Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy Scouts failed to report abuser

Persia

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• __Kratos__

• Travelling Man

• Wickian

Top Posters In This Topic

.quote]As for Turley, Hill said: "Hopefully he went back to Canada and that was their problem." OMG! What a horribly callous thing to say! I'm glad he was thinking of the kids. This guy should have been brought up on charges, too.

Rather than call police or throw Turley out, Canadian Scouting officials transferred him to another troop. He left the Scouts a year later.
With the way Scouts handled this situation whether Canadian or American, I would NEVER allow any child of mine to be involved with them.
Turley is one of more than 5,000 suspected child molesters named in confidential files kept by the Boy Scouts of America. The documents — called the "perversion files" by the organization — include unsubstantiated tips as well as admissions of guilt.

More than 5000!!! that just blows me away.

In the 1980s, the Boy Scouts began requiring that at least two adults be present for troop activities. The following decade, it mandated criminal background checks for staffers, a requirement that was expanded to the organization's nearly 1 million volunteers in 2008. Last year, it required child abuse prevention training as well. All suspicions of sexual misconduct must now be reported to police.

My troop took hikes and camping trips with one leader sometimes. I never got raped. #winning! He was just a giant dick who thought scouts was the military. He took 2 corners off my knife card. <_<

They all report to the same head leadership to so how did this just keep going on... I know they don't want bad pr but jeez 5000? How could they stand to live with themselves while supposing running a group for instilling morality and leadership? :no:

My troop took hikes and camping trips with one leader sometimes. I never got raped. #winning! He was just a giant dick who thought scouts was the military. He took 2 corners off my knife card. disgust.gif

They all report to the same head leadership to so how did this just keep going on... I know they don't want bad pr but jeez 5000? How could they stand to live with themselves while supposing running a group for instilling morality and leadership? :no:

I know! I couldn't understand that, either

I know! I couldn't understand that, either

The morally bankrupt find it easy to justify any means to an end.

I don't want to dilute the disturbing nature of this guys' crimes, but this was a different era. Scouting didn't have COMPUTERS back then to do record verification and such. If I got a job with one troop and got kicked out "forever", I could very easily get a position with another troop in another jurisdiction without a problem - and nobody would know. That the Scouts kept these records AT ALL is to be commended. They took action once it was possible to take it by requiring two adults with each activity and background investigations.

This guy is just a special breed of evil.

Hey all, Eagle Scout here.

I just wanted to point out how old this problem is, and how much the BSA has done to stop it nowadays. There are a ton of rules and regulations in place to keep horrible things like this from happening again. For example: Anyone who is over the age of eighteen cannot be in the same tent as someone who is under the age of eighteen for any reason.

I'm not trying to justify their lack of investigation in the past, just pointing out that they're doing things differently now.

While I think the old cases have importance, and yeppers, if any of those leaders are still in the scouts, they should be booted out and persecuted, and any kids that were molested then should still have the right to have their day in court even though they are adults now...

I agree with some other comments that things have changed, and the old ugly should not cast shadows on todays happenings. If there are currently problems, then those people should be nailed too of course. But I think there have been a lot of safeguards put in place because of past events.

I also agree that the old cases echo the Catholic church cases as commented on in the article. I don't think it matters what the group is, child molestation is wrong wrong wrong, and no case should ever be sequestered, no molester should be given a blind eye or simply moved elsewhere.

I like the scouts and think they can be a valuable asset to kids.