Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Castle in West Virginia

Intranquil

Rumor has it, that there is an "Unknown Castle" built in Warrenton WV. Every owner who has lived there, has apparently died. It's called unknown castle, I guess, because it's original owner is not known. Neither is why it was built or when.

I figured urban legends was the best place for this, although it could all be fake.

I'll post a link in the next post below this one to where I got this information from. If anyone knows anything about it, feel free to speak out. I'm rather close to this area and would love to venture out there one day if it is indeed real.

I decided to just take a look on Google's sat. view of the area, following US 55 from Wardensville, WV toward Winchester and saw nothing even moderately resembling an incomplete castle. That's the only thing I could think to do because I see no other information anywhere.

How strange. I've lived in WV my entire life and have never heard of a castle being there. This is really interesting though. I'll check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, one very big one... There is no Warrenton, WV, which might explain why I've never heard of it.

There is a Warrenton in Virginia, though, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Edited by Fate_happens

Well, Fate, if you read the original story on the link provided by Intranquil and in that same post, you will see that he mentioned the wrong location. The location is Wardensville, WV, which does exist. So your update isn't an update at all.

Well, Fate, if you read the original story on the link provided by Intranquil and in that same post, you will see that he mentioned the wrong location. The location is Wardensville, WV, which does exist. So your update isn't an update at all.

Jeez, calm down, my mistake. Excuse my nonworld-shattering post

• Like 3

Searching has only come up with a very conspicuous castle, but in Berkeley Springs WV. Most assuredly not the right one. I do not know the area, but I figured, throw it out... at worst, you'll be wrong (nothing surprising, as I am sure I am wrong), at best, who knows?

Berkeley Springs Castle

EDIT: Oh, I am a fool, they mentioned it could not be the Berkeley Castle. Sorry for that. Still looking up info beyond that little blurb.

Edited by RedSquirrel

After taking a spin on Google earth, checking it's back dates, reading the website available and cross checking.. I have found nothing. I failed you. I apologize and will now commit sepukku. -splortch-

UNKNOWN CASTLE ??

I heard a rumor that someone is starting to build a castle in or near Winchester. Does anyone have any information about it? Any info would be appreciated.

I received E-Mail that said:

I live in Winchester' date=' VA. Just outside of Winchester on Rt. 55, toward Wardensville, WV, I have seen on top of the mountain, what appears to be a huge castle someone is building. I have lived in this area all of my life, and other than the Berkeley Castle in Berkeley Springs, WV, this is the only one I've seen. It is high up on a mountain, not easily visible from the road. It appears to be constructed of stone. The last I saw it in the winter, it appeared to have 2 large round towers at either end. If you are interested in taking a ride out there, it is probably about a 60 mile trip from Berkeley Springs.

On 10-15-09, I received e-mail that said:

The castle you are referring to is not being built, but has been built for awhile. This castle is and to all knowledge empty. Every owner has died from mysterious happenings. The last owner just lost brakes and drove off a cliff. The castle is to have been in winchester for over 100 years or more it has never been completed on the account of all the owners keep dying.

[/quote']

Dupont Castle of 'Sir Reginald' ???

But

Jim Dupont

170 Castle Hill Way

Berkeley Springs, WV 25411

http://www.dupontcastle.com/faq.htm

------------

Castle Hill Way

castlehillway.jpg

http://g.co/maps/ndwjh

-------------

Now,,,vanishinggg ,,, <_<

castlehillwayyyy.jpg

hankk.jpg

vanishedcastle.jpg

-----------

Note, There is another (abandoned) Dupont Castle at Roscoe, NY

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/states/new-york

Edited by bugdaddy

After taking a spin on Google earth, checking it's back dates, reading the website available and cross checking.. I have found nothing. I failed you. I apologize and will now commit sepukku. -splortch-

Ha ha, like it ;)

Ha ha, like it ;)

I assure you... "I got better". I am o.k. now.

• 1 year later...

Yes there is an unfinished castle in West Virginia......it is located in Wheeling, West Virginia in North Park......it was built on a historical site called McCullugh's Leap. The man responsible for the castle is unknown. The city of Wheeling can not do anything with the property or the castle because despite not knowing who owns it, the land and city taxes are paid every year by person or persons unknown. The castle site is also on another landmark.....below the castle is the Blaw-Knox iron Foundry where during WWII they made tank tops and other military hardware. Believe it or not there is an underground tunnel from Blaw-Knox that extends all the way to Wheeling Island which is on the other side of the Ohio river.......yes you guessed it...the tunnel runs underneath the river.

I get the unshakable feeling that this may be a hoax. Mostly because while the specific castle you're talking about isn't mentioned here, it definitely reeks of the same style of hoax. Even the location fits.

Mt. Wood House (The castle), Rt 40 East&West Acsessable on Mt. Wood Rd. Just North on Stone Blvd., ☎ no phone. Open Dawn to Dusk. Mt. Wood Overlook is called "The Castle" by locals or "Stone House" to some people. It was going to be a house until the owner's wife had died so he was heartbroken and stopped biulding it and sold it to the city and opened it to the public. And is Free

seems like a load of hooey to me...

Yes there is an unfinished castle in West Virginia......it is located in Wheeling, West Virginia in North Park......it was built on a historical site called McCullugh's Leap. The man responsible for the castle is unknown. The city of Wheeling can not do anything with the property or the castle because despite not knowing who owns it, the land and city taxes are paid every year by person or persons unknown. The castle site is also on another landmark.....below the castle is the Blaw-Knox iron Foundry where during WWII they made tank tops and other military hardware. Believe it or not there is an underground tunnel from Blaw-Knox that extends all the way to Wheeling Island which is on the other side of the Ohio river.......yes you guessed it...the tunnel runs underneath the river.

Any sources on this? Google is throwing up nothing useful when I try searching for an unfinished castle with unknown owner(s) in Wheeling, West Virginia which has it's taxes paid for by person or persons unknown. Any sort of refined search just links me back to your post here. Other search results have nothing to do with such a mysterious castle in West Virginia.

Are there even taxes to be paid on land that has no records of anyone owning it?

Edited by Archimedes

• 2 months later...

I've lived in WV for a good chunk of my life, and been all over the state. I don't know that I've ever heard this legend before. It seems like it's something that someone would say abou ta place they've never been.

"All of china is rice fields, Africa is a giant jungle, Australia is one big desert" Like that, but on a much smaller, white trashy scale

Love that site about the Dupont Castle. It's very funny.

• 3 years later...

I created an account on this website specifically to shed some light on this. As someone who has lived in Wheeling for nearly 14 years there is a stone building or "castle" near Mt. Wood Cemetery. Here is a link to a website talking about it and even has some pictures. http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mount-wood-castle-and-cemetery 

It is covered in graffiti but its still here.