Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if abortion became a non-issue?

Persia

Washington (CNN) -- What's the most emotional and divisive issue in American politics?

Abortion, right?

Just this weekend, former Republican front-runner Rick Perry used the abortion issue to slam current Republican front-runner Herman Cain at the Iowa Faith and Freedom forum.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/24/opinion/frum-abortion-issue/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Persia

• Keel M.

• MstrMsn

• Sandy Price

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington (CNN) -- What's the most emotional and divisive issue in American politics?

Abortion, right?

Just this weekend, former Republican front-runner Rick Perry used the abortion issue to slam current Republican front-runner Herman Cain at the Iowa Faith and Freedom forum.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/24/opinion/frum-abortion-issue/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Persia, back in 1999, the Republican Party changed their platform to accept the Christian agenda of no gay marriages, no abortions for any reason and they sweetened the deal by offering the churches federal grants. This was the only way Governor G. W. Bush of Texas could have won the election in 2000. He was not a smart man and in order to get through the primaries told the world that he was a Born Again Christian. Over the years there were many petitions and pledges signed by all candidates running for Republican positions that the first order was to sign the Susan B. Anthony pledge to ban all abortions and gay marriages. It is a long story of the Christianizing of America and Bush 43 managed to screw up the GOP.

I met with many Republicans in Atlanta Georgia prior to the election and actually met no one who wanted the choice of abortions to be left to the women. I realized that the time of free thinking and equality for all Americans was a pile of horse pucky and the Christians were on the war path with all Americans. It was a very large group of Libertarians and Republicans and the purpose was to blend the two into one party of individual freedoms. It got very nasty and I told of my mother's abortion when she had been accepted by the Iturbi family to tour Spain in double piano concert all over Spain. She had worked for 20 years for an opportunity like this one. This was before I was born and my mother discovered she was pregnant. She had an abortion and had a fabulous concert series. When she returned home she and my father managed to get pregnant and I was born. My mother had studied all phases of music and was on the staff at USC. I was born in 1933 and before that no pregnant women left the house. I was hissed off the stage and left the GOP in disgust.

The only reason abortions are banned is due to the pressure from the Religious Right. We find ourselves today so overpopulated where babies are no longer cherished.

Haven't we already had a trial for abortion? Isn't that what Roe v. Wade was all about?

If abortion ever becomes this non-issue - which I personally doubt very much - I don't think it will become so in the same way as prohibition became a non-issue.

Haven't we already had a trial for abortion? Isn't that what Roe v. Wade was all about?

If abortion ever becomes this non-issue - which I personally doubt very much - I don't think it will become so in the same way as prohibition became a non-issue.

Unfortunately, many people seem to overlook that fact.

However, it doesn't specify what types of abortions are allowed (like using it for birth control), nor does it specify what age the patient has to be (like a 13 year old without parental consent). Things like those are why abortion is still an issue.

When it becomes a "non-issue" people'll just find another thing to beat people up about.

Iain M Banks created a society in his Culture where gender and sex are flexible on whim - the people thus "look down" somewhat on those who've never had a "gender bender" or slept with someone of their own gender.