Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Case: The Orange Sock Murders

JonathanVonErich

No, I think he forgot about me. He is having some problems at home (his wife suffers from mental illness) and he is working 2 jobs. I'll give him a call in the morning and remind him.

Hopefully everything is OK with him.

No, I think he forgot about me. He is having some problems at home (his wife suffers from mental illness) and he is working 2 jobs. I'll give him a call in the morning and remind him.

Hopefully everything is OK with him.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

Thanks Jon. I'll call him in the morning and remind him. I'm sure he just forgot, which is something he does at times.

• 1 month later...

It was probably Tracy Petrocelli, but I have my doubts.

The two investigators still haven't shared the alleged "strong evidences" linking him to the crimes, and from what I have read they don't want to share comments about this case. This is strange. If indeed they had strong evidence they would have closed the case a long time ago. The proof that the case is still unsolved more than a year after they identified Petrocelli as a suspect is, to me, proof that they thought they have nothing solid against him.

If indeed they have strong evidences then they should do something about it. I know it takes time to close a case, but "strong evidences" would have closed this case months ago.

Unfortunately, having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things. You have to remember these crimes happened 29 years ago. I happen to know some of what this evidence is as my loved one was one of Petrocelli's victims. In fact his body has never been found that we know of. I supplied some of the evidence to these wonderful cold case detectives in Utah and since it was sat on for the majority of years, it is not easy to make a case. Gas receipts for Petrolcelli's travels through multiple states were in my possession since it was my loved one's gas credit card receipts. Petrocelli was in the area at the time of the murders. The detectives also used those receipts, that were available to the inital law enforcement officials in 1982, so many years later to track crimes and identify other victims of this sociopath. Though these cases were never sent to the court system, those cases were finally able to be closed because of these two men, Mike Carr and Dean Wilkinson. The posters that are skeptical of why the cases of these two girls have not been closed have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am grateful to Summit County Utah for helping me feel confident that while Petrocelli will never be charged in the death of my boyfriend, I know he was the murderer. I have known he was the murderer since 1982. I know some of what has occurred in Colorado with these two girls as I was interviewed several years ago when their cold case started being investigated. I fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives and am grateful for the peace of mind they have given me.

Edited by pogostick

Unfortunately, having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things. You have to remember these crimes happened 29 years ago. I happen to know some of what this evidence is as my loved one was one of Petrocelli's victims. In fact his body has never been found that we know of. I supplied some of the evidence to these wonderful cold case detectives in Utah and since it was sat on for the majority of years, it is not easy to make a case. Gas receipts for Petrolcelli's travels through multiple states were in my possession since it was my loved one's gas credit card receipts. Petrocelli was in the area at the time of the murders. The detectives also used those receipts, that were available to the inital law enforcement officials in 1982, so many years later to track crimes and identify other victims of this sociopath. Though these cases were never sent to the court system, those cases were finally able to be closed because of these two men, Mike Carr and Dean Wilkinson. The posters that are skeptical of why the cases of these two girls have not been closed have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am grateful to Summit County Utah for helping me feel confident that while Petrocelli will never be charged in the death of my boyfriend, I know he was the murderer. I have known he was the murderer since 1982. I know some of what has occurred in Colorado with these two girls as I was interviewed several years ago when their cold case started being investigated. I fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives and am grateful for the peace of mind they have given me.

Hi, thank you very much for sharing your fascinating story with us. :)

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, glad you have found peace.

You are right, I have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am aware that it takes a lot of time to close a case, and I know that having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things, I totally agree with you. However I still believe that the investigators committed a mistake when they said they had "strong evidences" against Petrocelli in this case, I'm sure it gave a lot of hope to the family,of the victims, and I can't imagine how disappointed both family must be now, one year later after the comment by the investigators, seeing that the case is still unsolved.

I also fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives, and know how hard they work. However they are not perfect, and in this case I believe they have committed a mistake by claiming they had "strong" evidences. Only my opinion. I didn't meant to be disrespectful towards these investigators, I myself I'm planning of getting my PHD in criminology, so I have a huge amount of respect for these people. However I don't agree with what they did.

Hi, thank you very much for sharing your fascinating story with us. :)

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, glad you have found peace.

You are right, I have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am aware that it takes a lot of time to close a case, and I know that having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things, I totally agree with you. However I still believe that the investigators committed a mistake when they said they had "strong evidences" against Petrocelli in this case, I'm sure it gave a lot of hope to the family,of the victims, and I can't imagine how disappointed both family must be now, one year later after the comment by the investigators, seeing that the case is still unsolved.

I also fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives, and know how hard they work. However they are not perfect, and in this case I believe they have committed a mistake by claiming they had "strong" evidences. Only my opinion. I didn't meant to be disrespectful towards these investigators, I myself I'm planning of getting my PHD in criminology, so I have a huge amount of respect for these people. However I don't agree with what they did.

Who knows, they may be alot like me where the information they have been given has helped them find some peace. Maybe not. But knowing that someone cares and is really trying to prove what happened is enormous to those left behind. Petrocelli laughs at anyone who has tried to get him to tell the truth. He leads them on promising the truth and then won't talk. There have been several instances where detectives from different states have been to Ely to talk to him and he ends up spinning tales and lies. He is evil and he killed his accomplices once he was done with them. I am waiting for his death sentence to be carried out. It is a travesty that he is allowed to spend this amount of time on appeals. My heart goes out to all his victims and for these girls' families as well, no matter who the guilty party is. It's a hard row to hoe never having answers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recent article about the case, written for the 30th Anniversary:

THIRTY YEARS AGO - MOUNTAIN MURDERS NEVER FORGOTTEN

Sharing some interesting ( but old ) informations:

Annette's last known stop in Breckenridge, Colorado was at approximately 4:45 PM on Wednesday, January 6, 1982, leaving a pharmacy called The Drug Store where she had filled a prescription. She was seen talking with an unidentified woman, and was heard reminding the woman to buy cigarettes. The unknown woman was described by witnesses as a white female, approximately 5' 4" tall, slender build.

Sketch of the unknown woman: mysterywoman50.jpg

More info: http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/

• 1 month later...

He was exonerated on DNA evidence, once it became available around 1991. His DNA was tested against a sample obtained from Bobbie Jo's bloody glove.

• 3 weeks later...

Fascinating case .

I agree, this case is one of the most intriguing, bizarre and interesting cases I have seen in all the years I've been researching cold cases.

Here's a picture of the orange sock found at the scene where Bobbie Jo's body was discovered.

orangebootie2crop75.jpg

Here's a picture of the orange sock Annette was wearing when she was found:

schnee_2_bootorangebootie50.jpg

If you have any information please go to : http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/

• 1 month later...

I am currently reading a biography on Lucas. First, the orange socks, DID in deed belong to the murdered unknown, she was wearing a white tank, cut off shorts, and kneee-high orange socks (not super unusual, not only for a fashion aspect, but also it was Halloween). I believe Henry did in fact commit this murder, and the "register" that lists him being at work for a roofing company then, I believe to be forged. He (Henry Lucas) knew that the girl, dubbed "orange socks" had in fact been on her period, which is something that could not have been known by an outsider who hadn't been directly, and intimately, involved with the victim. However i don't think the orange sock aspect is anything communal between this and any other murder. Especially as Lucas has been quoted numerous times and stating he knew how to avoid police identification, and one of those ways was to not have a "signature", or MO. He would not have put orange socks on girls, as in his mind, that would be almost blatantly implicating himself. He was "trained" by the Hand of Death specifically how to avoid detection.

Edited by Nikki78
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing Nikki.

I'm not sure if I'm following you; so basically you say that Lucas killed only one of the girls, right ?? Sorry, it just isn't very clear to me.

Just the unknown orange socks girl, not the other two women killed in January.

Ah ok, now I get it, sorry, my bad. :tu:

Well thank you very much for sharing the information.

Do you have any idea who this unknown victim might be ?? Any lead about that, any possible victims Nikki ??

Edited by JonathanVonErich

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I found this site today and immediatly picked up on this case.... i signed up purely to write on this case, but im sure others will tempt me... i know this is an old topic (hec 2011!) but still...

has anyone noticed that on the http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/ page, they are looking for someone who supplied evidence on the 13.3.3013 so very recently, i wonder what they siad....

"AN URGENT MESSAGE TO THE INDIVIDUAL WHO SUPPLIED INFORMATION ON 03/13/2013

REGARDING A POSSIBLE SUSPECT FROM EASTERN WASHINGTON STATE:

Please supply us with additional information as to why you suspect this man.

You may leave information anonymously as you did before or contact us directly through the web site at contact@rockymountaincoldcase.com"

why thank you Rashore , i wonder if you could help... do you have any pages on the zodiac killer?????? i got the fright of my life when i looked at the "murder costume" if freaked me out! just like this case... i get a bit jumpy with photos and jane/john doe composite images..... creep me out!

Do I have zodiac killer pages? Sorry, no. However, if you look up zodiac killer in the search box, there have been a couple threads on it. Gotta make sure to use zodiac killer and not just zodiac, otherwise you will end up with a lot of astrology threads too.

Do I have zodiac killer pages? Sorry, no. However, if you look up zodiac killer in the search box, there have been a couple threads on it. Gotta make sure to use zodiac killer and not just zodiac, otherwise you will end up with a lot of astrology threads too.

haha, i bet that sounded creepy, i didnt mean YOU i meant the royal you.. the forum :yes:

haha, i bet that sounded creepy, i didnt mean YOU i meant the royal you.. the forum :yes:

Didn't sound creepy at all.. Some of us do have lots of information on various cases. Zodiac just didn't happen to be one of my pet cases. Though hehehe, didn't realize you meant it in royal.

out of curiousity.... what are your "pet" cases, i stumbled accross this one today....