Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Sybil' is one big psych-out

Keel M.

“Sybil,” the shocking true story of a woman shattered into 16 distinct personalities that helped her to dig up repressed memories of monstrous childhood sexual abuse, sold nearly 7 million copies when it was published in 1973. A serialized version ran in newspapers around the nation as readers gasped at “scenes of Sybil’s demented mother defecating on lawns, conducting lesbian orgies and raping her daughter with kitchen utensils.This kind of sex and perversion had never before been published on the ‘women’s’ pages,” writes author Debbie Nathan in a new book.arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keel M.

• Sweetpumper

• ~TheBigK~

• conspiracybeliever

It was all a fake!? That went on for a long time for a scam. I wonder why she fianlly came out with the truth? Maybe to make more money?

I thought this was common knowledge.

I never heard about this til I saw the article.

Yeah, this is news to me as well. I even remember talking about this extensively in my Psych class.

I think there was a movie with Sally Field as the starring role, back in the 1970's.

It would be interesting to know if there are any other MPD cases that are authentic or not.

Why am I not surprised? I watched all of the series when it was on TV, I think it was in '74? I really thought it was real because they talked about it so much back then. I know the show really upset me at the time. I did not have time to read the whole thing but I will. How sad that no body can tell the truth anymore..... :angry:

Rocketgirl B)

How sad that no body can tell the truth anymore..... :angry:

Is it more sad we turn to television, movies, and books too, for the truth?

Edited by ChristianWitch

• 2 months later...

Wow, I've never heard that before, and I've read the book a few times. They should have marketed it as horror fiction; they could have been that generation's Stephen King.