Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious translucent jelly found

Still Waters

The Lake District fells have been invaded by 'The Blob', a translucent jelly which is said in folklore to be from outer space.

Within the past week the mysterious translucent jelly has materialised in and around the fells of Patterdale, Cumbria.

While some put the mysterious goo down to meteor showers, others say the strange substance appears during rutting season.

A similar incident inspired the film 'The Blob' when in 1950 four policemen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, came across a huge disk of quivering jelly which measured six feet in diameter.

But unlike the hit 1958 horror film starring Steve McQueen these blobs don't terrorise the community and there have been no reports of any other supernatural behaviour.

The substance is known as 'Star Jelly' and some say is left over from meteor showers but its sporadic appearance around the world has continually dumb-founded scientists.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FlyingAngel

• Still Waters

• JGirl

• WhiteButterfly

Well..a simple test of the substance should be able to determine if it is biological in nature or not and it should be easily ascertained if it is a bodily secretion too.

Science isn't that hopeless.

Why start in on silly, "it came from outer space" theories? Just get a sample and test it. Is it really that hard?

:o Its an alien embrio :D:D:D

Well..a simple test of the substance should be able to determine if it is biological in nature or not and it should be easily ascertained if it is a bodily secretion too.

Science isn't that hopeless.

Why start in on silly, "it came from outer space" theories? Just get a sample and test it. Is it really that hard?

It's not because you can find its biological nature that you can find its origin or know how it's produced.

Edited by FlyingAngel

Go to the hills with a container and a small cooler with ice. Collect some and bring it to the nearest university to analyze. There are analytical techniques that can tell what this stuff is chemically. From that we can get an idea of the source. We just need some prepared people finding these blobs.

Interesting.

I'm sure some people are already working on solving this mystery. I can't wait for the results. :)

strangely enough, I passed some of this material in a small field three weeks back, it struck a chord as I can recall reading about it years back in an old ufo magazine, it was there a week back and probably is still there its only 40m from my home, can get pics samples.

Can't remember exactly where this is from; probably one of Charles Fort's books. Star rot or pwdre ser has been around for a long time.

…an extract from a letter by Mr. Robert Vans, of Kilkenny, Ireland, dated Nov 15, 1695: that there had been ‘of late,’ in the counties of Limerick and Tipperary, showers of a sort of matter like butter or grease … having ‘a very stinking smell’. There follows an extract from a letter by the Bishop of Cloyne, upon ‘a very odd phenomenon,’ which was observed in Munster and Leinster: that for a good part of the spring of 1695 there fell a substance which the country people called ‘butter’ – soft, clammy and of a dark yellow’ – that cattle fed ‘indifferently’ in fields where this substance lay.

There's a Wiki page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_jelly

Scientists commissioned by the National Geographic Society have carried out tests on samples found in the United States, but have failed to find any DNA in the material.

Personnally, I'm not sure what the heck it is. Maybe some chemical that falls off planes... de-ice chemicals reacting with cold temps and water?

Manna? Does it taste like milk and honey?

Study Finds the Air Rich with Bacteria

Griffin.jpg

“We want to determine the background levels of airborne pathogens and other microbes because only very limited work has been conducted on cataloging organisms in the air,” says Andersen. “This work underscores how much we don’t know about airborne bacterial populations, or where the bacteria come from.”

In the past, scientists relied on bacterial cultures to determine what microbes are present in an air sample. In this method, the culture media is exposed to the sample, and whatever grows is counted. Unfortunately, this approach leaves out all of the organisms that can’t survive in the culture, which in some cases is as much as 99 percent of the bacteria in a sample. ARTICLE LINK

We should look at this in terms of it an accumulation of airborne bacteria. It is unlikely that the research that is being conducted by the entity in the article able, is likely to rouse the public, or produce anything of value before the end, of the world.

It is also likely that the "star-jelly" is the result, of exorbitant amounts of energy that has caused certain forms of harmless bacteria to multiple and die at accelerated rates, and giving it the appearance that it came out of no where. Because it fell from the sky, and disperses relatively quickly. Given the time frame of the end, its not practical that aliens like the ones described guiding the hebrews would attempt to feed the people. Their journey took years, that generation, this generation's journey will take days and a month at most.

There certainly is a lot of biblical and ufology evidence to conclude this matter, does not begin by the processes of the earth revolving around the sun.

(edit) you have vehicles, they had nothing...

Edited by Mystery001

"Star Jelly" I wonder what flavour :unsure: raspberry perhaps :P

the 'mysterious' jelly isn't new, there have been lots of reports over the years.

i'm more freaked about the frogs and fish and other creatures that fall out of the sky!

"Star Jelly" I wonder what flavour :unsure: raspberry perhaps :P

Uhhh...star flavored of course...duh! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Mysterious translucent jelly?

"Oh well I can see that you finally found my wife/husband." says the guy/woman.

Note that I was equally mean to both sexes. :P

What say you on this topic Mr. Dunning:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4299

My summation on star jelly is that it's a mistake to consider it a single phenomenon. Every case of some jellylike slime found on the ground is unique, and should be treated as such. There are so many possibilities; every given case, on visual and tactile data alone, offers at least two or three possibilities from Earth's own taxonomic kingdoms. Is any star jelly actually from the stars? Maybe some of it is, but it would be the exception not the rule; and has yet to be supported with evidence.