Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three-Eyed Fish Caught

Still Waters

The answer is nothing. Absolutely freaking nothing. Nuke plants only output three things: Steam, hot water and electricity. The only thing that plant puts into the reservoir is more water. The fish is just a coincidence. The only time a nuclear plant releases any radiation is if something goes haywire, and the only time that ever happened on a truly catastrophic scale was Chernobyl.

This is sensationalism in its purest form.

Check out the data here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/14/nuclear-power-plant-accidents-list-rank

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• runekazter

• Verneph

• Edel

I find it hilarious that it was a three eyed fish found near a radioactive plant. Simpsons, anyone?

I thought that some animals, notably lizards and amphibians, have a visible "third eye" or pineal gland.

The western fence lizard, amongst others, is a good example of that.

Of course industrial pollution could also be an explanation too....maybe.

Its not an eye. Its a "port" of sorts that allows access to photoreceptive cells in the pineal gland. The cells of the gland make and release melatonin which is important in maintenance of circadian rhythms and biological clocks.

In mammals this port has closed (and in some other branches of the reptiles and amphibians as well, an evolutionary independent event). Instead, photoreception is transferred from the eyes. Interestingly enough, we (humans and other mammals) still possess vestigial photoreceptive cells in the pineal gland (at least till about puberty, then they might atrophy--Though to my knowledge it hasn't been studied very well). This can be seen in cases of children with retinoblastoma, who in this case can have it across 3 axises: bilaterally in the eyes and in the pineal gland as well.

To the OP: I highly doubt this was caused by the nuclear plant. Like ShadowSot points out; other manifestations are much more likely. Ionizing radiation causes breakages of DNA, which leads to damaged cells going through replicative cell cycles (mitosis) and further compounding and accumulating deleterious changes. We have a name for this: cancer. The most obvious and first manifestation would be tumors found in the local wildlife.

A developmental defect like this wouldn't be the first thing to pop up. And IIRC from my evodevo certain lineages, like fish, are more prone to these axial developmental errors which result from a mis-distribution of gradient dependent developmental factors (morphogens) during embryogenesis.