Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three-Eyed Fish Caught

Still Waters

Fishermen in Argentina are claiming that they have caught a three-eyed fish in a reservoir in the Córdoba province, and it just so happens that a nearby nuclear facility pumps its hot water directly into this body of water.

Unsurprisingly, the discovery of the three-eyed wolffish has prompted concerns about the levels of radiation in the reservoir and to what degree the local wildlife are affected.We’re no experts, but if they’re growing extra eyes – we’d say quite a bit.

Speaking to local press, fisherman Julián Zmutt said of his discovery: “We were fishing and we got the surprise of getting this rare specimen. As it was dark at that time we did not notice, but then you looked at him with a flashlight and saw that he had a third eye.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• runekazter

• Verneph

• Edel

While this could be a natural occurance I think someone better check the water, LOL.

i always knew the Simpsons was based on fact...........

That is neat, I wonder if they called him Blinky.

BartSimpson9.gif

The Simpsons did it first!

Seriously, we see animals with mutations all the time, I'll be surprised if something like this is due to radiation.

While not as big a blow as the Fukushima disaster or even the Indian Point debacle, the discovery of the three-eyed fish, or ‘Blinkygate’ as we’ll call it, is set to raise a lot of eyebrows over the impact nuclear power plants are having on our local wildlife and, as a result, the food chain.

The answer is nothing. Absolutely freaking nothing. Nuke plants only output three things: Steam, hot water and electricity. The only thing that plant puts into the reservoir is more water. The fish is just a coincidence. The only time a nuclear plant releases any radiation is if something goes haywire, and the only time that ever happened on a truly catastrophic scale was Chernobyl.

This is sensationalism in its purest form.

I thought that some animals, notably lizards and amphibians, have a visible "third eye" or pineal gland.

The western fence lizard, amongst others, is a good example of that.

Of course industrial pollution could also be an explanation too....maybe.

Whatever the cause, he has one more eye...It has its...advantages.

Edited by Edel

The answer is nothing. Absolutely freaking nothing. Nuke plants only output three things: Steam, hot water and electricity. The only thing that plant puts into the reservoir is more water. The fish is just a coincidence. The only time a nuclear plant releases any radiation is if something goes haywire, and the only time that ever happened on a truly catastrophic scale was Chernobyl.

This is sensationalism in its purest form.

Um... radioactive waste that has a half life of 3,000 years...

I've seen some weird catfish come out of a pond near a bunch of chicken houses down in Arkansas. It took in all the runoff (steroids and a dozen other things) that came out of them when it rained. Animals used to come along and eat the dead chickens that got thrown outside and be dead in a matter of days. I don't eat chicken after growing up and seeing those kinds of things.

right they dump all that waste in a mountain. i hope it doesn't ever leak or some great quake sends it spewing out. there goes the neighborhood for well....noone really knows the impact on the earth if that stuff gets out. Who's idea was it anyway to utilize such unsafe means of generating power. oh wait it was ours. slap to the forehead, doh!

right they dump all that waste in a mountain. i hope it doesn't ever leak or some great quake sends it spewing out. there goes the neighborhood for well....noone really knows the impact on the earth if that stuff gets out. Who's idea was it anyway to utilize such unsafe means of generating power. oh wait it was ours. slap to the forehead, doh!

They examine the sites, make sure they are in geologically stable areas in places that are cut off from the water table, and are routinely examined for leaking radiation.

They examine the sites, make sure they are in geologically stable areas in places that are cut off from the water table, and are routinely examined for leaking radiation.

and now we leave it for others to maintain for thousands of years. will they even know what to do with it 2000 years from now when its still toxic,harmful and hazardous to mankind and the planet. - it appears Yucca Mountain storage is not been opened. It seems all the nuclear waste is being moved around to temporary locations. The mountain is listed as on a fault line too oh but an inactive one. Hmm very interesting if you look up nuclear waste storage in the united states i don't think anyone knows where this stuff is being kept. anyone?

Edited by runekazter

and now we leave it for others to maintain for thousands of years. will they even know what to do with it 2000 years from now when its still toxic,harmful and hazardous to mankind and the planet. - it appears Yucca Mountain storage is not been opened. It seems all the nuclear waste is being moved around to temporary locations. The mountain is listed as on a fault line too oh but an inactive one. Hmm very interesting if you look up nuclear waste storage in the united states i don't think anyone knows where this stuff is being kept. anyone?

You're probably not aware of this, but there is ongoing research in how to re-purpose nuclear waste towards energy sources or safe disposal. In other words, this is not intended as permanent storage.

There are currently 121 smaller repositories around the US where the waste is being stored.

Many of these are listed at the following super secret Wikipedia link: link

You're probably not aware of this, but there is ongoing research in how to re-purpose nuclear waste towards energy sources or safe disposal. In other words, this is not intended as permanent storage.

There are currently 121 smaller repositories around the US where the waste is being stored.

Many of these are listed at the following super secret Wikipedia link: link

yes i was aware of the ongoing research in what to do with the spent rods. in other words there is no permanent solution. Wouldn't you think one would need that answer on what to do with the waste 'before' one started setting up reactors? wait that was the Yucca mnt supposed to be ready in 98 and as of 2011 is canceled? Great idea....lets create tons and tons of the nastiest stuff known to life as we know it and spread it all over the Earth. Its ok because we will put it in containers. Sry I try not to reference wiki for anything important.

yes i was aware of the ongoing research in what to do with the spent rods. in other words there is no permanent solution.

Currently, no. Which would be why we're trying to find one. Safe storage is short term.

Wouldn't you think one would need that answer on what to do with the waste 'before' one started setting up reactors?

Unfortunately we tend to move first, think of consequences later.

ait that was the Yucca mnt supposed to be ready in 98 and as of 2011 is canceled?

Yes, partially due to the complexity of moving waste through the country side. The current sites for storage are sufficient, and new sites are being mapped, while ongoing research into long term storage and re-purposing is still being done.

Meanwhile the reliance of society on fossils fuels like coal and oil are introducing pollutants and radioactive material to the environment, and alternative energies are found to not be adequate to equal the task of supplying energy to the nation.

More efficient and advanced nuclear power plants are available, however international regulations are such they won't be built, leading to incidents like Fukushima as older plants age and need repair instead of being replaced.

Sry I try not to reference wiki for anything important.

It's a list, if you have issues with the link, then follow the sources for the lists.

Simpsons already did it

Already beat you to it mate.

its very scary what radioactivity can do... ;)

Doubt it's radioactive, probably normal radation, just happens to be near a plant. You'd see more harmful affects before mutations like this comes about, like tumours.

Its funny how this happens in Argentina, we make a deal about it. But the toxic wastes being dumped into the 2nd largest water table on the planet (Alberta) is ignored because such toxic waste is the product of Humanity's favorite addiction, Oil. Who cares if we kill off an entire indigenous people, an entire wild ecosystem, threaten to kill off all of the North American populace, who cares? We have oil! Radiation is nothing compared to Cadmium, Arsenic, Lead, etc. In water :)

Edited by kjtest21