Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Occupy Wall Street protests across the countr

Persia

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• F3SS

• Dredimus

• rashore

Ugh... The Occupy movement has been going downhill in some places.. and kind of looks like it's snowballing.

Been saying it for weeks now, this is getting uglier and sadder all the time.

I'm all good with peacefully and legally assembling to protest... But this is just steadily getting ickier and ickier on the behalf of various peoples in the protest groups.

Ugh... The Occupy movement has been going downhill in some places.. and kind of looks like it's snowballing.

Been saying it for weeks now, this is getting uglier and sadder all the time.

I'm all good with peacefully and legally assembling to protest... But this is just steadily getting ickier and ickier on the behalf of various peoples in the protest groups.

It was probably inevitable.

Big conglomerations of people are magnets for attacks like these. Think about how many sexual assaults probably occur at modern day concerts. I don't like OWS, but I wouldn't blame the movement for this. It happens anywhere that there are people. :no:

It was probably inevitable.

Big conglomerations of people are magnets for attacks like these. Think about how many sexual assaults probably occur at modern day concerts. I don't like OWS, but I wouldn't blame the movement for this. It happens anywhere that there are people. :no:

Yup. It doesn't have anything to do with OWS, it has to do with a large number of all types of people gathered in one place for a long time.

Nibs

Sad but true Verneph :no: Conglomeration Ick does tend to pop up.

At this point, I'm starting to feel like... Meh, Occupy is just another 1%. Just another small number of people as a group doing whatever.

Sad but true Verneph :no: Conglomeration Ick does tend to pop up.

At this point, I'm starting to feel like... Meh, Occupy is just another 1%. Just another small number of people as a group doing whatever.

That's actually what annoys me the most about them. They claim to be the "99%" when they are not. I'm not a part of them. Most of my family doesn't support them. Most of my friends don't support them. None of us are rich in any way, for the record.

As you say, they are just another small percentage and honestly I think it's a little ignorant to claim to be speaking for the 99% when the other 98% doesn't agree or support you. Maybe it's 97%. I don't know anymore. When did percentages even get into this?

That's actually what annoys me the most about them. They claim to be the "99%" when they are not. I'm not a part of them. Most of my family doesn't support them. Most of my friends don't support them. None of us are rich in any way, for the record.

As you say, they are just another small percentage and honestly I think it's a little ignorant to claim to be speaking for the 99% when the other 98% doesn't agree or support you. Maybe it's 97%. I don't know anymore. When did percentages even get into this?

I agree. I'm not put of the 99%. I don't want them to speak for me. I'm pretty much comfortable the way I am. My parents don't support/agree with them either. |:

To say that you are not part of the 99% means that you completely and totally don't understand. You are part of the 99%. You can't avoid it. (There's one or two that post on UM in the one percent) It means our incomes in relation to each other. Since 1992 the top 400 earners saw their income increase 392% while their taxes decreased 37%. The top 1% incomes start at about one million dollars per year. The wealthiest one percent control 40% of the nations wealth. They control politics.

You may or may not agree with OWS. That's a separate issue than being part of the 99 percent.

Edited by ninjadude

To say that you are not part of the 99% means that you completely and totally don't understand. You are part of the 99%. You can't avoid it. (There's one or two that post on UM in the one percent) It means our incomes in relation to each other. Since 1992 the top 400 earners saw their income increase 392% while their taxes decreased 37%. The top 1% incomes start at about one million dollars per year. The wealthiest one percent control 40% of the nations wealth. They control politics.

You may or may not agree with OWS. That's a separate issue than being part of the 99 percent.

I know what you're saying. However, most of us hear are telling you that they don't speak for us. They are lumping everybody who has less than a million dollars into one category. We don't want to be part of that group. Therefore we are not a part of the 99%. Their ideology belongs to a small percentage of people. Us hard working people who are generally satisified with our lives do not need and have not asked for a spokes person. Especially from such a gross derelict movement.

I know what you're saying. However, most of us hear are telling you that they don't speak for us. They are lumping everybody who has less than a million dollars into one category. We don't want to be part of that group. Therefore we are not a part of the 99%. Their ideology belongs to a small percentage of people. Us hard working people who are generally satisified with our lives do not need and have not asked for a spokes person. Especially from such a gross derelict movement.

And again, please read what I posted. You are part of the 99 percent. You can't avoid it. The 99percent <> OWS.

Nope. Sorry. I'm not. I like how things are.

^ This. I agree. I think I heard that the Occupiers are okay with violence.

/not trying to sound like a flame war or insult or anything.

Edited by Princess Serenity

And again, please read what I posted. You are part of the 99 percent. You can't avoid it. The 99percent <> OWS.

I understand. Financially yes. However, THEY DO NOT REPRESENT ME OR MY IDEALS.

Does that make sense to you?

I understand. Financially yes. However, THEY DO NOT REPRESENT ME OR MY IDEALS.

Does that make sense to you?

No. You make no sense. If you mean as "they" meaning OWS then as I have said that's certainly your prerogative. However you keep saying the 99percent, which is a mathematical relation. A math equation is not trying to represent you. You ARE part of the 99percent. You cannot avoid it. 99 Percent is NOT the same thing as Occupy Wall Street (OWS). 99 Percent is math that shows the income disparity in this country. 99 Percent covers nearly all 300 million Americans. A tiny number are the 1 percent. Do you understand now?

No. You make no sense. If you mean as "they" meaning OWS then as I have said that's certainly your prerogative. However you keep saying the 99percent, which is a mathematical relation. A math equation is not trying to represent you. You ARE part of the 99percent. You cannot avoid it. 99 Percent is NOT the same thing as Occupy Wall Street (OWS). 99 Percent is math that shows the income disparity in this country. 99 Percent covers nearly all 300 million Americans. A tiny number are the 1 percent. Do you understand now?

What is wrong with you? I completely get the fact that yes, I am part of 99% percent of people who don't make as much as the remaing 1%. And I know the 1% have as much money as the rest of us combined. There was greed. It's crazy. It's mind blowing. You've blown the doors off of this one.

Your big thing is that you see it as alright for 1% of the 99% to publicy involve me, by default of the statistic, into their cause which I don't agree with. You keep telling I am a part of this as if I have no choice. 1% of people assume they are speaking for 98% of the rest of us just arrogant. I never asked them to speak for me and I don't need to thank them or care for their ideas. I don't care for all the crazy and criminal activities many of the protests have produced. Perhaps it's time you and they reassess how the message should be heard. And I know it's probably 1% of the 1% who are behaving badly, but they are taking over the show.

If anything, I am the 98% and you can't argue that.

Edited by Is it for real

What is wrong with you? I completely get the fact that yes, I am part of 99% percent of people who don't make as much as the remaing 1%. And I know the 1% have as much money as the rest of us combined. There was greed. It's crazy. It's mind blowing. You've blown the doors off of this one.

Your big thing is that you see it as alright for 1% of the 99% to publicy involve me, by default of the statistic, into their cause which I don't agree with. You keep telling I am a part of this as if I have no choice. 1% of people assume they are speaking for 98% of the rest of us just arrogant. I never asked them to speak for me and I don't need to thank them or care for their ideas. I don't care for all the crazy and criminal activities many of the protests have produced. Perhaps it's time you and they reassess how the message should be heard. And I know it's probably 1% of the 1% who are behaving badly, but they are taking over the show.

If anything, I am the 98% and you can't argue that.

I see exactly what you are saying, and the way I see it... I'm not part of a "99%". By doing what they are doing... "Protesting"... they have created their own little percentage group... most of us are still at work, still paying bills, still paying taxes, still feeding our families, still living life and not asking for a hand out AND I'm not looking for a spokesperson. Ive said it time and time again, I'm all for giving some one a hand up... but I'm sick of the hand outs.

Oh, and before anyone pops out with that "They aren't asking for anything" routine.. please keep in mind that they are talking about eliminating debt across the board.. including their student loans... and they are asking for a minimum wage of $20... doesn't matter if you work or not... they were calling it a "Living Wage".

I see exactly what you are saying, and the way I see it... I'm not part of a "99%". By doing what they are doing... "Protesting"... they have created their own little percentage group... most of us are still at work, still paying bills, still paying taxes, still feeding our families, still living life and not asking for a hand out AND I'm not looking for a spokesperson. Ive said it time and time again, I'm all for giving some one a hand up... but I'm sick of the hand outs.

Oh, and before anyone pops out with that "They aren't asking for anything" routine.. please keep in mind that they are talking about eliminating debt across the board.. including their student loans... and they are asking for a minimum wage of $20... doesn't matter if you work or not... they were calling it a "Living Wage".

OMG, they want to eliminate their student loans?? Terrorists!!!

I love how you are "sick of hand outs" but have nothing good to say about people who are fed up with a fascist system that bails-out mega-corporations at the expense of the tax-payer. I guess that is the kind of "hand-up" you support.

OMG, they want to eliminate their student loans?? Terrorists!!!

I love how you are "sick of hand outs" but have nothing good to say about people who are fed up with a fascist system that bails-out mega-corporations at the expense of the tax-payer. I guess that is the kind of "hand-up" you support.

It was not mentioned because it was not part of the topic... and just so you know... No I dont agree with the bail outs of the corporations... I firmly believe that the government should have kept their noses out of big business and let it thrive or fall on its own. When a large business like GM for example goes down, it opens up room for other smaller companies to thrive and become more competitive.

Here's a newer article about the problems with rape and sexual crimes in the Occupy movement..

Human Events

I think this problem is one of the sicker ones in the whole Occupy movement. It sounds like crimes are being sort of swept under the rug in light of the movement.

Crap like this makes me think maybe I'm part of another 1%. If they represent the 99%, and think that committing rape and other crimes is a tolerable part of free speech and peaceful assembly.. I guess that makes me part of the 1% that does not think it's OK. Or maybe I'm part of the other 99%. Probably the 1% now is the people in the camps that are doing such things and feel it's OK.

Yeah, I know that's throwing the blanket over all the Occupy sites.. But so many have had ill reports now.

I understand it started as a noble cause, a peaceful rally... But as time goes on, these types of incidents are really negating out what good they are trying to do.

99 percent refers to income disparity not morality or legality.

Well, heres some math to maybe make you understand... the 32% of us making 30k-70k (persons, not households)a year, dont need a group to speak for us... we are doing what we gotta do to make it... and a majority of us dont agree with whats going on with OWS. Most of us view it as a small percentage of people that apparently arent working and have no plans of getting a job in the near future... they want a free ride... hence their "demands". The world doesnt work that way and they, like you, choose to be blind to the realities of the way things work...

I understand that in the beginning this was a totally different movement... atleast thats the way I see it. If you want to protest and try to enact some true change thats fine... but this is no longer a protest... its a party. The change that these people want is not for the better, not only is it not for the common good, but its impossible. You think we can just tell China, "Hey, about that money we owe you... yeah, we arent gonna pay it back." nor can we tell these financial institutions and colleges "Eh, we decided that these folks dont need to pay for their education anymore... as a matter of fact they can sit at home and draw $20 an hour for nothing..." 80% of their demands would bankrupt the US, we would be living in a 3rd world country within a matter of weeks. But that doest matter as long as you get your way huh?

99 percent refers to income disparity not morality or legality.

Everyone gets that. But like I said before, you are hell bent on a mission to tell everybody that wether we like it or not that we are a part of this movement. That whole arguement is based on just one statistic. You tell us 1% or less of the population is speaking for everybody. If that logic was applied elsewhere, you could easily go around saying that since the kkk is 1% of white people telling everybody what they think is best that they represent the thought and ideas of all other white people, based only on the statistic that the kkk is 100% white people. Both groups think they know what is best for everybody else, but that doesn't mean that they are speaking for us, even though both groups say they are. There are tons of other statistics that could lump massive amounts of the population together as one group and I'm sure you'd have the same problem with being told you are being spoken for in some other given situation as I and many others do with OWS claiming to speak for us.

I don't think you are that dumb ninja. I think you have always understood where I come from on this topic. It is your refusal to acknowledge that you know I understand that makes me believe you are on a mission or agenda. You try to beat something into my head until I see it your way no matter how many times I say I won't. We always disagree but I never tell you you need to see it a certain way. I may say that you should see things a certain way, but not that you have to wether you like it or not.

Edited by Is it for real

No one really cares if you don't understand that your not part of the 99%. They are still fighting for you. If you want to define yourself as a part of a smaller percentile, go right ahead and marginalize yourself. In a democracy the majority should rule, not your 1%.

America is financially doomed. If you want to cling to the past, good luck to you.

No one really cares if you don't understand that your not part of the 99%. They are still fighting for you. If you want to define yourself as a part of a smaller percentile, go right ahead and marginalize yourself. In a democracy the majority should rule, not your 1%.

America is financially doomed. If you want to cling to the past, good luck to you.

They're not fighting for me. Maybe if they occupy DC and DC only I would lend them a little more credence. Other than that they are causing many obstructions interfering with the daily lives of those who have things to do, they are costing tax payers millions in police overtime, arrests, property damage, spreading diseases, attracting vicious crimes and criminals and more. They certainly aren't helping the financial doom. Their message is not mine. This is not my group.

I'm happy for you people that live in your little bubble of contentment. The majority of us on U-M are part of the 99%, like it or not. Whether or not you agree with the OWS movement - that is another matter.

Do you think it's fair that Wall Streeters continued to receive multi-million dollar bonuses despite the fact that their firms had to be "bailed out?" I didn't see homeowners whose homes were being foreclosed on being bailed out. Or college grads that can't find a job bailed out from repaying their student loans. Or people that can't pay their medical bills because their insurance stinks - do they get rescued when they have to file bankruptcy?

Also, back to the OP, I noticed that this report was from Fox News. I don't trust anything that Fox News has to say as they have been proven to distort the truth and outright falsify information repeatedly. Mayor Bloomberg's lawyers claimed that activists were "hoarding a steady accumulation of combustibles, smoking, and other hazards" - otherwise known as cigarettes - and somehow, some media reported this as activists were stockpiling bombs. Get your facts straight people!

I have a serious problem with the fact that the media were harassed and arrested at the "eviction" of Zuccotti park last night. Even a city councilman was arrested and is STILL in jail. He didn't resist arrest, he was just there to represent his district. What happened to Freedom to Assemble and Freedom of Speech. Wake up people!

btw, I'm fortunate enough to have a very good paying job with good benefits and a son that is a college graduate that can't find a job in his field. I live a very comfortable life, yet I STAND WITH OWS! If I didn't have to pay the rent, I would be down there protesting too.