Raiding graves of cultures who believed it was taboo to do - I wouldn't call that respect! Also, if Organized Religion (The Church) didn't wipe out those cultures in the first place, you still could have descendants to talk too.

You have no comprehension of European archeology...any graves that are dug and cleaned are reburied in a more suitable place which isn't the same for graves that are dug over and over again by agricultural farming which sometimes brings the bones to the surface...which would you prefer in that scenario....?....also the vikings were not wiped out by the church so who knows where you got that from.Maybe the Americas do not have such a vast past as Europe so I'll put it down to that....

Edited by BrianPotter

Lets see, have my bones intentionally dug up and examined then buried in a Christian graveyard, or accidentally disturbed by someone plowing a field. I'll take the second one thank you. And by the way, if you're talking white America doesn't have a vast history? I would agree, but us Native Americans have an extensive history. Thank you.

Lets see, have my bones intentionally dug up and examined then buried in a Christian graveyard, or accidentally disturbed by someone plowing a field. I'll take the second one thank you. And by the way, if you're talking white America doesn't have a vast history? I would agree, but us Native Americans have an extensive history. Thank you.

Well the vikings actually changed religion by there own choice to Christianity so i dont see your point.Its widely thought now that they pillaged Christian churches for the wealth they contained and not through hatred of the religion....we found this out by archeology...hence why its good to learn about old civilizations via this method.I didn't mean any disrespect to you about native American history and i apologise if it came across that way....it was meant about the rest of Americas history or lack of it.Most ancient burial sites through our history do get shown respect and are often kept as shrines by later civilizations which makes them good places to excavate,where allowed,to find out more about about our history.I do understand your point and i think you are looking at it from maybe your elders burial grounds..(??) not being shown respect through time but it doesn't work that way in European Archeology

Edited by BrianPotter

Conversion to Christianity (Organized Religion) has gone on since it's origin, and is a major contributing factor to the destruction to many native cultures, including the Celts and Vikings. It still happens today with missionaries, who by have control over the economic and political situation of these natives and if they do not conform, strong arm them by denying those families food, medicine, etc. Let's not even talk about the Inquisition. Yes the Church has gone a long way to destroy cultures.

Conversion to Christianity (Organized Religion) has gone on since it's origin, and is a major contributing factor to the destruction to many native cultures, including the Celts and Vikings. It still happens today with missionaries, who by have control over the economic and political situation of these natives and if they do not conform, strong arm them by denying those families food, medicine, etc. Let's not even talk about the Inquisition. Yes the Church has gone a long way to destroy cultures.

The Vikings changed of there own free will....not by strong arm tactics.I cant see what your point is regarding modern day archeology because we dont have the luxury of space to just let ancient burial grounds stay and do nothing to them..Better that they are excavated and shown respect than be dug over by tractors or buildings being built upon them..

Yes, we would like to think that, that people convert of their own free will. As far as the Vikings and other traditional European cultures the truth is that the kings where persuaded by money and wealth from the church, and who in turn, CONVINCED their people through manipulative and forceful means, however, the people continued to practice there traditional ways in secret for a while until finally giving up because local churches had so much political powers.

Edited by Swadwa

Yes, we would like to think that, that people convert of their own free will. As far as the Vikings and other traditional European cultures the truth is that the kings where persuaded by money and wealth from the church, and who in turn, CONVINCED their people through manipulative and forceful means, however, the people continued to practice there traditional ways in secret for a while until finally giving up because local churches had so much political powers.

The vikings raided the churches for its wealth anyway so they have had it without converting to a different religion.....anyway the thread is about archeology and not the church so i ain't bothering with you anymore

• 4 weeks later...

Well the vikings actually changed religion by there own choice to Christianity so i dont see your point.Its widely thought now that they pillaged Christian churches for the wealth they contained and not through hatred of the religion....we found this out by archeology...hence why its good to learn about old civilizations via this method.I didn't mean any disrespect to you about native American history and i apologise if it came across that way....it was meant about the rest of Americas history or lack of it.Most ancient burial sites through our history do get shown respect and are often kept as shrines by later civilizations which makes them good places to excavate,where allowed,to find out more about about our history.I do understand your point and i think you are looking at it from maybe your elders burial grounds..(??) not being shown respect through time but it doesn't work that way in European Archeology

OMG you are so very wrong.

The Vikings (and in fact all of Norway and Sweden) were forced into Christianity. Have you even heard of the Heimskringla? Or the Saga of the Norse Kings?

You may be white, and you may be European, however you clearly have absolutely no clue about Norse history.

- Brand of Amber

(A White American who apparently knows more about his heritage than you...)