Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your car can give away clues about yourself

Still Waters

Your car really does give clues about your personality, according to research by scientists.

Researchers have found that people instinctively attach human personality traits to cars, saying that cars with wide radiator grilles and narrow headlights are dominant and aggressive, while those with large windscreens have childish and happy "faces".

The findings may provide some insight into why drivers react in different ways to the cars around them and why some vehicles invoke strong reactions.

Specific cars were also singled out having particular traits that relate to personality. The Chrysler Crossfire, BMW 645ci and VW Sharan were rated amongst the angriest cars, while the Diahatsu Cuore, a small Japanese-built hatchback, was found to be the saddest.

Cars made by German luxury manufacturer Maybach were seen as being the most dominant alongside the BMW 3, BMW 5 and BMW 645ci.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StarMountainKid

• The Unseen

• MissMelsWell

• Damrod

Based on my car, I am:

• old
  • not paid for
  • inefficient
  • won't start if parked at a certain angle

I hope my car says something about me after I am finished as I am restoring mine to original but currently its still a heap...

Well, of course, car makers purposely design the front ends of cars to look the way they do, and to create a specific reaction from people who look at them. There is a whole psychological philosophy behind car design.

A marketing ploy to create the idea that "self expression" through purchasing is necessary...thank the master of marketing...aka...Edward Bernays...people think they need to express themselves through purchased possessions rather than skill and craft... courtesy of this guy...it's easier and faster to make your statement this way...

Edited by Damrod

I call BS. I currently drive a Nissan crossover (Rogue). It has all wheel drive ('cause it snows like hell around here) and the back seat folds for a large cargo space (I have two 70 lb dogs). My choice was utilitarian...doubtful that indicates very much about how friendly or mature I am. :rolleyes:

its a BS, what if you can only afford a really crappy car, only thing that can other tell about you, you are not a poor nothing else. that don't mean if you drive a Ferrari you are a jerk, he might be a poor and drive a Yugo and still be a jerk.

he might be a poor and drive a Yugo and still be a jerk.

Ha, I remember those. I haven't seen one in years. :tu:

I drive a dinky small car because I prefer to spend my money on things other than cars. It is clean and in good shape, though.

I drive an Ice Blue Kia Rio (2006). That model isn't even sold in the UK, so the way I see it, those descriptions are only applicable in the UK. :P The only Kia model they list is the Picanto and I'm certainly not sad. :no:

Mazda changed the name of the Miata for MX5

because it was perceived by peoples as a girl car....

Still is, i dont think changing the name had any influence,,

Some vehicles are perceived as girls and others as male...

Who would perceive a Dodge Ram as a girl, or a New Beetle as a boy...

I always compared my wife to a corvette.....and i used to own a Mazda RX7 and i told peoples it was my wife car because i thought it was too feminine....lol

Now i drive an old 97 Ford Ranger because it's like me, Old in very good shape and reliable...never had problem with it...

This article is lame. I don't think research is necessary to understand that.people assign personality traits to their vehicles. Our cars are extensions of our beings while we drive.

This article is lame. I don't think research is necessary to understand that.people assign personality traits to their vehicles. Our cars are extensions of our beings while we drive.

Yup, stating the obvious.

I have a 2008 Mustang, wonder what that says about me, first new car I ever bought. God, the gas mileage really sucks. lol

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

I have a 2008 Mustang, wonder what that says about me, first new car I ever bought. God, the gas mileage really sucks. lol

Sweet car bro, I just bought a 1993 Crown Vic with the V-8 police interceptor today. Things in great shape, and it is fast, I mean FAST. It looks almost brand new...got a great deal on it. Nice to have a car again after what I was telling you about yesterday.

Edited by Tattoomike

Sweet car bro, I just bought a 1993 Crown Vic with the V-8 police interceptor today. Things in great shape, and it is fast, I mean FAST. It looks almost brand new...got a great deal on it. Nice to have a car again after what I was telling you about yesterday.

Wow, V8, nice! I'd kill for one of those. I wanted to get the V8 Mustang, but it was 10k more and got waaay less mpg lol.

Hmm,I drive an old D.O.D car,I had to take out the bullet proof glass and the back cage,It has an engine up grade,I was hit from behind by a limo/bus and the bus had to be towed away,all I had in damage was a lose bumper which I fixed with a rivet.It is an old Oldsmobile Cutlas 94 with over 222,000 miles on it and it needs a paint job but the motor is strong and it moves very fast and rides real smooth.hardly had to work on it,I like my car but I think it is time for a newer one,but what I was wondering is what does my car mean?

Is it a GT or a Boss? I love those cars but don't think I could ever have one because it would get abused.and I can see myself getting ticket after ticket,I have a lead foot,I suck. <_<

I am curious, does this only apply to someone whom can afford the car they would like to get?

Or also to people like me who have to get what they can for what little they have....

IE :

Would love a Dodge 4x4.......

Can't afford the fuel......

Would love any car newer than 2000......Can't afford it.....

So, a lot of us just " settle " for what we can.

If I am driving a Suzuki Grand Vitara, and imagining I am in a Dodge 4x4 all leather interior, towing a nice weldcraft fishing boat, and pretending to be retired, does that make me delirious?