Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bacteria Fighting Mom Banned From McDonald’s

__Kratos__

An Arizona mom who has been banned from eight McDonald’s restaurants because she kept swabbing their play areas in a search for bacteria says she won’t let it keep her from her anti-bacteria campaign.

Erin Carr-Jordan, a university professor specializing in adolescent development, received a hand-delivered letter from a lawyer on Monday listing eight McDonald’s locations where she is no longer welcome.

“It doesn’t mean much to me personally,” Carr-Jordan told ABCNews.com. “I’ve gotten positive responses from parents who said, ‘Hey, I’m not banned, give me swabs!’”

Carr-Jordan, who is a mother of four in Chandler, Ariz., said all eight of the locations are owned by Ernie Adair, who ABCNews.com could not immediately reach for comment.

Adair’s lawyer, James Stipe, issued a statement to ABCNews.com, alleging that “Dr. Carr-Jordan became disruptive to both his employees and customers, requesting the PlayPlace be shut down and interfering with my client’s place of business.” He continued, “My client takes feedback about his restaurants extremely seriously and is committed to providing a safe, clean restaurant for all his employees and customers.”

Carr-Jordan’s crusade began after she complained to a McDonald’s manager about unsanitary conditions in an indoor play area, and came back a few days later to find nothing had changed.

More of the article here: Source

----------------------------------------

mryuk.png

You'd think they would wash them every now and then. That's just nasty.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FurthurBB

• _Only

• Sakari

• Michelle

Would be interesting to know how actually unsanitary the places were vs. how obsessive compulsive this woman may or may not be.

Swabbing for bacteria? Come on.

Give a bunch of kids food to eat with their hands, then send them into a play area to walk around on their hands and knees, when their fingers aren't in their mouths and noses. The amount of those balls in the ball pit that have gone into a child's mouth would also be interesting to know (I know I've tarnished one or two in my days ^_^ ).

I suppose they could periodically go through all of those plastic tunnels, each ball in the pit, etc. and meticulously disinfect it all, but almost seems heading back into obsessive compulsive territory.

Kids need to build immunities. Stick a plastic ball in your mouth, kid, and help your unknown buddies work on their immune system!

Would be interesting to know how actually unsanitary the places were vs. how obsessive compulsive this woman may or may not be.

Give a bunch of kids food to eat with their hands, then send them into a play area to walk around on their hands and knees, when their fingers aren't in their mouths and noses. The amount of those balls in the ball pit that have gone into a child's mouth would also be interesting to know (I know I've tarnished one or two in my days ^_^ ).

I suppose they could periodically go through all of those plastic tunnels, each ball in the pit, etc. and meticulously disinfect it all, but almost seems heading back into obsessive compulsive territory.

Kids need to build immunities. Stick a plastic ball in your mouth, kid, and help your unknown buddies work on their immune system!

Amen to that...

When I was growing up, if we cut ourselves, we rubbed dirt on it.....No kidding.

I don't think I washed my hands before eating from age 7 to 19, and never became sick from it.

To this day, I consider myself un lucky if I get sick once every two years......I fish, and work hard, all while eating a sandwich with the same hands I just baited a hook with, or wrenched on a piece of equipment with.

Yet, my yuppie brother in law's all use germaphobe ointment on their hands, and spray the house with bleach products, and get sick 5 times more than I do :)

Areas should be regularly cleaned but swabbing for bacteria? She official lost the farm and is likely doing her kids more harm than good.

Haha, maybe the answer is to eliminate indoor playgrounds so that parents that want to take their kids out to eat actually have to deal with their children while out in public.

Also fairly sure most of these fast food restaurants "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, regardless of religion, race, creed, bla bla bla".

A woman who repeatedly goes to numerous restaurants of this chain, with the intent of doing a personal smearing of the companies health standards, by conducting personal swabbing tests would seem a fitting candidate for the restaurant owner to exercise this right.

If she feels there is a problem, she can contact the Board of Health, who can legally and fittingly conduct their own investigation.

Edited by Jerry Only

She should be more worried about what she is putting in her kids instead of what they get on them. :lol:

Amen! There was an article on yahoo the other day about the most bacteria ridden surfaces, and I think it had things on it like ATM machines and parking meters. Nearly every comment was "Eww! I'm going to start carrying around hand sanitizer!"

Really? Just. . .Really? People are so obsessive these days. I guarantee you the majority of those people have never caught a deadly disease from an ATM button before in their life, so why worry about it now? I follow the George Carlin rule of thumb: George Carlin and the fear of germs

Honestly, all of our kids would grow up with crappy immune systems if people like this woman had their way. Then we'd all be wiped out the first time our hand sanitizer failed to kill something nasty. :wacko:

This woman needs to get a grip. Why is she taking her kids to McDs in the first place? Gross. And if she does take them and doesn't like the condition of the play area, don't let the kids play in the play area. Interesting enough though... I have a McDs and a Dairy Queen within a few blocks of my house. BOTH in the last year have removed their play areas and now have picnic tables and landscaping in place of where the play area was. For the neighbors, they sure look a lot nicer.

However, when it comes to indoor play areas, I live in an area where I have friends who take their kids to these places with fairly good frequency (not necessarily fast food restaurants, but actual indoor play areas at malls etc...) I live in Seattle. It rains here all the time, and it's hard to get kids out to exercise and let them go nuts running around for a lot of months of the year. I see the usefulness of these kinds of places... but the ones that are pay by the hour, seem to always be pretty tidy to me... they generally smell like disinfectant. My kid wasn't wild about these places when she was little, that was a little too much chaos for her personally, but I know other kids that love them.

I wonder if this lady runs swabs over her home ... Does she go outside on the porch and swab it before letting her little spudlings go out and play?

I agree with the poster above who said that she should go to the health department if she has a problem with the cleanliness of a public place...

An Arizona mom who has been banned from eight McDonald’s restaurants because she kept swabbing their play areas in a search for bacteria says she won’t let it keep her from her anti-bacteria campaign.

Erin Carr-Jordan, a university professor specializing in adolescent development, received a hand-delivered letter from a lawyer on Monday listing eight McDonald’s locations where she is no longer welcome.

“It doesn’t mean much to me personally,” Carr-Jordan told ABCNews.com. “I’ve gotten positive responses from parents who said, ‘Hey, I’m not banned, give me swabs!’”

Carr-Jordan, who is a mother of four in Chandler, Ariz., said all eight of the locations are owned by Ernie Adair, who ABCNews.com could not immediately reach for comment.

Adair’s lawyer, James Stipe, issued a statement to ABCNews.com, alleging that “Dr. Carr-Jordan became disruptive to both his employees and customers, requesting the PlayPlace be shut down and interfering with my client’s place of business.” He continued, “My client takes feedback about his restaurants extremely seriously and is committed to providing a safe, clean restaurant for all his employees and customers.”

Carr-Jordan’s crusade began after she complained to a McDonald’s manager about unsanitary conditions in an indoor play area, and came back a few days later to find nothing had changed.

More of the article here: Source

----------------------------------------

mryuk.png

You'd think they would wash them every now and then. That's just nasty.

mcdonald's playgrounds are smelly,sweaty, bacteria laden cellpools and i have never let my children or grandchildren in one.

digusting.

mcdonald's playgrounds are smelly,sweaty, bacteria laden cesspools and i have never let my children or grandchildren in one.

digusting.

Sounds like the Department of Motor Vehicles here in California.

mcdonald's playgrounds are smelly,sweaty, bacteria laden cellpools and i have never let my children or grandchildren in one.

digusting.

Just a question......What are public swimming pools than?

Day Care playgrounds?

Or outdoor/indoor School playgrounds?

Or for that matter, any play ground?

What is the difference other than they are in McDonalds?

They are all play areas with snotty nosed kids.....

Pussification of America.........Arghhhhhh

Edited by Sakari

LOL, Pools are a good example of bacteria breeding nastiness... not the pool itself, it's chlorinated within an inch of its life, it's safe... but the decks, locker/changing rooms are generally really nasty.

My sister and I got Impetago from a public swimming pool when we were kids. Blech. But we lived through it... and thats the point. It was good for our immunity the way I sees it.

Sounds like the Department of Motor Vehicles here in California.

lol

and btw thanks for correcting my typo...just noticed that :blush:

Just a question......What are public swimming pools than?

Day Care playgrounds?

Or outdoor/indoor School playgrounds?

Or for that matter, any play ground?

What is the difference other than they are in McDonalds?

They are all play areas with snotty nosed kids.....

Pussification of America.........Arghhhhhh

public swimming pools are almost as bad. i have never seen a kid with crap coming out of his diaper in a public pool as i have at a mcdonald's play area, though.

nevermind about pussification of america. i don't live there.

p.s. you forgot the nasty toys they never wipe down at the dr's office too. :P

Edited by JGirl

Too funny, of course there will be germs around where kids play, they're kids. Walking, talking, germ factories. I've seen so many kids who can't keep their hands out of their mouths and noses, and usually their parents are oblivious.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Gross haha to the swimming pools.

In my home town we have an outdoor swimming hole called the quarry. It's an actual stone quarry that hit water and filled up. It's frigging nasty, and yes you do see crappy diapers on kids and sometimes parents slip them off and drop them where they are- in the water or on the sand. Lots of people get ear infections there :( I don't know what else they might be getting, I haven't been there in years because it was just too gross to go.

i think kids need to be exposed to some germs, to strenthen thier immune systems, sanitising everyhing is diong more harm than good

I found the ladies son....

You know what? Let her keep the kids away from bacteria.

Then, when they grow up and die young from pneumonia or something because their immune systems haven't seen a germ since they were three years old we'll talk about what's actually good for our children.

I love that George Carlin bit, Ghostie put up. :w00t:

I firmly believe that is what is wrong with so many people now. You never used to hear about all of these deadly allergies people have today. The best thing you can do is get your kid a dog. Let the dog roam around the yard eating everything it finds, sticking it's nose in every nasty thing it wants and then it licks the kid in the face. And don't bundle the poor kids up so much in the winter they walk like a mummy. It's no fun...they can't even throw snowballs. When they get too cold they will come in.

oops, double post.

Edited by Michelle

It's frigging nasty, and yes you do see crappy diapers on kids and sometimes parents slip them off and drop them where they are- in the water or on the sand.

Oh my God! :lol:

True, you do need a balance. Using all this antibacterial stuff might be causing the marked increase in life threatening allergies, due to a robust immune system with nothing to do. It could also be leading to more leukemias and lymphomas. Though, children have a harder time fighting off bacterial infections before age 5. Personally, I would keep my children under 5 away from McDonald's in general as much as possible.