Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog drags his owner home after he is knocked

Still Waters

A faithful dog rescued his owner by dragging him home after he was struck by an enormous lightning bolt.

Ian Thomas, 64, was taking his German schnauzer Monty out for an early morning walk when he was struck by a bolt so powerful he would have been killed if he had not been wearing wellington boots.

The bolt threw Mr Thomas, who is the Mayor of Redruth in Cornwall, into the air and knocked him out.

He regained consciousness when five-year-old Monty, who had also been struck, began licking his face.

Mr Thomas struggled to stand but only managed to stagger several paces before he collapsed.

He managed to wrap his arms around Monty, who responded by dragging him the 100 yards home.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocketgirl33

• Beckys_Mom

• libstaK

• FlyingAngel

Good doggie! Good boy! Glad the owner is okay.

Wow, that's one lucky fellow there. If not for the rubber boots and his loyal friend I doubt he'd have lived to tell the tale.

This is why I prefer dogs to cats. :yes:

Don't make the mistake that only dogs can save your life! My granny, bless her soul, had a cat named Skeezicks, we just called him Skeezer for short. We had a Cougar roaming the property (this was in 1997) and on several occations this 100lb cat had made its way into the car port and was eating the dog food. I lived next to my granny about 100 yards from her front door. One evening she was out for a walk to feed my horses some veggies she had saved up for them. She said that before she made it to the big gate to the horse pasture, Skeezer ran between her legs and almost tripped her up, (she was 80 years old at the time)she said she yelled at poor Skeezer but he just kept walking in front of her feet and tripping her! She finally got mad because Skeezer was not letting her go to that gate for nothing! That night when I got home from work she told me what happend and asked me to take the veggies out to my horses. When I got close to the hay stack I noticed the snow around the side of the stack was all mussed up and it caught my attention because it was a fresh snow and granny never made it that far. When I got there I found FRESH cougar tracks! That cat may have been planning on granny over easy for dinner!

Skeezer saved my granny that night and many more after that. That Courgar ended up on our dinner plate instead and he was very yummy! Cats save the lives of their owners too. I think we just don't hear about them as often. Granny and Skeezer are together now, I hope he is still looking after her and maybe she will stop chasing him with the broom! I miss them both very much, Skeezer was uniqie, he would go out in the horse pasture and try to cover all the poop! He hated uncoverd poop! Cats are cool....

Rocketgirl B)

On ya Rocketgirl. I had a cat many years ago that would make a good "life saving pet" candidate.

I had a habit of lighting a candle in the kitchen instead of the overhead light for ambience. This night I went to sleep without blowing it out. The candle smoke caused the smoke alarm to go off but I was so fast asleep I didn't hear it. My cat at the time Casper jumped on my chest and meowed as loud as he could straight into my face. I woke up to his glaring eyes and his nose practically touching mine - he was clearly unimpressed by my lack of response so he may have meowed for awhile before that really loud one. It was only then that the smoke alarm registered in my brain! I jumped up and ran to see where the fire was - only to find it was just the wretched candle which had obviously built up enough smoke after I'd shut the windows and doors to set the sensitive thing off.

Bottom line, I always knew he would be there for me if something went wrong while I slept like the dead - passed on into cat heaven now but I still think of him quite a bit.

On ya Rocketgirl. I had a cat many years ago that would make a good "life saving pet" candidate.

I had a habit of lighting a candle in the kitchen instead of the overhead light for ambience. This night I went to sleep without blowing it out. The candle smoke caused the smoke alarm to go off but I was so fast asleep I didn't hear it. My cat at the time Casper jumped on my chest and meowed as loud as he could straight into my face. I woke up to his glaring eyes and his nose practically touching mine - he was clearly unimpressed by my lack of response so he may have meowed for awhile before that really loud one. It was only then that the smoke alarm registered in my brain! I jumped up and ran to see where the fire was - only to find it was just the wretched candle which had obviously built up enough smoke after I'd shut the windows and doors to set the sensitive thing off.

Bottom line, I always knew he would be there for me if something went wrong while I slept like the dead - passed on into cat heaven now but I still think of him quite a bit.

Awesome! You are NOT going to believe this but, I have a dog named Casper and I got her after she saved the life of my cousin Verona!! Verona and I both had Blue Heeler Cattle dogs, hers was white with black spots and mine was black with white spots. Verona and I ride horses together. One day after riding, I went home and she decided to ride her two year old gelding that she had been trianing. She was alone except for Casper who was just a puppy of 4 months old at the time. Well the hosrse threw her hard and then kicked her in the head. She woke up to Casper licking her in the face and barking at her! Casper also protected her from the horse stepping on her any more. Verona was a mess, broken colar bone, broken shoulder blade, broken ribs and a skull fracture. She was able to call 911 with her cell phone which had some how found its way to her, (i think she had it in her pocket but she thinks Casper went and got it off the horse trialer) When I found out later that day I went to the hospital and she was such a mess! She told me what Casper had done and asked me if I would take care of her while she was in the hospital. To make a long story short, that was 4 years ago and Casper is still with me. Verona comes and sees her all the time and she tells everyone about the little white puppy who saved her life! she is my little baby now and I could not ever think of life without her! I do have a cat too though, his name is Flash, we have had our problems but he loves me and we put up with eachother! He is getting old though, about 14 yrs old now. How long do cats live?

Rocketgirl B)

Awesome! You are NOT going to believe this but, I have a dog named Casper and I got her after she saved the life of my cousin Verona!! Verona and I both had Blue Heeler Cattle dogs, hers was white with black spots and mine was black with white spots. Verona and I ride horses together. One day after riding, I went home and she decided to ride her two year old gelding that she had been trianing. She was alone except for Casper who was just a puppy of 4 months old at the time. Well the hosrse threw her hard and then kicked her in the head. She woke up to Casper licking her in the face and barking at her! Casper also protected her from the horse stepping on her any more. Verona was a mess, broken colar bone, broken shoulder blade, broken ribs and a skull fracture. She was able to call 911 with her cell phone which had some how found its way to her, (i think she had it in her pocket but she thinks Casper went and got it off the horse trialer) When I found out later that day I went to the hospital and she was such a mess! She told me what Casper had done and asked me if I would take care of her while she was in the hospital. To make a long story short, that was 4 years ago and Casper is still with me. Verona comes and sees her all the time and she tells everyone about the little white puppy who saved her life! she is my little baby now and I could not ever think of life without her! I do have a cat too though, his name is Flash, we have had our problems but he loves me and we put up with eachother! He is getting old though, about 14 yrs old now. How long do cats live?

Rocketgirl B)

Aw that is such a lovely coincidence and he makes himself known by getting right in your face like my cat did :w00t: , too cute. Cats generally live between 16 to 20 years average but I do know someone whose cat apparently made it to 25 - not sure if she miscounted but that's the claim and I'll let her believe it.

Aw that is such a lovely coincidence and he makes himself known by getting right in your face like my cat did :w00t: , too cute. Cats generally live between 16 to 20 years average but I do know someone whose cat apparently made it to 25 - not sure if she miscounted but that's the claim and I'll let her believe it.

Well I guess Flash has a way to go, he was born in '98 so I guess that was 13 years ago. He is a huge cat, he weighs alost 21 lbs! I don't know if he would ever save my life but he is a pain in the butt! He licks me and I hate cat licks! They are so tiny and they feel funny! But he knows that and so I think to him it is a game! Well it was nice trading stories with you!

Rocketgirl B)

See, this is WHY they say - Dog is mans best friend yes.gif

Thank you all for the great stories. It's always nice to hear four legged loved ones saving us and vice versa. Award the dog the silver fire hydrant and the cat a silver fish. :yes:

After my spaniel was killed I told my husband no more dogs. Of course he ignored me and brought home a puppy. I'm so glad he did.

Bear now weighs about 100lbs and is my constant companion. Last spring I left him inside as I walked up to the gate to get the mail. It's about 1/8th of a mile from the house to the main gate. Halfway up I hear the front door crash open and here comes Bear. When he got to where I was he started head butting me towards the other side of the drive, really hard.

I don't know how but he must have sensed the rattlesnake that was in the grass about a foot away from where I had been walking. Had he not pushed me, I would have been bitten.

Guess who had steak for dinner!

Dogs are such amazing creatures, as are cats.

After my spaniel was killed I told my husband no more dogs. Of course he ignored me and brought home a puppy. I'm so glad he did.

Bear now weighs about 100lbs and is my constant companion. Last spring I left him inside as I walked up to the gate to get the mail. It's about 1/8th of a mile from the house to the main gate. Halfway up I hear the front door crash open and here comes Bear. When he got to where I was he started head butting me towards the other side of the drive, really hard.

I don't know how but he must have sensed the rattlesnake that was in the grass about a foot away from where I had been walking. Had he not pushed me, I would have been bitten.

You dog sounds amazing... So loving and so very protective..Lucky you.. and he deserved the steak

I was watching the Simpsons one evening.. I laughed at what Homer said to his dog ( santas lil helper)... The dog had saved him.. and he says - Good doggy.. next time i'll let the vet teat your heart murmur and not just see how it goes... laugh.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

All type of animals are amazing only when you care about them. Except for human, love can't always overcome the greed an the evil.

Good thing you have a Bear! Sounds like he lives up to his name! I have 2 Rottwielers and 2 Pitt Bulls and 4 Blue Heelers. One night something very large was running around in the dark around our house. I live way out in the country with my nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away. So all of these dogs were going bananas! I came outside and all 8 of them ran BEHIND ME! Well it turned out to be some cows and I was dam happy they were just cows! But they were not so tough that night! But they have stepped in when I was in trouble and I would not live long without them. I am so happy you have your friend and he will always be there for you.

Rocketgirl B)