Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
keithisco

"Too fat to fight"...

keithisco

So once again vested interest outweighs the health and welfare of your kids..

The USDA had proposed school nutrition standards that would have doubled the overall amount of fruits and vegetables and would have increased whole grains and low-fat dairy, while reducing sodium, unhealthy fats and excess calories. Yet, lobbying from special interest groups has once again derailed some of these critically important improvements-improvements that would have given our kids a fighting chance

No link avaialble so have posted the whole article below...

Dear Keith,

We thought we fixed this when Ronald Reagan declared ketchup to be a vegetable and most of our country laughed out loud. But apparently not. Late last night, Congress unveiled change to the National School Lunch program that will allow a few dabs of tomato paste to be considered a vegetable which means that a pizza is back on our kids' tables and obesity is here to stay.

Congress chose to look past the straightforward recommendations of the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and instead get in bed with the American Frozen Food Institute and the National Potato Council to gut major policy recommendations from the bill. This unhealthy serving of corporate special interests will hurt America's children -- all 55 million of our kids, particularly poor and disadvantaged kids who have to count on school for their lunches.

Our nation's schoolchildren deserve better. Tell Congress to support the USDA's work to improve schools meals. The health of our nation's schoolchildren is simply too important to be left to special interest groups like the American Frozen Food Institute or the National Potato Council.

But don't just listen to Earth Day Network on this one. Over 100 retired generals and admirals recently declared that the dire state of our nation's school food is a national security concern. Why? One-third of all applicants to the U.S. military are turned down because they are simply "too fat to fight."

The USDA had proposed school nutrition standards that would have doubled the overall amount of fruits and vegetables and would have increased whole grains and low-fat dairy, while reducing sodium, unhealthy fats and excess calories. Yet, lobbying from special interest groups has once again derailed some of these critically important improvements-improvements that would have given our kids a fighting chance.

Let the USDA finish its job of helping schools improve the nutritional quality of their meals. Tell Congress to get off the payrolls of those FAT cats and back on the side of our children.

- The Earth Day Network Team

ohio traveler

Unless you force feed those kids the fruits and vegetables, they'll just throw them in the garbage like they do now.

keithisco

Unless you force feed those kids the fruits and vegetables, they'll just throw them in the garbage like they do now.

True, too true...

ninjadude

"too fat to fight" is not a valid consideration for anyone except the military minded.

character zero

There should be a standard for school lunches, sure, but the ultimate responsibility for obese kids these days lies on the parents.

On a slightly related note, I heard a man call in on the radio the other day talking about how he wanted to fatten up the children of Memphis so that his state would surpass Mississippi for the glory of most obese state. Crazy stuff.

Purplos

So the government should make sure to provide healthy, low-calorie food to our children so they can grow up and go to war? Pfft.

I'm with Clyde and Keith on this one. Kids will just throw away what they don't like. Nothing is going to make kids eat healthy diets and be fit except their parents teaching them and making it an every day habit to eat reasonable amounts of healthy food.

Sir Wearer of Hats

I think, whatever the rationale, a healthy food option at a school refectory is a good idea. I'm sure Regeneratia will be along to call me a Fascist because I'm siding with the military machine but it's a good idea irrespective of their reason for suggesting it.

Dredimus

Im sure that there are issues with school foods and such, but I find the statement about "Over one hundred admirals and generals" to be a bit of a stretch. Thats not how the military works. I joined the army in the late 90's along with my brother and a friend of ours. I will tell you what I saw when we enlisted.

My brother and I had just come out of a military academy, so we were pretty fit, however, our friend Ronnie had been in the public school system and was on the defensive line (football) during high school. When we went to the recruiter, we discussed our options as far as what we wanted, they reviewed our ASVAB scores and such... then we did a physical. The Physical was done at MEPS in Nashville, TN. All Soldiers go to MEPS atleast once when they are enlisting, it is here you discuss your career path and contract.. I know of 3 people that were in my group that were greatly overweight. They were givin the option of the Delayed Entry Program, when in this program you go back to your home town with the expectation that you will return in 3,6,9 months to have another physical done. During your delay time you are trained either on or off post with a recruiter in order to drop those pounds. I even know of a couple of instances in which over weight recruits were sent on to the Basic Training / AG and if they couldnt muster it they were put into a seperate unit before basic to help them drop the pounds.

Edited by Dredimus

eqgumby

"too fat to fight" is not a valid consideration for anyone except the military minded.

I think the point is, if you can't pass the pretty lax requirements to enter military service after high-school graduation, you're in pretty bad shape physically speaking.